EFFECT OF HEATING TIME AND HEAT ON THE PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND ANTIOXIDATIVE PROPERTY OF FISH (LABEO ROHITA) SKIN OIL
Objective: Determination of oxidative and thermal stability of Labeo rohita skin oil.
Methods: Labeo rohita skin oil was extracted by soxhlet method using n-hexane as solvent. Acid value, Free Fatty Acid content, the Peroxide value of the oil was determined and the same was also determined after heating the oil at 90 °c for 1 hour to check whether the oil is thermally stable or not. Antioxidant activity was determined via Total Phenolic content (TPC), 2, 2-Diphenyl-1-picryl hydrazyl (DPPH) free radical scavenging activity and Ferric Reducing Antioxidant Power (FRAP) assay. Oxidative stability was determined by heating the oil at a constant temperature of 90 °c for 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour, and 4 hour. The oil was also heated at 60 °c, 120 °c, and 18 °c for a constant time of 2 h.
Results: Heating increases the scavenging activity of Labeo rohita skin oil as measured by the 2, 2-Diphenyl-1-picryl hydrazyl (DPPH) method. Total phenolic content (TPC) value and Ferric reducing antioxidant power (FRAP) assay value is decreased both with an increase in heating time (**p<0.05) and heating temperature (p<0.01). Acid value and FFA (Free Fatty Acid) content and Peroxide value is increased with an increase in temperature (**p<0.01)
Conclusion: The Present study explores that Labeo rohita skin oil both thermally and oxidatively stable The results indicate that the oil can be used in food formulation as well as a new cooking oil substitute.
2. J Sergent, G Bell, L McEvoy, D Tocher, A Estevez. Recent developments in the essential fatty acid nutrition of fish. Aquaculture 1999;177:191-9.
3. Zuzana REBLOVA. Effect of temperature on the antioxidant activity of phenolic acids. Czech J Food Sci 2012;30:171-7.
4. Alavi L, Barzegar M, Jabbari A, Naghdi Badi H. Effect of heat treatment on chemical composition and antioxidative property of Thymus daenensis essential oil. J Med Plants 2010;9:129-38.
5. AOAC. Official methods of analysis. 15th edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA; 1990.
6. KR Athira, TV Binu. Market sample survey of Crocus sativus linn. to asses the genunity for using antioxidant activity, total phenolic content and high–pressure thin layer chromatography using detection of flavonoids. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2019;11:30-3.
7. Ruwali P, M Adhikari, S Sharma. Phytochemical and antioxidant properties of various extracts of Michelia champaca leaves. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;11:56-61.
8. Vidya Kamble, Nikhil Gaikward. Fluorescence analysis, phytochemical and antioxidant activity in leaves and stem of Embelia ribes burm. F. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:225-9.
9. Benzie IF. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of “Antioxidant power”: The FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 1996;239:70-6.
10. Tomaino A, Cimino F, Zimbalatti V, Venuti V, Sulfaro V, De Pasquale A, et al. Influence of heating on antioxidant activity and the chemical composition of some spices, essential oils. Food Chem 2005;89:549-54.
11. Indira Priyadarsini K, Dilip KM, Naik GH, Sudheer Kumar M, Unni Krishnan MK, Satav JG, et al. Role of phenoilc O-H and methylene hydrogen on free radical reaction and antioxidant activity of curcumin. Free Rad Biol Med 2003;35:475-84.
12. Jeorge. Natural antioxidants for preventing colour loss in stored Paprika. J Food Sci 1997. p. 65. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1997.tb15027.x
13. Donelli JK, Robinson DS. Free radicals in foods. Free Rad Res 1995;22:147-76.
14. Angaye SS, Maduelosi NJ, Amadi C. Effect of heat on the physiochemical properties of groundnut oil. Int J Sci Res 2015;4:1278-80.
15. SS Angaye, GK Fekarurhobo, NJ Maduelosi. Comparative study of the oxidative stabilities of plam oil and olive oil. J Nat Sci Res 2013;3:18-28.
16. Emhemmed A, Alhibshi Jalal, A Ibrahim, Abdulgadir S Hadad. Effect of heat processing and storage on characteristics and stability of edible oils. 6th Int Conference on Agriculture Environment and Biological Sciences (ICAEBS’16) Dec. 21-22, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia); 2016. p. 105-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.