ANTI-DIABETIC ACTIVITY OF HYDROALCOHOLIC EXTRACT OF EUGENIA JAMBOLANA LEAVES IN ALLOXAN INDUCED DIABETIC RATS
Objective: The present study was carried out to evaluate the antidiabetic activity of hydroalcoholic extracts of Eugenia jambolana leaves.
Methods: The hydroalcoholic extracts of Eugenia jambolana by alloxan induced diabetic rats for 20 days. At high dose (400â€‰mg/kg) it is exhibited significant anti- hyperglycaemic activity than hydroalcoholic extracts of Eugenia jambolana at low dose (200â€‰mg/kg) in diabetic rats.
Results: The hydroalcoholic extracts of Eugenia jambolana also showed improvement in parameters like body weight, Serum Cholesterol level and hepatic glycogen as well as regeneration of beta-cells of pancreas in diabetic rats.
Conclusion: Histopathological studies reinforce the healing of kidney by hydroalcoholic extracts of Eugenia jambolana leaves as a possible mechanism of their antidiabetic activity. The present study provides a proof for the strong chemo taxonomical relationship for the plant
2. Cox DJ, Gonder Frederick LA, Clarke WL. Driving decrements in type 1 diabetes during moderate hypoglycemia. Diabetes J 1993;42(2):239-43.
3. Kumar GPS, Arulselvan P, Kumar DS, Subramanian SP. Anti-diabetic activity of fruits of Terminalia chebula on streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. J Health Sci 2006;52(3):283-91.
4. Sumana G, Suryawashi SA. Effect of vinca rosea extracts in treatenent of alloxan diabetes in male albino rats. Indian J Experimental Biol 2001;39:748-58.
5. Holman RR, Turner RC. Oral agents and insulin in the treatment of NIDDM in Text Book of Diabetes; 1991. p. 467-9.
6. OCED 425 guidelines. OCED Guidelines for testing animals 2001;26;1-26.
7. Kameswrarao B, Giri R, Kesavalu MM, Apparao CH. Herbal medicine in the Management by Indigenous Resources 1997;375-7.
8. Kameswara Rao B, Kesavulu MM, Apparao CH. Antihyperglycemic activity of Momordica cymbalaria in alloxan diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2001;78(1): 67-71.
9. Kannur DM, Hukkeri VI, Akki KS. Antidiabetic activity of Caesalpinia bonducella seeds extracts in rats. Fitoterapia 2006;77:546-9.