COMPARISON STUDY OF ANTIOXIDANT, ANTIMICROBIAL AND CYTOTOXIC PROPERTIES OF SECONDARY METABOLITE AND PROTEIN EXTRACTS FROM CLINACANTHUS NUTANS
Objective: The present study aims to evaluate the antioxidant, antimicrobial and cytotoxic properties of the secondary metabolites and proteins extracted from Clinacanthus nutans.
Methods: Methanol (ME) and acetone (AC) and also protein (PE) extracts were obtained from Clinacanthus nutans. Antioxidant activity of sample extracts was examined by using 1,1-Diphenyl-2-Picrydyl Hydrazyl (DPPH) assay and antimicrobial activity was examined by using the agar diffusion method against Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus cereus, Streptococcus pyrogenes, Escherichia coli, and Pseudomonas aeroginosa bacterial strain. The cytotoxic potential was determined by brine shrimp lethality assay.
Results: Methanol extract (ME) demonstrated to have the highest antioxidant activity with IC50 value of 98.84 μg/ml, followed by acetone extract (AE) with IC50 value of 134.83µg/ml, and protein extract (PE) with IC50 value of 353.49 µg/ml. Among all of the sample extracts, only methanol crude extracts (ME) displayed moderate inhibition against Gram-positive B. cereus (7.33±1.15 mm) and S. pyrogenes (8.67±0.57 mm) at concentration of 100 mg/ml, while both acetone (AE) and protein (PE) extracts had no activity against all tested microorganisms. All extracts from methanol (ME), acetone (AE) and protein (PE) exhibited significant cytotoxic activity against brine shrimps at LC50 7.2 μg/ml, 1.42 μg/ml and 70.6 μg/ml respectively.
Conclusion: These data proved that methanol extract from the leaves of Clinacanthus nutans is the most potent among all samples tested and has the potential to be developed as an antioxidant, antimicrobial and cytotoxic agents. Whilst, acetone and protein crude extracts have potent antioxidant and cytotoxicity activities.
2. Wanikiat P, Panthong A, Sujayanon P, Yoosook C, Rossi AG, Reutrakul V. The anti-inflammatory effects and the inhibition of neutrophil responsiveness by Barleria lupulina and Clinacanthus nutans extracts. J Ethnopharmacol 2007;116:234-10.
3. Sakdarat S, Shuyprom A, Pientong C, Ekalaksananan T, Thongchai S. Bioactive constituents from the leaves of Clinacanthus nutans lindau. Bioorg Med Chem 2009;17:1857–60.
4. P’ng XW, Akowuah GA, Chin JH. Evaluation of the sub-acute oral toxic effect of methanol extract of Clinacanthus nutans leaves in rats. J Acute Dis 2013;2:29-32.
5. Sittiso S, Ekalaksananan T, Pientong C, Sakdarat S, Charoensri N, Kongyingyoes B. Effects of compounds from Clinacanthus Nutans on dengue virus type 2 Infection. Srinagarind Med J 2010;25:272-5.
6. Sookmai W, Ekalaksanan T, Pientong C, Sakdarat S, Kongyingyoes B. The anti-papillomavirus infectivity of Clinacanthus nutans compounds. Srinagarind Med J 2011;26:240-3.
7. Satayavivad J, Bunyaoraphatsara N, Kitisiripornkul S, Tanasomwang W. Analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of extract of Clinacanthus nutans lindau. Thai J Pharmacol 1996;3:7–17.
8. Cherdchu C, Poopyruchpong N, Adchariyasucha R, Ratanabanangkoon K. The absence of antagonism between extracts of Clinacanthus nutans burm and Naja naja siamensis venom. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 1977;8:249-54.
9. Sriwanthana B, Chavalittumrong P, Chompuki L. Effect of Clinacanthus nutans on human cell-mediated immune response in vitro. Thai J Pharm Sci 1996;20:261-7.
10. Ho SY, Tiew WP, Priya M, Mohamed SAS, Gabriel AA. Phytochemical analysis and antibacterial activity of methanolic extract of clinacanthus nutans leaf. Int J Drug Dev Res 2013;5:229-3.
11. Arulappan S, Rajamanickam P, Thevar N, Kodimani CC. In vitro screening of cytotoxic, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Clinacanthus nutans (Acanthaceae) leaf extracts. Trop J Pharm Res 2014;131455-1.
12. Zainol H, Mansor H. A review of therapeutic potentials of Clinacanthus nutans as a source for alternative medicines. Sains Malays 2019;48:2683–91.
13. Laurence YM, Sanagi MM, Khan MS, Majid MHA, Sarjadi MS. Effect of drying methods on the colour parameter, rehydration capacity and antioxidant activity of clinacanthus nutans leaves. Med J Chem 2019;21:62-9.
