PLANT PROFILE, PHYTOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY OF SPATHODEA CAMPANULATA P. BEAUVAIS (AFRICAN TULIP TREE): A REVIEW
Plants have been used as one of the important source for treating various diseases of human beings since ancient times. Numbers of plants are mentioned in different traditional system of medicine, among them Spathodea campanulata P. Beauvais is one of the important medicinal plant. Different parts of Spathodea campanulata such as flowers, leaves, stem, bark and roots have been reported for possessing anti-inflammatory, analgesic, cytotoxic, anti-diabetic and anticonvulsant activity. Phytochemical screening shows the presence of various secondary metabolites like alkaloids, tannins, flavonoids, glycosides and sterols. Relevant information and literature on Spathodea campanulata from electronic databases such as Academic Journals, Google, Google Scholar, Science Direct, PubMed and Web of Science were collected and analyzed. Available literatures evidently show that Spathodea campanulata possess a wide range of pharmacological activities that could be explained by the presence of variety of phytochemicals. The aim of the present review to provide detailed information regarding geographical distribution, phytochemicals and pharmacological properties of this plant.
2. Farnsworth NR, Akerele O, Bingel AS, Soejarto DD, Goo ZG. Medicinal plants in therapy. Bull WHO 1985;63:965-81.
3. Joly AB. Introduction to taxonomic vegetation. 7th ed. Sao Paulo: Ed. National; 1985.
4. Mensah AY, Houghton PJ, Dickson RA, Fleischer TC, Heinrich M, Bremner P. In vitro evaluation of effects of two Ghanaian plants relevant to wound healing. Phytother Res 2006;20:941-4.
5. Ngouela S, Tsamo E, Sondengam BL. Extractives from bignoniaceae: constituents of the stem bark of Spathodea campanulata. Planta Med 1988;54:476.
6. Niyonzima G, Laekernan G, Witvrouw M, Van Poel B, Pieters L. Hypoglycemic, anti-complement and anti-HIV activities of Spathodea campanulata stem bark. Phytomedicine 1999; 6:45-9.
7. Bosch CH. Spathodea campanulata P. Beauv. [Internet] Record from PROTA4U. Oyen, L. P. A. and Lemmens, R. H. M. J. (Editors); 2002.
8. Spangler RE, Olmstead RG. Phylogenetic analysis of bignoniaceae based on the cp DNA gene sequences rbcL and ndhF. Ann Mo Bot Gard 1999;86:33-46.
9. Orwa C, Mutua A. Agroforestre database: a tree reference and selection guide version; 2009.
10. Identic Pty Ltd. Special edition of Environmental Weeds of Australia for Biosecurity Queensland; 2016.
11. Abbiw DK. Useful plants of Ghana. Intermediate Technology publications Ltd: London, UK; 1990.
12. Mendes NM, De Souza CP, Araujo N, Pereira JP, Katz N. Molluscicidal activity of some natural products on biomphalaria glabrata. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 1986;81:87-91.
13. Brindha P, Nagarajan A, Saralla RP, R Narendran R, Sridharan K. A study on chemical and botanical standards of a traditional drug source Spathodea campanulata beauv. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:157-60.
14. Gormann R, Schreiber L, Kolodziej H. Cuticular wax profiles of leaves of some traditionally used African Bignoniaceae. Z Naturforsch C 2004;59:631-5.
15. Mbosso EJ, Ngouela S, Nguedia JC, Penlap V, Rohmer M, Tsamo E. Spathoside, a cerebroside and other antibacterial constituents of the stem bark of Spathodea campanulata. Nat Prod Res 2008;59:296-304.
16. Silvere N, Etienne T, Beibam L. Sondengam. Extractives from bignoniaceae: constituents of the stem bark of Spathodea campanulata. Planta Med 1988;54:476.
17. Gouda YG. Iridoids from Spathodea campanulata P. Beauvais leaves. Nat Prod Commun 2009;4:753-6.
18. El-Hela A. Phenolics from Spathodea campanulata Beauv leaves. Afr J Plant Sci 2001;27:152-62.
19. Amusan OO, Adesogan K, Makinde JM. Antimalarial active principles of Spathodea Campanulata stem bark. Phytother Res 1996;10:692-3.
20. Kumaresan M, Palanisamy PN, Kumar PE. Chemical investigation of the flower of Spathodea campanulata by GC-MS. J Nat Prod Plant Resour 2011;1:14-7.
21. Naglaa GS, Hanaa HE, Soheir M. Bioactivity and composition of the flowers of Spathodea campanulata p. Beauv World J Pharm Res 2014;3:213-30.
22. Emmanuel EI, Peter AA. Spathodea Campanulata: an experimental evaluation of the analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of a traditional remedy. Asian J Med Sci 2009;1:35-8.
23. Heim SC, Guarnier FA, Ferreira DT, Braz-Filho R, Cecchini R, Cecchini AL. Antioxidant activity of Spathodea campanulata (Bignoniaceae) extracts. Rev Bras Plant Med 2012;14:287-92.
24. Emmanuel EI, Peter AA, Theophine CO, Edwin OO. Anticonvulsant effects of a glycoside isolated from the leaf of Spathodea campanulata P. Beauv. J Med Plants Res 2010; 20:1895-900.
25. Charles A, Phyllis ED, Emmanuel A. Aqueous stem bark extract of Spathodea campanulata (P. Beauv) modulates carbon tetrachloride induced hepatic damage in rats. AJPT 2013;8:39-50.
26. Ofori-Kwakye K, Kwapong AA, Adu F. Antimicrobial activity of extracts and topical products of the stem bark of Spathodea campanulata for wound healing. Afr J Trad CAM 2009;6:168-74.
27. Makinde JM, Amusan OO, Adesogan EK. The antimalarial activity of Spathodea campanulata stems bark extract on Plasmodium berghei in mice. Planta Med 1988;54:122-5.
28. Victor K, Cedric T, Flora TM, Veronique PB, Thomas E. Cytotoxicity of methanolic extracts of 10 Cameroonian medicinal plants towards multi-factorial drug-resistant cancer cell lines. BMC Complementary Altern Med 2016;16:1-18.
29. Adio GI, Faluyi JO, Osoniyi O. Evaluation of the effect of Spathodea campanulata flower bud exudates on Cataractogenesis in rat lenses. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 2014;11:83-91.
30. Driana P, Jurandir PP, Dalva TF, Noemia KI, Raimundo B. Iridoid glucoside and antifungal phenolic compounds from Spathodea campanulata roots. Semina: CiÃªncias AgrÃ¡rias, Londrina 2007;28:251-6.
31. Tanayen JK. Phytochemical and antidiabetic evaluation of the methanolic stem bark extract of Spathodea campanulata (P. Beauv.) bignoniaceae. Pharmacogn J 2016;8:243-8.
32. Patil VV, Patil SB, Kondawar MS, Naikwade NS, Magdum CS. Study of methanolic extract of the flower of Spathodea campanulata L. as an anti-solar. Int J Green Pharm 2008;3:248-9.
33. Ilodigwe EE, Akah PA, Nworu CS. Evaluation of the Acute and Subchronic Toxicities of ethanol leaf extract of Spathodea campanulata P. Beauv. IJAR Nat Prod 2010;3:17-21.