ANTI-TYROSINASE AND CYTOTOXICITY ACTIVITIES OF CURCUMIN-METAL COMPLEXES
Objective: The objective of this study is investigating the potential of curcumin metal complexes in pharmaceutical and cosmetic products.
Methods: Curcumin was complexed with five divalent transition metals (Zn(II), Cu(II), Fe(II), Mn(II), and Mg(II)) and then investigated for their anti-tyrosinase activity and their mode of inhibition against mushroom tyrosinase and cytotoxicity against KB and MCF-7 cell lines.
Results: The tyrosinase inhibition of curcumin increased in the presence of Mn (II) and Zn (II); however, the activity was reduced after complexingwith Cu (II), Fe (II), and Mg (II). Curcumin manganese complex (curcumin-Mn) exhibited the highest potent anti-tyrosinase activity with classical noncompetitive inhibitor which showed the inhibition constant (KI)of 3.57 Âµg/mL(7.58Âµg/mL for free curcumin). For the cytotoxicity against KB and MCF7 cell lines, free curcumin showed cytotoxicity against both KB (IC50 9.58 mg/mL) and MCF7 (13.86 mg/mL) cancer cell lines;Â Â whereas, it was found to be lower in the metal complexes.
Conclusion: This study suggests a potential use of the curcumin-Mn and Zn as a depigmentation agent in cosmetic products.
2. Aggarwal BB, Sundaram C, Malani N. Curcumin: The Indian solid gold. Adv Bot Res 2007;595:1-75.
3. Jayaprakasha GK, Jagan L, Rao M, Sakariah KK. Antioxidant activities of curcumin, demethoxycurcumin and bisdemethoxycurcumin. Food Chem 2006;98:720-4.
4. Khunlad P, Tundulawessa Y, Supasiri T, Chutrtong W. Tyrosinaseinhibitory activity of curcuminoids from powder of turmeric (Curcuma longa Linn.). J SWU Sci 2006;1:125-39.
5. Tonnesen HH, Masson M, Loftsson T. Studies of curcumin and curcuminoids XXVII. cyclodextrincomplexation: solubility, chemical and photochemical stability. Int J Pharmacol 2002;244:127â€“35.
6. Sowbhagya HB, Sampathu SR, Vatsala CN, Krishnamurthy N. Stability of curcumin, a natural yellow colourant during processing and storage of fruit bread. J Food Engin 2005;3:367â€“71.
7. Thakam A, Saewan N. Stability of emulsion containing curcumin Zn (II) and Mg (II) complexes. HPC Today 2014;9:44-7.
8. Barik A, Mishra B, Kunwar A, Kadam RM, Shen L, Dutta S, et al. Comparative study of copper (II)-curcumin complexes as superoxide dismutase mimics and free radical scavenger. Eur J Med Chem 2007;42:431-9.
9. Vajragupta O, Boonchoong P, Watanabe H, Tohda M, Kummasud N, Sumanont Y. Manganese complexes of curcumin and its derivatives: Evaluation for the radical scavenging ability and neuroprotective activity. Free Radical Bio Med 2003;35:1632â€“44.
10. Thakam A, Saewan N. Antioxidant activities of curcumin-metal complexes. Thai J Agr Sci 2011;44:188-93.
11. Briganti S, Camera E, Picardo M. Chemical and instrumentalapproaches to treat hyperpigmentation. Pigment Cell Res 2003;16:101-10.
12. Hearing VJ, Jimenez M. Mammalian tyrosinase-the critical regulatory control point in melanocyte pigmentation. Int J Biochem 1987;19:1141-7.
13. Kim YM, Yun J, Lee CK, Lee H, Min KR, Kim Y. Oxy resveratrol and hydroxyl-stilbene compounds, inhibitory effect on tyrosinase and mechanism of action. J Biol Chem 2002;277:16340-4.
14. Shimizu K, Kondo R, Sakai K. Inhibition of tyrosinasebyflavonoids, stilbenes and related 4-substituted resorcinols: Structureâ€“activity investigation. Planta Med 2000;66:11â€“5.
15. Son SM, Moon KD, Lee CY. Rhubarb juice as a natural antibrowing agent. J Food Sci 2000;65:1288-9.
16. Rangkadilok N, Sitthimonchai S, Worasuttayangkurn L, Mahidol C, Ruchirawut M, Satayavivad J. Evaluation of free radical scavenging and antityrosinase activities of standardized longan fruit extract. Food Chem Toxicol 2007;45:328â€“36.
17. Oâ€™Brien J, Wilson I, Orton T, Pognan F. Investigation of the Alamar blue (resazurin) fluorescent dye for the assessment of mammalian cell cytotoxicity. Eur J Biochem 2000;267:5421-6.
18. Zhou X, Jiang T, Wang L, Yang H, Zhang S, Zhou P. Interaction of curcumin with Zn(II) and Cu(II) ions based on experiment and theoretical calculation. J Mol Struct 2010;984:316-25.
19. Chang TS. An update review of tyrosinase inhibitors. Int J Mol Sci 2009;10:2440-75.
20. Mutasim IK, Al-Zahem AM, Al-Qunaibit MH. Synthesis, characterization, mossbauer parameter and antitumor activity of Fe (III) curcumin complex. Bioinorg Chem Appl 2013;1-5.