LIQUISOLID COMPACTS: AN INNOVATIVE APPROACH FOR DISSOLUTION ENHANCEMENT
The challenge faced by the majority of the pharmaceutical products is the poor solubility of the drug candidates which leads to low bioavailability. Liquisolid compact is one of the emerging techniques that enhances the dissolution of poorly water soluble drugs. Liquisolid system mentions to the formulation made by the transforming the liquid drug, either in the form of suspension or solution in non volatile solvents into a dry, non-sticky, free-flowing and compactable powder mixtures. This is achieved by mixing the suspension or solution of the drug with appropriate carriers and coating agents. The technology has the ability to increase aqueous solubility, rate of dissolution and absorption of poorly soluble drug by keeping it in molecularly dispersed form leading to its improved bioavailability when compared to conventional tablets. Liquisolid technology is the impending approach for enhancing the solubility of poorly water-soluble drug by adopting simple manufacturing process and low production cost.
2. Sowmya C, Reddy CS, Anilkumar D, Amrutha V, Anusha AL. Liquisolid technique: A novel approach to enhance solubility and bioavailability of BCS II drugs. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:108-15.
3. Sanjay PD, Deepak M, Bhanudas SR. Liquisolid technology: a technique for formulation with enhanced bioavailability. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;3:368-87.
4. Sanka Krishna, Sravanthi Poienti, Abdul Bari Mohd, Prakash V Diwan. Improved oral delivery of clonazepam through Liquisolid powder compact formulation: in vitro and ex vivo characterization. Powder Technol 2014;256:336-44.
5. Peddi MG. Novel drug delivery system: liquid-solid compact. J Mol Pharm Org Proc Res 2013;1:1-5.
6. Swati M. Solubility enhancement of a drug by liquisolid technique. Int J Pharm Chem Bio Sci 2014;4:339-44.
7. Sahir V, Ghuge N, Bakde BV. Liquisolid compact: a new technique for enhancement of drug dissolution. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2012;4:302-6.
8. Baby JN, Manjila SB, Bijen EN, Constantine I, Pramod K, Valsalakumari J. Design and technology of liquisolid compacts. J Appl Pharm Sci 2013;3:111-9.
9. Grover R, Spireas S, Wang T. Effect of powder substrate on the dissolution properties of methchrothiazide liquisolid compacts. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 1999;25:163-8.
10. Papadimitriou SA, Bikiaris D, Avgoustakis K. Microwave-induced enhancement of the dissolution rate of poorly water-soluble tibolone from poly (ethylene glycol) solid dispersions. J Appl Polymer Sci 2008;108:1249-58.
11. Schiermeier S, Schmidt PC. Fast dispersible ibuprofen tablet. Eur J Pharm Sci 2002;15:295-305.
12. Tiong N, Elkordy AA. Effects of liquisolid formulations on the dissolution of naproxen. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2009;73:373-84.
13. Nagabandi VK, Ramarao T, Jayaveera KN. Liquisolid Compacts. A novel approach to enhance bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2011;1:89-102.
14. Spireas S, Sadu S. Enhancement of prednisolone dissolution properties using liquisolid compacts. Int J Pharm 1998;166:177-88.
15. Javadzadeh Y, Jafari-Navimipour B, Nokhodchi A, et al. a Liquisolid technique for dissolution rate enhancement of a high dose water-insoluble drug (carbamazepine). Int J Pharm 2007;341:26â€“34.
16. Hentzschel CM, Sakmann A, Leopold CS. Suitability of various excipients as carrier and coating materials for liquisolid compacts. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2011;37:1200â€“7.
17. Hasanandini J, Parthibans S, Vilkeuwari A. Dissolution enhancement technique of poorly soluble drug by Liquisolid compact. Int J Res Pharm Nanol Sci 2014;3:298-304.
18. Nokhodchi A, Hentzschel CM, Leopold CS. Drug release from liquisolid systems: speed it up, slow it down. Expert Opinion Drug Delivery 2011;8:191-205.
19. Panda S, Varaprasad R, Priyanka K, Swain RP. Liquisolid technique: a novel approach for dosage form design. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:8-14.
20. Komala DR, Janga KY, Jukanti R. Competence of raloxifene hydrochloride loaded liquisolid compacts for improved dissolution and intestinal permeation. J Drug Delivery Sci Technol 2015;30:232â€“41.
21. Kumar Nagabandi V, Ramarao T, Jayaveera KN. Liquisolid compacts: a novel approach to enhance bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2011;1:89-102.
22. Pezzini BR, Beringhs AO, Ferraz HG. Liquisolid technology applied to pellets: evaluation of the feasibility and dissolution performance using felodipine as a model drug. Chem Eng Res 2016;110:62-9.
23. Khaled KA. Formulation and evaluation of hydrochlorothiazide liquisolid tablets. Saudi Pharm J 1998;6:39-46.
24. Tayel SA, Soliman II, Louis D. Improvement of dissolution properties of carbamazepine through the application of the liquisolid tablet technique. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2008; 69:342-7.
25. Rasenack N, Hartenhauer H, Muller BW. Microcrystals for dissolution rate enhancement of poorly water-soluble drugs. Int J Pharm 2003;254:137-45.
26. Azarmi S, Farid J, Nokhodchi A, Bahari-Saravi SM, Valizad H. Thermal treating as a tool for sustained release of indomethacin from Eudragit RS and RL matrices. Int J Pharm 2002;246:171-7.
27. Azarmi S, Farid D, Azodi-Deylami S, Ghaffari F, Nokhodchi A. The influence of Thermal treatment on the release behaviour of diclofenac sodium from an acrylic material. Pharm Dev Technol 2005;10:233-9.
