VOLTAMMETRIC DETERMINATION OF DESLORATADINE IN PHARMACEUTICAL AND HUMAN URINE SAMPLES USING GLASSY CARBON ELECTRODE
Objective: The electrochemical behaviour of Desloratadine (DLTD) in pharmaceutical and human urine samples at glassy carbon electrode was investigated by cyclic voltammetry (CV) and square wave voltammetry (SWV).
Methods: A well defined reduction peak was observed at potential -1.55V in phosphate buffer solution (PBS) in basic medium. The reduction process was observed to be irreversible over the pH range from pH 2.0 to pH 10.0. The influence of different parameters such as the effect of pH, scan rate and concentration of the drug was studied. The probable reaction mechanism involved in the reduction of DLTD was also proposed. A SWV method with good recovery and accuracy was obtained for the determination of DLTD in pharmaceutical formulations and urine samples.
Results: The peak currents were found to be linearly dependent on the concentration range of 2.55x10-5to 1.5x10-3M of DLTD. The limit of detection (LOD) and limit of quantification (LOQ) were found to be 2.75x 10-9M, 3.20x 10-7 M respectively.
Conclusion: The proposed method was successfully applied for determination of DLTD in pharmaceutical and human urine samples.
2. Horak F, StÃ¼bner UP, Zieglmayer R, Harris AG. "Effect of desloratadine versus placebo on nasal airflow and subjective measures of nasal obstruction in subjects with grass pollen-induced allergic rhinitis in an allergen-exposure unit". J Allergy Clin Immunol 2002;109(6):956â€“61.
3. FCW Sutherland, AD de Jager, D Badenhorst, T Scanes, KHL Hundt, KJ Swart, AF Hundt. Sensitive liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for the determination of loratadine and its major active metabolite descarbo ethoxy loratadine in human plasma. J Chromatogr A 2001;(914):37â€“43.
4. OQP Yin, X Shi, MSS Chow. Reliable and specific high-performance liquid chromatographic determination of loratadine and its metabolite in human plasma. J Chromatogr B 2003;(796):165â€“72.
5. L Liu, MQP Wang, H Li, Liu LL, Qi M, Wang P, Li H. High-performance liquid chromatographic method for the bioequivalence evaluation of desloratadine fumarate tablets in dogs. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2004;(34):1013â€“9.
6. DT El-Sherbiny, N El-Enany, FF Belal, SH Hansen. Simultaneous determination of loratadine and desloratadine in pharmaceutical preparations using liquid chromatography with a micro emulsion as eluent. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2007;(43):1236â€“42.
7. HR Xu, X N Li, WL Chen, NN Chu. Simultaneous determination of desloratadine and its active metabolite 3-hydroxydesloratadine in human plasma by LC/MS/MS and its application to pharmacokinetics and bioequivalence. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2007;(45):659â€“66.
8. L Yang, RR Clement, B Kantesaria, L Reyderman, F Beaudry, C Grandmaison, L et al. J Chromatogr B 2003;(792):229â€“40.
9. J X Shen, H Wang, S Tadros, R N Hayes. Orthogonal extraction/chromatography and UPLC, two powerful new techniques for bioanalytical quantitation of desloratadine and 3-hydroxydesloratadine at 25 pg/mL. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2006;40:689â€“706.
10. R Johnson, J Christensen, CC Lin. Sensitive gas-liquid chromatographic method for the determination of loratadine and its major active metabolite, descarbo ethoxy loratadine, in human plasma using a nitrogen-phosphorus detector. J Chromatogr B 1994;(657):125â€“31.
11. D Zhong, H Blume. HPLC determination of loratadine and its active metabolite descarbo ethoxy loratadine in human plasma. Pharmazie 1994;(49):736â€“9.
12. OO Yin, X Shi, MS Chow. Reliable and specific high performance liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous determination of loratadine and its metabolite in human plasma. J Chromatogr B 2003;(796):165â€“72.
13. L Liu, M Qi, P Wang, H Li. High-performance liquid chromatographic method for the bioequivalence evaluation of desloratadine fumarate tablets in dogs J Pharm Biomed Anal 2004;(34):1013â€“9.
14. L Yang, RP Clement, B Kantesaria, L Reyderman, F Beaudry, C Grandmaison, et al. Validation of a sensitive and automated 96-well solid-phase extraction liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for the determination of desloratadine and 3-hydroxydesloratadine in human plasma. J Chromatogr B 2003;(792):229â€“40.
15. YF Zhang, XY Chen, DF Zhong, YM Dong. Pharmacokinetics of loratadine and its active metabolite descarbo ethoxy loratadine in healthy Chinese subjects. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2003;24:715â€“8.
16. Mara M Aleksi, Valentina L Radulovi. The possibility of simultaneous voltammetric determination of desloratadine and 3-Hydroxy desloratadine. Acta Chim Slov 2010;(57):686â€“92.