FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF GARLIC POWDER LOADED FLOATING MATRIX TABLET
Objective: The objective of the present work was to formulate and evaluate a stable, odour free garlic powder loaded floating matrix tablet for the treatment of peptic ulcers.
Methods: A gastro-retentive floating matrix tablet (FMT) formulation of garlic powder (GP) was prepared using various concentrations of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose K4M (HPMC K4 M) and effervescent system (sodium bicarbonate and citric acid in 1:1 % w/w) to achieve desirable floating time (FT), floating lag time (FLT) and drug release. Wet granulation method was selected using ethanol as a binder for preparation of tablet. 32 full factorial designs were used for selection of suitable polymer concentration and effervescent system. Nonenteric film coating was applied to mask GP odour.
Results: It was observed that FMT with optimum quantities of HPMC K4M and the effervescent system showed 97 % of drug release in 12 h with FT up to 10 h and minimum FLT of 3 min. There was no significant change in FLT, FT and drug content during the stability study of FMT.
Conclusion: A stable, sustained release FMT of GP tablets using HPMC K4M and an effervescent system was successfully prepared. This formulation can overcome problems of taste and odour masking, gastric irritation, and loss of active constituents present in garlic.
2. Mahachai V, Homson AB, Vilaichone RK. Effect of Helicobacter pylori infection and NSAID on the risk of peptic ulcer bleeding. J Med Assoc Thai 2004;87:295-9.
3. Gara EA, Hil DJ, Maslin DJ. Activities of garlic oil, garlic powder and their diallyl constituents against Helicobacter pylori. Appl Environ Microbiol 2000;66:2269-73.
4. Hiroyuki F, Kaoru S, Kana O, Hitomi K, Taiichiro S, Toyohiko A. Biological and chemical stability of garlic-derived allicin. J Agric Food Chem 2008;56:4229–35.
5. Gowsala SP. Protection against Helicobacter pylori and other bacterial infections by garlic. Am Soc Nutr Sci 2001;131:1106-8.
6. Bardonnet PL, Favre V, Pugh WJ, Piffaretti JC, Falson F. Gastrortentive dosage forms: overview and a special case of Helicobacter pylori. J Controlled Release 2006;111:1-18.
7. Azad, Chowdhury AK, Monira A, Nazrul I, Zia UA. Efficacy of aqueous extract of garlic and allicin in experimental shigellosis in rabbits. Indian J Med Res 1991;93(A):33-6.
8. Lawson LD, Hughes BG. Characterization of the formation of allicin and other thiosulfinates from garlic. Planta Med 1992;58:345–50.
9. Baumgartner S, Kristl J, Vrecer F, Vodopivec P, Zorko B. Optimization of floating matrix tablets and evaluation of their gastric residence time. Int J Pharm 2000;195:125-35.
10. Narendra C, Srinath MS, Ganesh B. Optimization of bilayer floating tablet containing metoprolol tartrate as a model drug for gastric retention. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2006;7:E23–E29.
11. Nakagawa S, Kasuga S, Matsuura H. Prevention of liver damage by aged garlic extract and its components in mice. Phytother Res 1989;3:50–3.
12. Nomura A, Stemmermann GN, Chyou P. Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric carcinoma among Japanese Americans in Hawaii. N Eng J Med 1991;325:1132-6.
13. Lawson LD, Wang ZJ. Low allicin release from garlic supplements: a major problem due to the sensitive alliinase activity. J Agric Food Chem 2001;49:2592–9.
14. Kambham V. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of repaglinide. Bangladesh Pharma J 2016;19:92-9.
15. Apitz CR, Cabrera S, Cruz MR, Ledezma E, Jain MK. Effects of garlic extract and of three pure components isolated from it on human platelet aggregation, arachidonate metabolism, release reaction, and platelet ultrastructure. Thromb Res 1983;32:155–69.
16. Reddy V. Formulation and evaluation of gastroretentive dosage form of ofloxacin. S J Pharm Sci 2011;4:9-18.
17. Manandhar S, Gowda KP. Evaluation of newly formulated polyherbal antidiabetic tablets in alloxan-induced diabetes mellitus in rats. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;7:216-22.
18. Shinkar DM, Alai MS, Saudagar RB. Formulation and evaluation of floating mucoadhesive tablet of clopidogrel. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;8:320-7.
19. Bolai P, Senthil A, Mohd JQ, Nahlah EI. A review of Helicobacter pylori infection diseases, antibiotic resistance and diagnosis. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:566-71.
20. Ruchi S, Gowda DV, Vishal GN, Praveen S, Manjunath M. Formulation development and evaluation of almond gum based sustained release matrix tablet of indomethacin. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:166-9.