QUALITY OF LIFE AMONGST BENZODIAZEPINE USERS PRE AND POST DEPRESCRIBING
Objective: The study aimed to analyze the Quality of Life (QoL) of patients utilizing benzodiazepines (BZDs).
Methods: A prospective interventional study was conducted among 109 patients who met the inclusion criteria. The patients consuming BZDs more than the prescribed duration were identified and deprescribed. Deprescribing plan was advised after discussing with the prescribing psychiatrist and inappropriate BZD users. The QoL of patient’s pre and post-intervention amongst both the continuing and deprescribed groups was evaluated by WHO-QoL BREF questionnaire.
Results: Mean scores in the domains of physical health (71.48), psychological health (68.74), social relationships (65.15) and environmental health (68) among the deprescribed group was higher compared to the maintenance group. Independent t-test statistic for QoL showed a statistical significance in all 4 domains with p value<0.05.
Conclusion: The current study emphasizes that deprescribing of BZDs as shared decision model involving the physician, pharmacist and patients improves the QoL of the patient.
2. Hulten R, Bakker AB, Lodder AC, Teeuw KB, Bakker A, Leufkens HG. The impact of attitudes and beliefs on length of benzodiazepine use: a study among inexperienced and experienced benzodiazepine users. Soc Sci Med 2003;56:1345-54.
3. Xiang YT, Weng YZ, Leung CM, Tang WK, Ungvari GS. Clinical and social determinants of long-term use of benzodiazepines and its impact on the quality of life of Chinese schizophrenia patients. Pharmacopsychiatry 2007;40:269-74.
4. Paterniti S, Dufouil C, Alperovitch A. Long-term benzodiazepine use and cognitive decline in the elderly: the epidemiology of vascular aging study. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2002;22:285–93.
5. Kamath R, Kamath S. Deprescribing in India: will we ever get down to it? Eur J Hosp Pharm 2017;24:136.
6. Reeve E, Ong M, Wu A, Jansen J, Petrovic M. A systematic review of interventions to deprescribe benzodiazepines and other hypnotics among older people. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2017;73:927-35.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.