NEUROPROTECTIVE EFFECT OF CITRULLUS LANATUS SEED EXTRACTS ON CEREBRAL ISCHEMIC REPERFUSION INJURY INDUCED COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT AND OXIDATIVE STRESS
Objective: Oxidative stress appears to be an early event involved in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease (AD). The present study was designed to investigate the neuroprotective effects of citrullus lanatus on bilateral common carotid artery occlusion (BCCAO) induced cognitive impairment and oxidative stress in Wistar albino rats.
Methods: Cognitive impairment and oxidative stress were induced by BCCAO for 30 min, followed by 7 d reperfusion of male wistar rats. Morris water maze and rectangular maze performance tests and locomotor activity were used to assess memory performance tasks. To study the activity, rats weighing 250-300g were pre-treated with successive extracts of n-hexane fraction (HF), ethyl acetate fraction (EAF), ethanol fraction (EF) and aqueous fraction (AF) of 400 mg/kg, 200 mg/kg, p. o of each for 10 d and the treatment was continued for another 7 d after cerebral ischemia. Various biochemical parameters like lipid peroxidation, Catalase, DPPH and AchE were also estimated in the brain after the treatment.
Results: There was significantly increased oxidative stress and cholinesterase activity with cognitive decline in the hippocampus in rats of BCCAO group as compared to sham-operated (p<0.05). The animals treated with Donepezil, HF and EF prevented the biochemical changes significantly (p<0.001) and there was significant (p<0.001) improvement in cognitive parameters compared to BCCAO treated rats.
Conclusion: Thus present study indicates the neuroprotective effect of citrulus lanatus seed extract (HF and EF) against BCCAO induced cognitive impairment and associative oxidative damage.
2. McIlroy S, Craig D. Neurobiology and genetics of behavioral syndromes of Alzheimer’s disease. Curr Alzheimer Res 2004;1:135-42.
3. Poornima Venkat BS, Michael Chopp PhD, Jieli Chen MD. Models and mechanisms of vascular dementia. Exp Neurol 2015;272:97-108.
4. Frank B, Gupta S. A review of antioxidants and Alzheimer’s disease. Annals Clin Psychiatry 2005;17:269–86.
5. Kumar A, Naidu PS, Seghal N, Padi SSV. Effect of curcumin on intracerebroventricular colchicine-induced cognitive impairment and oxidative stress in rats. J Med Food 2007;10:486–94.
6. Rajadurai M, Prince PSM. Preventive effect of naringin on lipid peroxides and antioxidants in isoproterenol-induced cardiotoxicity in wistar rats: biochemical and histopathological evidences. Toxicology 2006;228:259–68.
7. Vant Veer P, Jansen MC, Klerk M, Kok FJ. Fruits and vegetables in the prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease. Public Health Nutr 2000;3:103–7.
8. Bokov A, Chaudhuri A, Richardson A. The role of oxidative damage and stress in aging. Mech Ageing Dev 2004;125:811–26.
9. Jain S, Jerald EE, Edwin S. Isolation, fractionation and evaluation of the anti-inflammatory properties of Citrullus lanatus Thunb. Asian J Biomed Pharma Sci 2013;3:66-72.
10. Chinmay D, Deshmukh, Anurekha J, Mukul ST. Phytochemical and pharmacological profile of Citrullus lanatus (Thunb): an international quarterly. J Biol Life Sci 2015;3:483-8.
11. Acute Oral Toxicity. Acute oral toxic class method guideline 423 adopted 17.12.2001 OECD, guidelines for the testing of chemicals organisation for economical co-operation and development, Paris; 2000.
12. Kalyani P, Ajith B, Sravanthi A, Goverdhan P. Neuroprotective effect of pyritinol and fluvastatin in cerebral ischemic reperfusion injury and memory dysfunction. Adv Biol Res 2014;8:68-78.
13. Prakash T, Kotresh D, Rama RN. Neuroprotective activity of Wedelia Calendulacea on cerebral ischemia/reperfusion induced oxidative stress in rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2011;43:1-8.
