DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF UV-VISIBLE SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD FOR DETERMINATION OF DULOXETINE
Objective: The aim of the present work was to develop and validate a simple UV spectroscopic method for the determination of duloxetine, which is a thiophene derivative and a selective neurotransmitter reuptake inhibitor for serotonin, norepinephrine, and to lesser degree dopamine.
Methods: The UV Spectrophotometric analysis was performed using Shimadzu UV-1800 and Shimadzu UV-1700 spectrophotometer by using solvent system acetonitrile and water in the ratio of 8:2. Detection was performed at a wavelength of 290 nm. Method validation was carried out according to ICH Q2R1 guidelines by taking the parameters linearity, accuracy, precision, ruggedness, and robustness, LOD and LOQ.
Results: The UV Spectrophotometric method was found linear in the range of 10-50 μg/ml. The method was rugged and robust with % relative standard deviation less than 2. The extraction recoveries were found to be higher than 99% in all experimental conditions.
Conclusion: Based upon the performance characteristics, the proposed method was found accurate, precise and rapid and suitable for the determination of Duloxetine for routine analysis.
2. The Merck Index: an encyclopedia of chemicals, drugs, biological. Edited. MJO Neil, Merck and Co., Inc. Merck Research laboratories, Whitehouse station, NJ, USA. 14th edition; 2006. p. 3466.
3. Drug Today, July-September; 2017. p. 502.
4. HP Rang, JM Ritter, RJ Flower. Rang and Dale’s pharmacology, Elsevier Churchill Livingstone publication, china. 8th edition; 2016. p. 569-77.
5. Tripathy KD. Essentials of medical pharmacology, jaypee brothers medical publishers (P) Ltd. 7th edition. Newdelhi, Ansari Road, Daryaganj; 2013. p. 441-3.
6. Skinner MH, Kuan HY, Pan A, Sathirakul K, Knadler MP, Gonzales CR, et al. duloxetine is both an inhibitor and a substrate of cytochrome P4502D6 in healthy volunteers. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2003;73:170–7.
7. Lantz RJ, Gillespie TA, Rash TJ, Kuo F, Skinner M, Kuan HY, et al. Metabolism, excretion, and pharmacokinetics of duloxetine in healthy human subjects. Drug Metab Dispos 2003;31:1142–50.
8. Bymaster FP, Beedle EE, Findlay J, Gallagher PT, Krushinski JH, Mitchell S, et al. Duloxetine (Cymbalta), a dual inhibitor of serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2003;13:4477–80.
9. Xiangping Liu, Yingxiang Du, Xiulan Wu. Simple UV spectrophotometric determination of duloxetine hydrochloride in bulk and in pharmaceutical formulations. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2008;71:915-20.
10. Prabhu SL, Shahnawaz S, Dinesh Kumar C, Shirwaikar A. Spectrofluorimetric method for determination of duloxetine hydrochloride in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Indian J Pharm Sci 2008;70:502-3.
11. Yunoos M, Sankar DG, kumar BP, Hameed S. Simple UV spectrophotometric determination of duloxetine hydrochloride in bulk and in pharmaceutical. E-J Chem 2010;7:785-8.
12. Sydabi P, Muneer S, Ishaq BM, Kumar ES. Development and validation of an analytical method for duloxetine hydrochloride in capsule formulations by HPLC-UV. Indo Am J Pharm Sci 2014;1:11-6.
13. Methuku K, Aarelly K, Raghunandan N. Simple UV spectrophotometric determination of duloxetine hydrochloride in bulk and in pharmaceutical formulations. J Pharm Sci Innovation 2012;1:81-6.