28. Ghorab MM, Salam HM, El-Sayad MA. Tablet formulation containing meloxicam and Î²-cyclodextrin: mechanical characterization and bioavailability evaluation. AAPS Pharm SciTech 2004;5:1-6.
29. Gubbi S, R Jarag. Liquisolid technique for enhancement of dissolution properties of Bromhexine Hydrochloride. Res J Pharm Tech 2009;2:382-6.
30. Nokhodchi A, Y Javadzadeh, L Mosaalrezaei. Liquisolid technique for sustaining the drug release from compacts. J Pharm Res 2007;59:20-8.
31. Nokhodchi A. Liquisolid compacts: the effect of cosolvent and HPMC on theophylline release. Colloids Surf B 2010;79:262-9.
32. Gonjari ID, AB Karmarkar, AH Hosmani. Evaluation of in vitro dissolution profile comparison methods of sustained release tramadol hydrochloride liquisolid compact formulations with marketed sustained-release tablets. DJNB 2009;4:30-5.
33. Savkare AD, Bhavsar MR, Gholap VD, Kukkar PM. Liquisolid technique: a review. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017;8:2768-75.
34. Kulkarni AS, Aloorkar NH, Mane MS, Gaja JB. Liquisolid systems: a review. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotech 2010;3:795â€“802.
35. Javadzadeh Y, Jafari-Navimipour B, Nokhodchi A. Liquisolid technique for dissolution rate enhancement of a high dose water-insoluble drug (carbamazepine). Int J Pharm 2007;341:26â€“34.
36. Sharma G, Khatry S, Arora S. Formulation and characterization of liquisolid compacts of valsartan. J Pharm Res 2012;5:4158â€“62.
37. Khan A, Agrawal S. Formulation and evaluation of lumefantrine capsule prepared by using the liquisolid technique. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018:10:43-50.
38. Boghra R, Mahyavanshi T, Patel A, Sarode N, Jadhav N. Formulation and evaluation of Simvastatin liquisolid tablets. Asian J Pharm Sci Clin Res 2011:1:16-26.
39. Spireas S, Jarowski CI, Rohera BD. Powdered solution technology: principles and mechanism. Pharm Res 1992;9:1351â€“8.
40. Spireas S, Sadu S, Grover R. In vitro release evaluation of Hydrocortisone liquisolid tablets. J Pharma Sci 1998;87:867-72.
41. Hitesh Jain, Pasha TY, Bais CS, Anil Bhandari. Formulation and characterization of liquisolid tablets of Valsartan for improvement of dissolution rate. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:21-6.
42. Saharan, Kukkar V, Kataria M, Gera M, Choudhury P. Dissolution enhancement of drugs. Part I: technologies and effect of carriers. Int J Health Res 2009;2:107-24.
43. Pawar JD, Jagtap RS, Doijad RC, Pol SV, Desai JR, Jadhav VV, et al. Liquisolid compacts: a promising approach for solubility enhancement. J Drug Delivery Ther 2017;7:6-11.
44. Stegemann S, Leveiller F. When poor solubility becomes an issue: From early stage to proof of concept. Eur J Pharm Sci 2016;31:249-56.
45. Gavhane KS, Sayyed F. Liquisolid compact a review. Int J Pharm Bio Res 2013;4:26-31.
46. Patel N. Liquisolid dosage system: a novel approach for dosage formulation. J Pharm Sci Biosci Res 2014;4:125-30.
47. Parthasarathi S, Anandharamakrishnan C. Enhancement of oral bioavailability of vitamin E by spray-freeze drying of whey protein microcapsules. Food Bioproducts Processing 2016;100:469-76.
48. Panda S, Varaprasad R, Priyanka K, Swain RP. Liquisolid technique: a novel approach for dosage form design. Int J Appl Pharm 2017:9:8-14.
49. Thakur N, Khokra S, Sharma D, Purohit R, Arya V. A review on pharmaceutical application of liquisolid echnique. Am J Pharma Tech Res 2011;1:1-18.
50. Sanjay PD, Deepak M, Bhanudas SR. Liquisolid technology: a technique for formulation with enhanced bioavailability. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;2:368-81.
51. Khaled KA, Asiri YA, El-Sayed YM. In vivo evaluation of hydrochlorothiazide liquisolid tablet in beagles dogs. Int J Pharm 2001;222:1-6.
52. Rakshit P, Ridhish P, Moinuddin S. Formulation and evaluation of liquisolid compacts of piroxicam. Indian Drugs 2007;44:967-72.
53. Aher SB, Shinkar DM, Saudagar RB. Liquisolid dosage system: a novel approach for dosage formulation. Benefits Int J Pharm 2014;10:11-5.
54. Fahmy RH, Kassem MA. Enhancement of famotidine dissolution rate through liquisolid tablets formulation: in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Eur J Pharma Biopharm 2008;69:993-1003.
55. Chella N, Shastri N, Tadikonda RR. Use of the liquisolid compact technique for improvement of the dissolution rate of valsartan. Acta Pharma Sin B 2012;2:502-8.
56. Lu M, Xing H, Jiang J, Chen X, Yang T, Wang D, et al. Liquisolid technique and its application in pharmaceutics. Asian J Pharm Sci 2016;12:115-23.
57. Sander C, Holm P. Porous magnesium aluminometasilicate tablets as a carrier of a cyclosporine self-emulsifying formulation. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2009;10:1388-95.
58. Schlack H, Bauer brandel A, Schubert R, Becker D. Properties of fujicalin a new modified anhydrous dibasic calcium phosphate for direct compression: Comparison with dicalcium phosphate dihydrate. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2001;27:789-801.