PRESCRIPTION ANALYSIS, DRUG INTERACTION CHECKING AND IMPACT OF PATIENT COUNSELING BY A CLINICAL PHARMACIST IN TYPE II DIABETES MELLITUS PATIENTS IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL-A PROSPECTIVE STUDY
Objective: To evaluate the clinical pharmacist role in the prescription analysis, drug interaction and the impact of patient counseling in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients.
Methods: A prospective study was conducted in 203 type II Diabetes Mellitus patients for a period of 6 mo in the Diabetology department. Prescriptions were analyzed and self-care assessment for good health practices were collected using a questionnaire and the adherence scores were calculated. Patient counseling was provided to the patient and a follow up was done using the same self care assessment questionnaire.
Results: Out of 203 patients, 86 multiple therapy, 68 dual therapy and 49 monotherapy were observed. Glimepiride+Metformin (54), a combination of short acting and intermediate-acting insulin (41) was the most commonly prescribed drugs. Out of 1102 drugs, 488 were anti diabetic drugs, 35 were antibiotics, 579 were other drug classes prescribed. The drug interactions were reported. The adherence score shows a highly significant impact after counseling.
Conclusion: The results of the current study helps to understand the changes in prescription pattern, drug interactions and the impact of patient counseling by a clinical pharmacist.
2. World Health Organisation. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/details/diabetes. [Last accessed on 30 Oct 2018]
3. Adepu SPR, S Sam, C Omanakuttan, RKV, Y Yashaswini. Assessment of pharmacist mediated education on medication adherence behavior in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients in south indian rural population. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:39-43.
4. Javedh Shareef Jennifer Fernandes, Laxminarayana Samaga, Bhat ML. Evolving role of clinical pharmacist in the management of diabetes mellitus. Int J Res Med Sci 2015;7:3.
5. Ann Mary Swaroop, Christina Varghese, Josmine Jose. Impact of patient counselling on knowledge, attitude, practice and medication adherence in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Eur J Pharm Med Res 2016;3:231-5.
6. Arif Jemal, Jemal Abdela, Mekonnen Sisay. Adherence to oral antidiabetic medications among type 2 diabetic (T2DM) patients in chronic ambulatory wards of hiwot fana specialized university hospital, harar, eastern ethiopia: a cross sectional study. J Diabetes Metab 2017;8:1.
7. Awuni Prosper Mandela Amalting. Non adherence to diabetic medication among diabetic patients, a case study of dormaa hospital ghana. Sci J Public Health 2017;5:88-97.
8. Belayneh Kefale Gelaw, Abdela Mohammed, Gobezie Temesgen Tegegne, Amsalu Degu Defersha, Muluneh Fromsa. Non adherence and contributing factors among ambulatory patients with antidiabetic medications in adama referral hospital. J Diabetes Res 2014. p. 9. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/617041
9. Bijoy CV, Feba B, Vikas RC, Dandapani C, Geetha K, Vijayakumar A. Knowledge assessment and patient counseling on diabetic foot care. Indian J Pharm Practice 2012;5:11–5.
10. Jitendra Singh. Economic burden of diabetes: Chapter 45. Diabetology; 2013. p. 205-8.
11. Cia Sin Lee, Jane Hwee Mian Tan, Usha Sankari, Yi Ling Eileen Koh. Assessing oral medication adherence among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus treated with polytherapy in a developed Asian community: a cross sectional study. Br Med J Open 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016317
12. Comprehensive Pharmacy Review for NAPLEX. Eighth Edition. By Leon Shargel, Alan H Mutnick, Paul F. Souney and Larry N. Swanson; 2013. p. 1248.
13. Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment. fifty eighth edition. Maxine A. Papadakis and Stephen J. McPHEE; 2019. p. 1220-68.
14. Dharini Krishnan. The impact of diet counselling on type 2 diabetes mellitus: An Indian case study; 2015.
15. Sherry Garg, Sophia Garg, MA Jamadar, Gashaw Jember, Yayehirad Alemu Melsew, Balamurugan Janakiraman. Prevalence of complications in diabetes mellitus type peripheral sensory neuropathy and associated factors among adult diabetes mellitus patients in Bahr Dar. Ethiopia 2017;2:32754-57.
16. ICMR guidelines for management of type 2 Diabetes; 2018.
17. Andreas Schmitt, Annika Gahr, Norbert Hermanns. The diabetes self management questionnaire (DSMQ): development and evaluation of an instrument to assess diabetes self-care activities associated with glycaemic control Health and Quality of Life Outcomes; 2013. p. 138.
18. Sahoo Subhasish, Dash Kiran Kaushik, Sahoo Sabita, Sahu Debasish. Prescription analysis in diabetes mellitus; 2010.
19. Mohd Mahmood, Charitha Reddy R, Soumya Lahari JR, Fatima S, Shinde P. Prescription pattern analysis of antidiabetic drugs in diabetes mellitus associated comorbidities. Clin Invest (Lond.) 2017;8:5–12.
20. Manjusha S, Amit M, Ronak S. A study on prescribing pattern and potential drug–drug interactions in type 2 diabetes mellitus inpatients. Indian J Pharm Practice 2014;7:7-12.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.