FACILE AND SENSITIVE HPLC-UV METHOD FOR DETERMINATION OF NINTEDANIB IN RAT PLASMA
Objective: In this study, a facile and sensitive high-performance liquid chromatographic method for determination of nintedanib in rat plasma was developed and validated.
Methods: After plasma protein was precipitated by addition of acetonitrile, the supernatant underwent centrifugation. An aliquot was then injected into a high-performance liquid chromatographic system with a Mightysil RP-18 GP II ODS column (250 Ã— 3.0 mm, length by inner diameter, 5-Î¼m particle size) maintained at 50 Â°C. A mobile phase mixture of 20 mmol phosphate buffer (pH 3.0) and acetonitrile (7:3, v/v) was used at a flow rate of 0.6â€‰mL/min, with UV detection at a wavelength of 390 nm for isocratic separation and detection of nintedanib, its main metabolite (BIBF1202), and p-nitrophenol as an internal standard.
Results: The quantitative range of nintedanib concentration in this method was 12.5â€“400 ng/ml, and the calibration curves were linear. The intra-and inter-day accuracy values (relative errors) were in the range of âˆ’3.65%â€“4.00% and âˆ’3.65%â€“3.64%, respectively. The intra-and inter-day precision values (relative standard deviations) were<5.9% and 8.36%, respectively. The method was successfully applied to a pharmacokinetic analysis of nintedanib in rats after intravenous administration.
Conclusion: In this study, a rapid, sensitive, and simple HPLC-UV method for the quantitation of nintedanib in rat plasma was developed and validated. The method was shown to be accurate and precise and was successfully applied to a pharmacokinetic study.
2. Hostettler KE, Zhong J, Papakonstantinou E, Karakiulakis G, Tamm M, Seidel P, et al. Anti-fibrotic effects of nintedanib in lung fibroblasts derived from patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respir Res 2014;15:157.
3. McCormack PL. Nintedanib: first global approval. Drugs 2015;75:129-39.
4. Mazzei ME, Richeldi L, Collard HR. Nintedanib in the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Ther Adv Respir Dis 2015;9:121-9.
5. Yamamoto N, Horiike A, Fujisaka Y, Murakami H, Shimoyama T, Yamada Y, et al. Phase I dose-finding and pharmacokinetic study of the oral epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor Ro50-8231 (erlotinib) in Japanese patients with solid tumors. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2008; 61:489-96.
6. Nakamura Y, Sano K, Soda H, Takatani H, Fukuda M, Nagashima S, et al. Pharmacokinetics of gefitinib predict antitumor activity for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2010;5:1404-9.
7. Ogura T, Taniguchi H, Azuma A, Inoue Y, Kondoh Y, Hasegawa Y, et al. Safety and pharmacokinetics of nintedanib and pirfenidone in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Eur Respir J 2015;45:1382-92.
8. Xiang QF, Wang F, Su XD, Liang YJ, Zheng LS, Mi YJ, et al. Effect of BIBF 1120 on the reversal of ABCB1-mediated multidrug resistance. Cell Oncol (Dordr) 2011;34:33-44.
9. Lin D, Qiao LM, Zhang YN, Liu Y, Liu XS. Simultaneous determination of nintedanib and its metabolite by UPLC-MS/MS in rat plasma and its application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2016;117:173-7.
10. Abdessadek M, Tadmori AE, Attari AE, Diarra M, Magoul R, Ajdi F, et al. a Simple HPLC-UV method for determination of metformin in human plasma and erythrocytes application to therapeutic drug monitoring. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:35-9.
11. Farooqui NA, Dey A, Singh GN, Easwari TS. Development and validation of HPLC method for quantitative estimation of nimbolide in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:432-7.
12. Purnachand D, Veerareddy A, Ramadevi B, Kameswarrao CVSL, Reddy GS, Madhusudhanreddy B. Development and validation of a simple and sensitive stability indicating RP-HPLC assay method for determination of Nintedanib and stress degradation studies. J Chem Pharm Res 2015;7:774-82.
13. Stopfer P, Rathgen K, Bischoff D, Ludtke S, Marzin K, Kaiser R, et al. Pharmacokinetics and metabolism of BIBF 1120 after oral dosing to healthy male volunteers. Xenobiotica 2011;41:297-311.
14. Raghu G, Rochwerg B, Zhang Y, Garcia CA, Azuma A, Behr J, et al. An official ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT clinical practice guideline: treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. An Update of the 2011 Clinical Practice Guideline. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015;192:e3-19.
15. Eisen T, Shparyk Y, Macleod N, Jones R, Wallenstein G, Temple G, et al. Effect of small angiokinase inhibitor nintedanib (BIBF 1120) on QT interval in patients with previously untreated, advanced renal cell cancer in an open-label, phase II study. Invest. New Drugs 2013;31:1283-93.
16. Kropff M, Kienast J, Bisping G, Berdel WE, Gaschler-Markefski B, Stopfer P, et al. An open-label dose-escalation study of BIBF 1120 in patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma. Anticancer Res 2009;29:4233-8.
17. Xu XW, Su XJ, Zhang YN, Zheng XK, Lv PF, Hu J. Simultaneous determination of nintedanib and its metabolite BIBF 1202 in different tissues of mice by UPLC-MS/MS and its application in drug tissue distribution study. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2015;1002:239-44.