NOVEL HPTLC-DENSITOMETRIC METHOD FOR THE ESTIMATION OF TERIFLUNOMIDE IN TABLET DOSAGE FORM
Objective: The current work is intended towards the development of a novel, simple and precise high-performance thin layer chromatographic (HPTLC) method coupled with a densitometer for the estimation of teriflunomide (TEF) present in the marketed formulation.
Methods: The chromatographic development was performed on aluminum plates coated with silica gel 60 F254 using toluene: ethyl acetate: glacial acetic acid (7.5:2: 0.5 v/v/v) as the mobile phase. Densitometric scanning was achieved at the absorbance maxima, UV 284 nm.
Results: Well separated band was observed with Rf value 0.46. The calibration curve plotted in the concentration range 100-700ng/band exhibited an excellent linear relationship with the r2 value of 0.9928. The method was found to comply with all the validation parameters as per the ICH guidelines.
Conclusion: The method ensures minimal use of mobile phase with minimal run time compared to other reported analytical methods. This validated method can be used by quality control laboratories for the routine quantitative analysis of tablets consisting of Teriflunomide.
2. Bruneau JM, Spinella Jaegle S, Fudali C, Woodward K, Robson PA, Sautes C, et al. Purification of human dihydro-orotate dehydrogenase and its inhibition by A77 1726, the active metabolite of leflunomide. Biochem J 1998;336:299-303.
3. O'connor PW, Li D, Freedman MS, Bar-Or A, Rice GP, Confavreux C, et al. A Phase II study of the safety and efficacy of teriflunomide in multiple sclerosis with relapses. Neurology 2006;66:894-900.
4. Helliwell CL, Coles AJ. Monoclonal antibodies in multiple sclerosis treatment: current and future steps. Ther Adv Neurol Disord 2009;2:195–203.
5. Sobhani K, Garrett DA, Liu DP, Rainey PM. A rapid and simple high-performance liquid chromatography assay for the leflunomide metabolite, teriflunomide (A77 1726), in renal transplant recipients. Am J Clin Pathol 2010;133:454-7.
6. Schmidt A, Schwind B, Gillich M, Brune K, Hinz B. Simultaneous determination of leflunomide and its active metabolite, A77 1726, in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography. Biomed Chromatogr 2003;17:276-81.
7. Nadella NP, Ratnakaram VN, Srinivasu N. Quality-by-design-based development and validation of a stability-indicating UPLC method for quantification of teriflunomide in the presence of degradation products and its application to in vitro dissolution. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 2017;40:517-27.
8. Mehta B, Prajapat P, Gohil Y. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for estimation of teriflunomide in an active pharmaceutical ingredient. J Pharm Innov 2017;6:440-9.
9. Parekh JM, Vaghela RN, Sutariya DK, Sanyal M, Yadav M, Shrivastav PS. Chromatographic separation and sensitive determination of teriflunomide, an active metabolite of leflunomide in human plasma by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B 2010;878:2217-25.
10. Rakhila H, Rozek T, Hopkins A, Proudman S, Cleland L, James M, et al. Quantitation of total and free teriflunomide (A77 1726) in human plasma by LC–MS/MS. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2011;55:325-31.
11. Rule GS, Rockwood AL, Johnson Davis KL. LC–MS/MS method for determination of teriflunomide, over a 40,000-fold dynamic range using overlapping calibrators. Ther Drug Monit 2015;37:472-8.
12. Suneetha A, Raja RK. Comparison of LC-UV and LC–MS methods for simultaneous determination of teriflunomide, dimethyl fumarate and fampridine in human plasma: application to rat pharmacokinetic study. Biomed Chromatogr 2016;30:1371-7.
13. International Conference on Harmonization, "Q2A: Text on Validation of Analytical Procedures. Federal Register 1995;60:11260–2.
14. International Conference on Harmonization, "Q2B: Validation of analytical procedures: Methodology. Federal Register 1996;62:27463–7.
15. Vaishali M, Akshay Y, Amey D. A simultaneous estimation, validation and forced degradation studies of 5-fluorouracil and tegafur in a pharmaceutical dosage form using reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography method. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:132-7.
16. Pratima S, Ravinder K, Govind A. Simultaneous estimation of thiocolchicoside and aceclofenac by HPTLC. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:55-60.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.