INHIBITION OF TUMOUR NECROSIS FACTOR (TNF) ACTIVITY BY A NEW ERGOSTANE STEROID FROM CLEOME DROSERIFOLIA
Objective: To isolate steroidal compound from Cleome droserifolia and explore its activity against tumour necrosis factor (TNF) using molecular docking studies.
Methods: Extraction of the plant material was carried using two successive solvents and three compounds were isolated using column chromatography. The isolated compounds were identified using different spectroscopic data such as 1D, 2D nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy (UV-Visible), fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR) and electrospray ionization mass spectroscopy (ESI-MS). Molecular docking was carried in order to investigate the activity of the ergostane derivative as tumour necrosis factor inhibitor.
Results: Two steroidal compounds were isolated and identified as ergost-5,7,9,24 (28)-tetraen-3-one (1) and Î²-sitosterol glucoside (3) by means of spectroscopic measurement. 1-dodecanol (2) was also isolated. The ergostane derivative showed several binding sites with TNF-Î±
Conclusion: The new ergostane derivative isolated from the aerial parts of Cleome droserifolia is introduced to serve as a potential tumour necrosis factor inhibitor and may be used as a lead compound for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Fathy HM, Aboushoer MI, Harraz FM, Omar AA, Goetz G, Tabacchi R. Dolabellane diterpenes from Cleome droserifolia. Nat Prod Commun 2008;3:1555-9475.
3. Diab LI. Pharmacognostical study of certain Cleome species growing in Egypt. M. Sc. thesis, AL-Azhar University, Egypt; 1992.
4. Aboushoer MI, Fathy HM, Abdel-Kader MS, Goetz G, Omar AA. Terpenes and flavonoids from an Egyptian collection of Cleome droserifolia. Nat Prod Res 2010;24:7, 687-96.
5. Chatzantoni K, Mouzaki A. Anti-TNF-alpha antibody therapies in autoimmune diseases. Curr Top Med Chem 2006;6:1707-14.
6. Yasuhisa A, Kumiko I, Kazutoshi S, Hideki K, Daisuke F. Identification of 14-dehydroergosterol as a novel anti-inflammatory compound inducing tolerogenic dendritic cells. Sci Rep UK 2017;7:13903.
7. Oanh TPK, Manh DL, Hoang XT, Hai VN. In silico studies for the interaction of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-Î±) with different saponins from vietnamese ginseng (Panax vietnamesis). Biophys Physicobiol 2016;13:173â€“80.
8. Gayathri CR, Vanitha S, Felix JW, Nirmala P. Comparative analysis of efficacy and safety of diacerein versus s-adenosyl methionine in the management of osteoarthritis of knee joint. Int J Chem Pharm Res 2017;6:46-51.
9. Kasal A, Budesinsky M, Griffiths WJ. Spectroscopic methods of steroid analysis. In: Makin HLJ, Gower DB, Kirk DN. Eds. Steroid Analysis. Springer, Dordrecht; 1995.
10. Khan NMM, Hossain MdS. Scopoletin and Î²-sitosterol glucoside from roots of Ipomoea digitata. J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2015;4:5-7.
11. www.sigmaaldrich.com [Last accessed on 20 Dec 2017].