QUANTITATIVE DETERMINATION AND PREPARATIVE ISOLATION OF TWO MAJOR ALKALOIDS FROM THE VIETNAMESE MEDICINAL HERB EVODIAE FRUCTUS
Objective: To develop a simple and accurate HPLC-DAD method for simultaneous determination, the content of major components: limonin, evodiamine, and rutaecarpine in Evodiae fructus and evaluation the quality of Evodiae fructus sold in markets.
Methods: Open column chromatography was used to separate and purify rutaecarpine and evodiamine, the two major alkaloids from Evodiae fructus extract as a laboratory standard. Chromatographic separation was achieved using a Germini C18 column (150 mm × 4.6 mm I.D., 5 µm), detected at 210 nm. The mobile phase consisted of acetonitrile (A), methanol (B), and water (C). The validated method simultaneously determined alkaloid content in 40 batches of samples collected from markets in different regions of Vietnam.
Results: In one-step purification, our method yielded 326 mg of rutaecarpine and 128 mg of evodiamine from 3.2 g of crude extract, with purities of 98.9 and 98.5%, respectively. The structures of these compounds were identified using 1H NMR and 13C NMR. There was a significant correlation between alkaloid content and fruit size, with a Spearman correlation coefficient of>0.5 (p<0.001), and there was a large difference in alkaloid contents between three maturity degrees of the fruit. Open-mouth fruits and fruits with average sizes of 4 to 6 mm had the highest alkaloid contents, whereas closed-mouth fruits had the lowest.
Conclusion: This study provided information on the standardization and quality control of evodiamine and rutaecarpine in Evodiae fructus, as well as a foundation for further pharmacological and toxicological studies.
2. Shelar M, Sathiyanarayanan L, Mahadik K, Gadgil S. Standardization and comparative evaluation of ayurvedic polyherbal ghrita formulation with modern extraction technique for extraction efficiency using reversed phase-high performance liquid chromatography. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;10:264-71.
3. Liao JF, Chiou WF, Shen YC, Wang GJ, Chen CF. Anti-inflammatory and anti-infectious effects of Evodia rutaecarpa (Wuzhuyu) and its major bioactive components. Chin Med 2011;6:1-8.
4. Choi YH, Shin EM, Kim YS, Cai XF, Lee JJ, Kim HP. Anti-inflammatory principles from the fruits of Evodia rutaecarpa and their cellular action mechanisms. Arch Pharm Res 2006;29:293-7.
5. Wang T, Wang Y, Kontani Y, Kobayashi Y, Sato Y, Mori N, et al. Evodiamine improves diet-induced obesity in a uncoupling protein-1-independent manner: involvement of antiadipogenic mechanism and extracellularly regulated kinase/mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling. Endocrinology 2008; 149:358-66.
6. Kobayashi Y, Nakano Y, Kizaki M, Hoshikuma K, Yokoo Y, Kamiya T. Capsaicin-like anti-obese activities of evodiamine from fruits of Evodia rutaecarpa, a vanilloid receptor agonist. Planta Med 2001;67:628-33.
7. Zhou X, Zhao Y, Lei P, Cai Z, Liu H. Chromatographic ?ngerprint study on Evodia rutaecarpa (Juss.) benth by HPLC/DAD/ESI-MSn technique. J Sep Sci 2010;33:2258-65.
8. Lee SH, Son JK, Jeong BS, Jeong TC, Chang HW, Lee ES, et al. Review: progress in the studies on rutaecarpine. Molecules 2008;13:272-300.
9. Pellati F, Benvenuti S, Yoshizaki F, Melegari M. Development and validation of HPLC methods for the analysis of phenethylamine and indoloquinazoline alkaloids in evodia species. J Sep Sci 2006;29:641-9.
10. Zhao Y, Zhao Y, Zhou X, Gong X. Development and validation of an UPLC ESI MS/MS method for determination of dehydroevodiamin, limonin, evodiamine and rutaecarpine in Evodiae Fructus. Pharmacogn Mag 2014;10:374-83.
11. Lin C, Pan X, Li W, Ma J, Pan J, Cai J, et al. Simultaneous determination of evodiamine and rutecarpine in rabbit plasma by LC-ESI-MS and its application to pharmacokinetics. Pharmazie 2011;66:920-3.
12. ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline. International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use. Validation of Analytical Procedure Text and Methodology Q2 (R1); 2005.
13. Zhao MY, Yang XW. Optimization of the extraction conditions and simultaneous quantification by RP-LC of six alkaloids in Evodiae fructus. Chromatographia 2008;67:543-50.
14. Liu R, Chu X, Sun A, Kong L. Preparative isolation and purification of alkaloids from the Chinese medicinal herb Evodia rutaecarpa (Juss.) Benth by high-speed counter-current chromatography. J Chromatogr 2005;1074:139-44.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.