A VALIDATED RP-HPLC METHOD FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF PYRANTEL PAMOATE AND PRAZIQUANTEL IN BULK AND PHARMACEUTICAL DOSAGE FORM
Objective: To develop a simple, accurate and precise reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method and subsequently validate for the simultaneous estimation of praziquantel (PZQ) and pyrantel pamoate (PP) in the pharmaceutical dosage form.
Methods: The chromatographic separation was achieved on Phenomenex Luna C18 column (250 mm × 4.6 mm, 5 μm) as stationary phase maintained at an ambient temperature with a mobile phase comprising of water: acetonitrile (20: 80) at a flow rate of 1.0 ml/min and UV detection at 220 nm.
Results: The retention time of PZQ and PP was found to be 3.897 min and 1.697 min respectively. The method was validated in terms of specificity, accuracy, precision, linearity and robustness as per ICH guidelines. Linearity was obtained in the concentration range of 20–60 μg/ml for both PZQ and PP with correlation coefficients of 0.987 and 0.998 respectively. The accuracy of the method was determined using a recovery test and found as 98.44 % to 100.35 %. All parameters are found to be within the acceptable limit.
Conclusion: The developed RP-HPLC method was simple, rapid, accurate, precise for the simultaneous estimation of PZQ and PP in bulk and tablet dosage form.
2. Ghoneim MM, Mabrouk MM, Tawfik A. Direct determination of praziquantel in pharmaceutical formulations and human plasma by cathodic adsorptive stripping differential-pulse voltammetry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;30:1311-8.
3. Jain R, Jadon N, Radhapyari K. Determination of antihelminthic drug pyrantel pamoate in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations using electro-analytical methods. Talanta 2006;70:383-6.
4. Forcier GA, Mushinsky RF, Wagner RL. Spectrophotometric determination of pyrantel in pyrantel pamoate bulk samples and pharmaceutical formulations. J Pharm Sci 1971;60:111-3.
5. Langade AS, Charde RM, Charde MS, Tajne MR. Spectrophotometric estimation of pyrantel pamoate by two wavelength methods. J Pharm Res 2010;3:212-5.
6. Soto C, Contreras D, Orellana S, Yanez J, Toral MI. Simultaneous determination of albendazole and praziquantel by second derivative spectrophotometry and multivariated calibration methods in veterinary pharmaceutical formulation. Anal Sci 2010;26:891-6.
7. Sun Y, BU SJ. Simple, cheap and effective high-performance liquid chromatographic method for determination of praziquantel in bovine muscle. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2012;899:160-2.
8. Gonzalez Esquivel DF, Okuno CM, Sanchez Rodriguez M, Solelo Morales J, Cook HJ. Sensitive high-performance liquid chromatographic assay for praziquantel in plasma, urine and liver homogenates. J Chromatogr 1993;613:174-8.
9. Xiao SH, Catto BA, Webster LT. Quantitative determination of praziquantel in serum by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr 1983;275:127-32.
10. Ridtitid W, Wongnawa M, Mahatthanatrakul W, Punyo J, Sunbhanich M. LC determination of praziquantel in human plasma. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;28:181-6.
11. Morovjan G, Csokan P, Makranzki L, Abdellah-Nagy EA, Toth K. Determination of fenbendazole, praziqunatel and pyrantel pamoate in dog plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 1998;797:237-44.
12. Liu J, Stewart JT. High-performance liquid chromatography determination of praziquantel enantiomers in human serum using a reversed-phase cellulose-based chiral stationary phase and disc solid-phase extraction. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 1997;692:141-7.
13. Tatar E, ATES G, Kucukguzel I. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for quality control of oxantel pamoate, pyrantel pamoate and praziquantel in tablets. Marmara Pharm J 2015;19:27-35.
14. Li J, Wang Y, Fenwick A, Clayton TA, Lau YY, Legido Quigley C. A high-performance liquid chromatography and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy-based analysis of commercially available praziquantel tablets. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2007;45:263-7.
15. Hou J, Xie W, Chen X, Xi J, Qian Y, Wang F. Simultaneous determination of multi-veterinary drug residues in honey by solid phase extraction-high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Se Pu 2011;29:535-42.
16. Mutavdzic Pavlovic D, Pinusic T, Perisa M, Babic S. Optimization of matrix solid-phase dispersion for liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry analysis of 12 pharmaceuticals in sediments. J Chromatogr A 2012;1258:1-15.
17. Narendra M Gowekar, Shailesh J Wadher. Development and validation of HPLC method for simultaneous determination of Lidocaine and prilocaine in the topical formulation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:179-82.
18. Vaishali Mistry, Rohan Mishra. Simultaneous estimation, validation, and forced degradation studies of betahistine dihydrochloride and domperidone in a pharmaceutical dosage form using RP-HPLC method. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:125-9.
19. Katari S, Gorule V, Venkata R, Venkata KA. Validated method development for estimation of formoterol fumarate and mometasone furoate in metered dose inhalation form by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Anal Bioanal Tech 2012;3:153-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.