ANALYTICAL METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF CURCUMIN AND CYCLOSPORINE BY RP-HPLC
Objective: The present work was undertaken with an aim to develop and validate a rapid reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method for the estimation of curcumin and cyclosporine in the capsule dosage form.
Methods: The RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of curcumin and cyclosporine was developed using Agilent (Infinity 1260) HPLC system and Eclipse XDB-C18 (4.6 x 150 mm i.d., 5µ) stationary phase. The optimized mobile phase comprised of acetonitrile: water: methanol (50: 10: 40 v/v/v) pumped at a flow rate of 0.5 ml/min. Separation of drugs was achieved in an isocratic mode and elution was monitored using PDA detector at 214 nm. The method was validated as per ICH-Q2R1 guidelines.
Results: Retention time of the curcumin and cyclosporine were found to be 3.073 min and 6.373 min with the correlation coefficient (R2) of 0.9993 and 0.998 respectively. The response of curcumin and cyclosporine was found linear in the concentration range of 8-48 μg/ml and 4-24 μg/ml respectively. The percent recovery values were found in the range of 97-103% indicating satisfactory accuracy of the method. The percent relative standard deviation (% RSD) values for the precision study was less than 2 which suggest that the method is precise.
Conclusion: The proposed method was found accurate, precise and specific for the determination of curcumin and cyclosporine in bulk as well as in capsule dosage form. Thus, the present method can be used for routine analysis and quality control of curcumin and cyclosporine in bulk and capsule dosage form.
2. Lee KJ, Kim YS, Ma JY. Separation and identification of curcuminoids from Asian turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) using RP-HPLC and LC-MS. Asian J Chem 2013;25:909-12.
3. Pathania V, Gupta AP, Singh B. Improved HPTLC method for determination of curcuminoids from curcuma longa. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 2006;29:877-87.
4. Panigrahi S, Hirlekar R. A new stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for determination of curcumin: an application to the nanoparticulate formulation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:149-55.
5. Sharma S, Saraogi GK, Kumar V. Development of spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of artesunate and curcumin in a liposomal formulation. Int J Appl Pharm 2015;7:18-21.
6. Dong WK, Abid MY, Dong XL, John OK, Chul SY, Kwan HC, et al. Development of RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of docetaxel and curcumin in rat plasma: validation and stability. Asian J Pharm Sci 2017;12:105-13.
7. Tejavathi DH, Sujatha BH, Kannan R. Estimation of curcuminoids in Curcuma karnatakensis (white turmeric)-an endemic taxon. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:360-3.
8. Aziz F, Gupta A, Khan MF. Development and validation of an RP-HPLC method for determination of cyclosporine in the capsule. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;72:252-5.
9. What role do immunomodulators have in assessing response to curcumin as an add-on therapy for patients with ulcerative colitis? Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016;14:912–9.
10. Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology Q2(R1), ICH harmonized tripartite guideline, International conference on harmonization of technical requirements for registration of pharmaceuticals for human; 2005.
11. Validation of Compendial Procedures<1225>. In: The United States Pharmacopeia/National Formulary, USP32–NF27. Rockville, MD; 2014.
12. Xu M, Sun M, Qiao H, Ping Q, Elamin ES. Preparation and evaluation of colon adhesive pellets of 5-aminosalicylic acid. Int J Pharm 2014;468:165–71.
13. Sobhita RP, Muthu P, Kadali K. Development and in vitro drug release studies of satranidazole capsules for colon-specific drug delivery. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:203-11.
14. Mazumder R, Allamneni Y, Firdous SM, Parya H, Chowdhury AD. Formulation, development and in vitro release effects of ethylcellulose coated pectin microspheres for colon targeting. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6 Suppl 5:138-44.
15. Singh S, Neelam, Arora S, Singla Y. An overview of the multifaceted significance of Eudragit polymers in drug delivery systems. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:1-6.