14. Lin Y, Chen F, Zhang J, Wang T, Wei X, Wu J, et al. Neuroprotective effect of resveratrol on ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats through TRPC6/CREB pathways. J Mol Neurosci 2013;50:504-13.
15. Frautschy SA, Hu W, Kim P. Phenolic anti-inflammatory antioxidant reversal of A?-induced cognitive deficits and neuropathology. Neurobiol Aging 2001;22:993–1005.
16. Reddy DS, Kulkarni SK. The possible role of nitric oxide in the nootropic and antiamnesic effects of neurosteroids on aging-and dizocilpine-induced learning impairment. Brain Res 1998;799:215–29.
17. Goverdhan P, Sravanthi A, Mamatha T. Neuroprotective effects of meloxicam and selegiline in scopolamine-induced cognitive impairment and oxidative stress. Int J Alzheimer’s Dis 2012;1-8. Doi:10.1155/2012/974013
18. Agarwal A, Malini S, Bairy KL, Rao MS. Effect of tinospora cordifolia on learning and memory in normal and memory deficit rats: Indian J Pharmacol 2002;34:339-49.
19. Priyadarshini A, Yeswanth Reddy M, Goverdhan P. Neuroprotective effect of Aegle marmelos leaf extract in scopolamine induced cognitive impairment and oxidative stress in mice. Global J Pharmacol 2016;10:45-53.
20. Wills ED. Mechanisms of lipid peroxide formation in animal tissues. Biochemical J 1966;99:667–76.
21. Luck H. Catalase. In: Bergmeyer HU. Editor. Methods of enzymatic analysis. New York: Academic Press; 1971. p. 885–93.
22. Kaur IP, Geetha T. Screening Methods for Antioxidants: a review. Mini Rev Med Chem 2006;48:305-12.
23. Ellman GL, Courtney KD, Andres Jr V, Featherstone RM. A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity. Biochem Pharmacol 1961;7:88–90.
24. McCord JM. Oxygen derived free radicals in post-ischemic tissue injury. N Engl J Med 1985;312:159-63.
25. Yanpallewar SU, Acharya SB. Nimodipine attenuates biochemical, behavioral and histopathological alterations induced by acute transient and long-term bilateral common carotid occlusion in rats. Pharmacol Res 2004;49:143–50.
26. Sorrenti V, Di Giaxomo C, Renis M, Russo A, La Della C, Perez-Polo JR. Lipid peroxidation and survival in rats following cerebral post-ischemic reperfusion: Effect of drugs with different molecular mechanisms. Drugs Exp Clin Res 1994;20:185–9.
27. Nakashima M, Niwa M, Iwai T, Uematsu T. Involvement of free radicals in cerebral vascular reperfusion injury evaluated in a transient focal cerebral ischemia model of rats. Free Radical Biol Med 1999;26:722–9.
28. Sudhir CK, Nagarathna PKM, Sainadh N, Vasanthakumar C. Evaluation of cerebroprotective effect of flavonoid of dalbergia latifolia against cerebral ischemia re-perfusion induced cerebral infarction in rats by BCCAO method: research and reviews. J Pharmacol Toxicol Stud 2013;1:8-14.
29. Catherine RE, Nicholas JM, George P. Antioxidant properties of phenolic compounds. Trends Plant Sci 1997;2:152–9.
30. Habibur Rahman, Manjula K, Anoosha T, Nagaveni K, Eswaraiah M, Dipankar B. In vitro anti-oxidant activity of citrullus lanatus seed extracts: Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:152-7.
31. Gauthaman KK, Salem MTS, Thanislas PT, Prabhu VV, Krishnamoorthy KK, Devaraj NS, et al. Cardio protective effect of the Hibiscus rosa sinensis flowers in an oxidative stress model of myocardial ischemic reperfusion injury in rats. BMC Comp Alt Med 2006;6:32–40.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.