ISOLATION AND CHARACTERISATION OF NOVEL IMPURITY OF LANSOPRAZOLE FORMED IN THERMAL STRESS CONDITION
Objective: The aim of the research work is to study the degradation of Lansoprazole in stress condition which is a proton pump inhibitor and controls the production of gastric acid in stomach. Thermal stress condition has been used to check the stability of the compound, in which one new degradation product was generated.
Methods: The USP method for the identification of related compounds of Lansoprazole shows three known impurities N-Oxide impurity, Sulphone impurity and sulphide impurity. New degradation product formed in stress condition has been separated from the drug product and other known impurities by using Clarity Oligo RP column (250 mm x 4.6 mm, 5Âµ) and 10 mM Ammonium Acetate -Acetonitrile as a mobile phase. Same method has been scaled up on mass based preparative HPLC for the isolation of new degradation product.
Results: The isolated impurity was structurally elucidated with 1H NMR, C NMR, HMBC, HSQC and HRMS. From the characterization studies it was found that novel impurity has 164.04 molecular weight with molecular formula C8H8N2S. The degradation productâ€™s structure was matched with 2-(Methylthio)-1H-benzo[d]imidazole per recorded analysis data.
Conclusion: Isolated impurity was found to be novel and not reported in the literature. This method can be used for the degradation study of Lansoprazole and purification of novel impurity from drug and other degradation products
2. International Conference on Harmonization. ICH, â€œStability Testing of New Drug Substances and Products (Q1AR). IFPMA, Geneva; 2000.
4. Papanaboina Venkata Rao, Morisetty Nagendra Kumar, Maram Ravi Kumar. A novel, validated stability-indicating uplc method for the estimation of lansoprazole and its impurities in bulk drug and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Scipharm 2013;81:183-93.
5. Idrees F. Al-Momani, Majdoleen H Rababah. Validation of HPLC and FIA spectrophotometric methods for the determination of Lansoprazole in pharmaceutical dosage forms and human plasma. Am J Anal Chem 2010;1:34-9.
6. S Muthu Kumar, D Selva Kumar, T RajKumar, E Udhaya Kumar, A Suba Geetha, Dinesh Diwedi. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC method for the estimation of Lansoprazole in tablet dosage form. J Chem Pharm Res 2010;2(6):291-5.
7. Yanfei Luo, Lishuang Xu, Ming Xu, Jia Feng, Xing Tang. A Validated, specific, stability indicating HPLC method for determination of lansoprazole enteric coated capsules and related impurities. Asian J Pharm Sci 2012;7(2):149-54.
8. Patel P, Dedani Z, Dedani R, Ramolia C, Sagar V, Mehta RS. Simultaneous estimation of lansoprazole and domperidone in combined dosage form by RP-HPLC. Asian J Res Chem 2009;2:210â€“2.
9. Brown SD, Connor JD, Smallwood NC, Lugo RA. Quantification of lansoprazole in oral suspension by ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography hybridion-trap time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Int J Anal Chem 2011;2011:832414.
10. Olivera CH, Barrientos-Astigarraga RE, Abib E, Mendes GD, da Silva DR, de Nucci G. Lansoprazole quantification in human plasma by liquid chromatographyâ€“electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B 2003;783:453â€“9.
11. Katsuki H, Hamada A, Nakamura C, Arimori K, Nakano M. High-performance liquid chromatographic assay for the simultaneous determination of lansoprazole enantiomer sand metabolites in human liver microsomes. J Chromatogr B 2011;757:127â€“33.
12. Cirilli R, Ferretti R, Gallinella B, Turchetto L, Zanitti L, La Torre F. Development and validation of an enantioselective and chemoselective HPLC method using a ChiralpakI Acolumn to simultaneously quantify (R)-(+)-and(S)-(âˆ’)-lansoprazoleenantiomers and related impurities. J Pharm Biom Anal 2009;50:9â€“14.
13. Petkovska R, Cornett C, Dimitrovska A. Chemometrical approach in lansoprazole and its related compounds analysis by rapid resolution RP-HPLC method. J Liqu Chromatogr Rel Technol 2008;31:2159â€“73.
14. Srinivas KSV, Mukkanti K, Buchireddy R, Srinivasulu P. Detection, isolation and characterisation of principal synthetic route indicative impurity in lansoprazole. E-J Chem 2010;7(3):844-8.
15. Reddy GM, Mukkanti K, Laxmi Kumar T, Moses Babu J, Reddy PP. Synthesis and characterization of metabolites and potential impurities of lansoprazole, an antiulcerative drug. Synth Commun 2008;38:3477â€“89.
16. Ramulu K, Rao BM, Someswara Rao N. Identification, Isolation and characterization of potential degradation product in lansoprazole drug substance. Rasayan J Chem 2013;6(4):274-83.