14. Pannangpetch P, Laupattarakasem P, Kukongviriyapan V, Kukongviriyapan U, Kongyingyoes B, Aromdee C. Antioxidant activity and protective effect against oxidative hemolysis of Clinacanthus nutans (Burm. f) Lindau. Songklanakarin J Sci Technol 2007;29:1–9.
15. Yong YK, Tan JJ, Teh SS, Mah SH, Ee GC, Chiong HS, et al. Clinacanthus nutans extracts are antioxidant with antiproliferative effect on cultured human cancer cell line. Evid-Based Complementary Altern Med 2013;1-8. DOI:10.1155/2013/462751
16. Khor ES, Wong NK. Potential antioxidant and cytotoxic properties of secondary metabolite extract from carica papaya fruits and seed. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:220-4.
17. Yuvaneswaran K, Wong NK. Cytotoxicity and antimicrobial properties of neem (azadirachta indica) leaf extracts. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:179-2.
18. Murugan R, Parimelazhagan T. Comparative evaluation of different extraction methods for antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties from Osbeckia parvifolia arn.–an in vitro approach. J King Saud Univ Sci 2014;26:267-5.
19. Apaporn B, Chantragan S, Aphichart K, Polkit S. An antioxidant protein in curcuma comosa roxb. rhizomes. Food Chem 2011;124:476-80.
20. Anokwuru CP, Anyasor GN, Ajibaye O, Fakoya O, Okebugwu P. Effect of extraction solvents on phenolic, flavonoid and antioxidant activities of three nigerian medicinal plants. Nat Sci 2011;9:53-61.
21. Jaiwal BV, Shaikh VS, Kulkarni AA, Tak RD. Assessment of total phenolics and antioxidant activity from different solvent extracts of maytenus senegalensis (Lam) excell: purification and partial characterization of antioxidant. Int J Curr Res Biosci Plant Biol 2015;2:144-2.
22. El-Chaghaby GA, Ahmad AF, Ramis ES. Evaluation of the antioxidant and antibacterial properties of various solvents extracts of Annona squamosa L. leaves. Arab J Chem Press 2014;7:27-3.
23. Khor ES, Wong NK. Comparison study of therapeutic properties of proteins and secondary metabolites from Carica papaya. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:153-8.
24. Tiew WP, Png XW, Chin JH, Gabriel AA. Effect of methanol extract of Clinacanthus nutans on serum biochemical parameters in rats. J Appl Pharm 2014;6:77-86.
25. Ryan J, Croft K, Mori T. An examination of the effects of the antioxidant pycnogenol on cognitive performance, serum lipid profile, endocrinological and oxidative stress biomarkers in an elderly population. J Psychopharmacol 2008;22:553–62.
26. Xiong YL. Antioxidant peptides. bioactive proteins and peptides as functional foods and nutraceuticals. John Wiley and Sons; 2010. p. 436.
27. Chew AL, Jessica JJA, Sasidharan S. Antioxidant and antibacterial activity of different parts of Leucas aspera. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:176–0.
28. Meyer BN, Ferrigni NR, Putnam JE, Jacobsen JB, Nicholsand DE, Mclaughlin JL. Brine shrimp, a convenient general bioassay for active plant constituents. Planta Med 1982;45:31–4.
29. Mazid MA, Datta BK, Nahar L, Sarker SD. Assessment of anti-bacterial activity and brine shrimp toxicity of two Polygonum species. Ara Pharm 2008;49:127–34.
30. Moshi MJ, Mbwambo ZH, Nondo RS, Masimba PJ, Kamuhabwa A, Kapingu MC, et al. Evaluation of ethnomedical claims and brine shrimp toxicity of some plants used in tanzania as traditional medicines. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 2006;3:48–58.
31. Kelly CNM, Miller GJ, Williams CM. Olive oil and haemostasis. Grasas Aceites 2004;55:52-65.
32. Moshi MJ, Innocent E, Magadula JJ, Otieno DF, Weisheit A, Mbabazi PK, et al. Brine shrimp toxicity of some plants used as traditional medicines in Kagera region, northwestern tanzania. Tanzan J Health 2010;12:63-7.
33. Ogunnusi TA, Dosumu OO. Bioactivity of crude extracts of Euphorbia kamerunica pax using brine shrimp (Artemia salina) lethality assay. J Med Plant Res 2008;2:370-3.
34. Patil SB, Magdum CS. Determination of LC50 values of extracts of Euphorbia hirta linn and Euphorbia neriifolia linn using brine shrimp lethality assay. Asian J Res Pharm Sci 2011;1:42-3.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.