ASSOCIATION BETWEEN GENETIC POLYMORPHISMS OF HUMAN CYTOCHROME CYP2E1 AND RISK OF NASOPHARYNGEAL CARCINOMA IN ALGERIA POPULATION
Objective: The present study was carried out to analyze the relationship between CYP2E1 genetic polymorphism and the risk of developing nasopharyngeal cancer (NPC).
Methods: The study involved 100 patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma, compared with 180 healthy controls. Genomic DNA samples were assayed for restriction fragment length polymorphisms in the CYP2E1 by PCR amplification followed by digestion with RsaI. The frequency comparison between the two groups was determined by the Ï‡(2) test.
Results: Our results showed that the distribution of CYP2E1-/-allele frequency was found to be significantly different between controls (22 %) and cancer cases (26%) along with twice increase of the NPC risk in Algeria (OR=2.2, CI 95% [1.02-2.54]).
Conclusion: Our results are in line with those found for other populations and subsequent they emphasize the importance of the involvement of this gene in the development of the NPC detoxification process, which exhibited more and more strong association with environmental factors.
2. Blessy Samson, Jayabharathi B. Lived inexperience of women with breast cancer. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:80-4.
3. Amal Chandra Kataki, Malcolm J Simons, Ashok Kumar Das, Kalpana Sharma, et al. Nasopharyngeal carcinoma in the Northeastern states of India. Chin J Cancer 2011;30:106â€“13.
4. Parkin DM, Muir CS. Cancer Incidence in five continents: comparability and quality of data. IARC Sci Publ 1992;120:145-73.
5. Allan Hildesheim, Lucy M Anderson, Chien-Jen Chen, Yu-Juen Cheng, Louise A Brinton, Ann K Daly, et al. CYP2E1 genetic polymorphisms and risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in taiwan. J Natl Cancer Inst 1997;89:1208-12.
6. Nadia Laantri, Marilys Corbex, Râ€™kia Dardari, Abdellatif Benider, Brahim El Gueddari, Meriem Khyatti. Environmental, genetic and viral risk factors of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in North Africa. Inst Pasteur Int Network Annual Sci Meeting Hong Kong 2011;5:30.
7. Ju-Hong Jiang, Wei-Hua Jia, Han-Kui Chen, Bing-Jian Feng, Hai-De Qin, Zhi-Gang Pan, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of CYP2A13 and its relationship to nasopharyngeal carcinoma in the cantonese population. J Translational Med 2004;2:17-24.
8. Hildesheim A, Levine PH. Etiology of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Epidemiol Rev 1993;15:466â€“85.
9. Hildesheim A, Chen CJ, Caporaso NE, Cheng YJ, Hoover RN, Hsu MM, et al. Cytochrome P4502E1 genetic polymorphisms and risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: results from a case-control study conducted in Taiwan. Cancer Epidemiol Bios Prev 1995;4:607-10.
10. Jay Savai, Nancy Pandita, Meena Chintamaneni. Investigation of CYPA1 interaction potential of Withania Somnifera in rat and human liver microsomes. Int J Pharm Pharmacol Sci 2015; 7:274-8.
11. Changming Gao, Toshiro Takezaki, Jianzhong Wu. The interaction between cytochrome P-450 2E1 polymorphisms and environmental factors with risk of esophageal and stomach cancers in Chinese. Cancer Epidemiol Bio Prev 2002;11:29-34.
12. Wen Tan, Nan Song, Gui-Qi Wang. Individuals in china susceptibility to esophageal cancer among high-risk and glutathione s-transferases M1, T1, and P1 on the impact of genetic polymorphisms in cytochrome P450 2E1. Cancer Epidemiol Bio Prev 2000;9:551-6.
13. Jiaping Xue, Suping Yang, Seyha Seng. Mechanisms of cancer induction by tobacco-specific NNK and NNN. Cancers Basel 2014;6:1138â€“56.
14. Hayashi SI, Watanabe J, Kawajiri K. Genetic polymorphism in the 5-flanking region change transcriptional regulation of the human cytochrome P450IIE1 gene. J Biochem 1991;110:559â€“65.
15. Gao CM, Takezaki T, Wu JZ, Chen MB. CYP2E1 Rsa I polymorphism impacts on the risk of colorectal cancer associated with smoking and alcohol drinking. World J Gastroenterol 2007;13:5725-30.
16. Watanabe J, Hayashi SI, Kawajiri K. Different regulation and expression of the human CYP2E1 gene due to the RsaI poly-morphism in the 5-flanking region. J Biochem 1994;116:321â€“6.
17. Dai Y, Cederbaum AI. Cytotoxicity of acetaminophen in human cytochrome P4502E1-transfected HepG2 cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1995;273:1497â€“505.
