FORMULATION DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF ORALLY DISINTEGRATING TABLET OF CHLORPHENERAMINE MALEATE BY SUBLIMATION TECHNIQUE
Objective: Chlorpheneramine maleate is a first-generation antihistamine drug used in the treatment of allergic conditions like rhinitis, urticaria, and cough cold, etc. In present work, the challenge has been made to develop an orally disintegrating tablet of chlorpheneramine maleate with an increase in bioavailability and patient compliance.
Methods: The sublimation technique was used to prepare orally disintegrating tablets. Porous tablet prepared after sublimation of camphor at 60 °C in a hot air oven for 60 min. In the research work, 32full factorial design used to find out the effect of two variables like the amount of Crospovidone and Croscarmellose sodium.
Results: All prepared formulations were analyzed for various parameters. DSC of pure drug and optimized formulation A (9) showed purity of sample and compatibility of all ingredients with each other. In FTIR study of pure drug and optimized formulation A (9) no major shifts were seen. An optimized formulation (A9) was found to have good hardness (3.2 kg/cm2), friability (<1%), disintegration time (26 s), % drug release (99.77 %) within 6 min.
Conclusion: The result obtained showed that orally disintegrating tablet of chlorpheneramine maleate enhances dissolution rate, improves bioavailability which will improve patient compliance.
2. Bhowmik D, Chiranjib B, Krishnkanth, Pankaj, Chandira RM. Fast dissolving tablet: an overview. J Chem Pharm Res 2009;1:163-77.
3. Chauhan K, Solanki R, Sharma S. A review: on fast dissolving tablet. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:1-7.
4. Deshmukh KR, Patel V, Verma S, Pandey AK, Dewangan P. A review: on mouth dissolving tablet techniques. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2011;2:66-74.
5. Sharma N, Sharma J, Jat RC, Rathore A. Fast dissolving tablet as novel dosage form. Int J Res Lett Sci 2012;1:99-104.
6. Patil PB. Recent trends in orodispersible tablets: an overview of formulation technology and future prospects. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015;6:1056-66.
7. Aher SS, Saudagar RB, Shinde MS. Review: fast dissolving tablet. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:5-12.
8. Singh S, Verma N. Taste masked orodispersible tablets: a highly patient complaint dosage form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:385-91.
9. Sharma D. Taste masking technologies: a novel approach for the improvement of organoleptic property of pharmaceutical active substance. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:108-16.
10. Dave V, Yadav RB, Ahuja R, Sahu K. Formulation and evaluation of orally dispersible tablets of chlorpheneramine maleate by fusion method. Marmara Pharm J 2017;21:67-77.
11. Elbakry AM, Elosaily GH, Yassin GE, Zaky AA. Design and assessment of chlorpheneramine maleate sublingual tablets using novel ternary phase superdisintegrants. Am J Sci 2014;10:125-34.
12. Ali H, Muhammad HS. Formulation development of chlorpheneramine maleate tablet by direct compression. Jordan J Pharm Sci 2011;4:1-7.
13. Razak KA, Seetha Dvi A, Anka Rao A, Vasu Naik V. Orally disintegrating tablet: review. Int J Pharma Chem Res 2015;1:25-30.
14. Pandey P, Dahiya M. Oral disintegrating tablets: review. Int J Pharma Res Rev 2016;5:50-62.
15. Rawat S, Derle DV, Fukte SR, Shinde PR. Superdisintegrants: an overview. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:263-78.
16. Pahwa R, Gupta N. Superdisintegrants in the development of orally disintegrating tablet: a review. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:2767-80.
17. Yadav G, Kapoor A, Bhargava S. Fast dissolving tablets recent advantages: a review. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3:728-36.
18. Ramana G, Leela K, Roy D. Formulation and evaluation of oral disintegrated tablets of alfuzosin hydrochloride using super disintegrants. J Appl Pharm Sci 2011;1:161-5.
19. Basu B, Bagadiya A, Makwana S, Vora V, Batt D, Dharamsi A. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of cinnarizine using super disintegrants blends and subliming material. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2011;2:266-73.
20. Purkayastha HD, Nath B. Formulation and evaluation of oral fast disintegrating tablet of ibuprofen using two superdisintegrants. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:92-5
21. Monva B, Laxman kumar D, Ravi kumar KM. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of Ranitidine HCL by hole technology. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:143-7.
22. Mohanchandran PS. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dispersible tablet of amlodipine besylate. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;2:1-6.
23. Pathan I, Shingare P, Kurumkar P. Formulation design and optimization of novel mouth dissolving tablets for venlafaxine hydrochloride using sublimation technique. J Pharm Res 2013;6:593-8.
24. Gaur K, Tyagi L, Kori M, Sharma CS. Formulation and characterisation of fast disintegrating tablets of aceclofenac by using sublimation method. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2011;3:19-22.
25. Mothilal M, Harish Kumar A, V Manasa, V Manimaran. Formulation and evaluation of modafinil fast dissolving tablets by sublimation technique. J Chem Pharm Res 2013;6:147-54.
26. Okhuelegbe E, Ikhuoria A, Ike A. Evaluation of fast disintegrating tablets of nifedipine prepared by superdisintegrant addition and sublimation method. Dhaka Univ J Pharm Sci 2014;13:199-205.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.