18. Silva TD, Felipe AV, CAM Pimenta, K Barao. For ones CYP2E1 RsaI and 96-bp insertion genetic polymorphisms associated with risk for colorectal cancer. Genet Mol Res 2012;11:3138-45.
19. Kato S, Shields PG, Caporaso NE, Hoover RN, Trump BF, Sugimura H, et al. Cytochrome P4502E1 genetic polymorphisms, racial variation, and lung cancer risk. Cancer Res 1992;52:6712-5.
20. Roth MJ, Dawsey SM, Wang G, Tangrea JA, Zhou B, Ratnasinghe D, et al. Association between GSTM1*0 and squamous dysplasia of the esophagus in the high-risk region of Linxian, China. Cancer Lett 2000;156:73â€“81.
21. Lechevrel M, Casson AG, Wolf CR, Hardie LJ, Flinterman MB, Montesano R. Characterization of cytochrome P450 expression in human esophageal mucosa. Carcinogenesis 1999;20:243-8.
22. Setiawan VW, Zhang ZF, Yu GP, Li YL, Lu ML, Tsai CJ, et al. GSTT1 and GSTM1 null genotypes and the risk of gastric cancer: a case-control study in a Chinese population. Cancer Epidemiol Bio Prev 2000;9:73-80.
23. Haiman CA, Hankinson SE, Spiegelman D, Colditz GA, Willett WC, Speizer FE, et al. The relationship between a polymorphism in CYP17 with plasma hormone levels and breast cancer. Cancer Res 1999;59:1015-20.
24. Le Marchand L, Sivaraman L, Pierce L, Seifried A, Lum A, Wilkens LR, et al. Associations of CYP1A1, GSTM1, and CYP2E1 polymorphisms with lung cancer suggest cell type specificities to tobacco carcinogens. Cancer Res 1998;58:4858-63.
25. Li ZS, Tang W, Shao K, Zhang L, Lin DX. Susceptibility to lung cancer in Chinese is associated with genetic polymorphism in cytochrome P450 2E1. Chin J Oncol 2000;22:5-7.
26. Tan W, Song N, Wang GQ, Liu Q, Tang HJ, Kadlubar FF, et al. Impact of genetic polymorphisms in Cytochrome P450 2E1 and glutathione S-transferases M1, T1, and P1 on susceptibility to esophageal cancer among high-risk individuals in China. Cancer Epidemiol Bio Prev 2000;9:551-6.
27. Kiss I, Sandor J, Pajkos G, Bogner B, Hegedus G, Ember I. Colorectal cancer risk in relation to genetic polymorphism of cytochrome P4501A1, 2E1, and glutathione-S-transferase M1 enzymes. Anticancer Res 2000;20:519-22.
28. Nishimoto IN, Ha naoka T, Sugimura H, Nagura K, Ihara M, Li XJ, et al. Cytochrome P450 2E1 polymorphism in gastric cancer in Brazil: case-control studies of Japanese Brazilians and non-Japanese Brazilian s. Cancer Epidemiol Bio Prev 2000;9:675-80.
29. Cai L, Yu SZ, Ye WM, Yi YN. Fish sauce and gastric cancer: an ecological study in fujian province, China. World J Gastroenterol 2000;6:671-5.
30. Cai L, Yu SZ. A molecular epidemiological study on gastric cancer in Changle, Fujian Province. World J Gastroenterol 1999;7:652-5.
31. Zevin S, Benowitz NL. Drug interactions with tobacco smoking. Clin Pharmacokinet 1999;36:425-38.
32. Koop DR. Oxidative and reductive metabolism by cytochrome P450 2E1. FASEB J 1992;6:724â€“30.
33. Wen Tan, Nan Song, Gui-Qi Wang, Qing Liu, Huai-Jing Tang, Fred F, et al. Impact of genetic polymorphisms in cytochrome P450 2E1 and glutathione s-transferases M1, T1, and P1 on susceptibility to esophageal cancer among high-risk individuals in China. Cancer Epidemiol Bio Prev 2000;9:551â€“6.
34. Lin DX, Tang YM, Peng Q, Lu SX, Ambrosone CB, Kadlubar FF. Susceptibility to esophageal cancer and genetic polymorphisms in glutathione S-transferases T1, P1, and M1 and cytochrome P450 2E 1. Cancer Epidemiol Bio Prev 1998;7:1013-8.
35. Hayashi S, Watanabe J, Kawajiri K. Genetic polymorphisms in the 5'-flanking region change transcriptional regulation of the human cytochrome P450IIE1 gene. J Biochem 1991;110:6532-59.