ANALYTICAL METHODS FOR THE DETERMINATION OF AMINOGLYCOSIDES ANTIBIOTICS BY CHROMATROGRAPHIC TECHNIQUE
Aminoglycosides antibiotics are considered to be the antimicrobial agents used frequently in the treatment of human diseases caused by a bacterial infection. Most of the aminoglycosides antibiotics are highly polar in nature and they are lacking the UV absorbing chromophore in the molecules. The present articles accentuate the analytical method associated with the analysis of aminoglycosides molecules. Various chromatographic techniques like liquid chromatography, gas chromatography; mass spectrometry were used for the detection of aminoglycosides antibiotics. However, due to its limitation in the ultraviolet-visible spectrophotometry (UV/Vis) technique, different types of detection techniques like corona-charged aerosol detector (CAD), electrochemical detector (ECD) were used as a most powerful and versatile technique for the demonstration of these molecules in the analytical field. Analytical methods help to ensure the quality of the drug products. This review paper is devoted to providing an overview of the key performance technique used for the application and detection of these aminoglycosides molecules.
2. H Umezawa, IR Hooper. Eds. Aminoglycosides antibiotics; 1982;6:1-368.
3. Edson RS, Terrell CL. The aminoglycosides: streptomycin, kanamycin, gentamicin, tobramycin, amikacin, netilmicin, and sisomicin. Mayo Clin Proc 1987;62:916-20.
4. Goodman and Gilman the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 13th edition; 2017.
5. Grahek R, Kralji L. Identification of gentamicin impurities by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. J Pham Bio Anal 2009;50:1037-43.
6. Salam Abdul I, Amoud A, Clark JB. Determination of gentamicin in urine samples after inhalation by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography using pre-column derivatization with o-phthalaldehyde. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2002;769:89-95.
7. DA Bruckner, JA Hindler. WJ Martin. Comparison of radioimmunoassay with a new immunofluorescent method (FIAX) for measuring tobramycin in serum. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1982;21:107-9.
8. P Stevens, LS Young. Radioimmunoassay of amikacin and comparison with a microassay. J Anti 1976;29:829-32.
9. JW Mayhew, L Gorbach. Gas-liquid chromatographic method for the assay of aminoglycoside antibiotics in serum. J Chromatogr 1978;151:133-46.
10. M Ali. Advanced gas chromatography-progress in agricultural, biomedical and industrial applications; 2012.
11. VK Bajpai, N Kim, K Kim. Chemical derivatization of pharmaceutical samples prior to gas-chromatography and mass-spectrometry analysis bang. J Pharm 2016;11:852-5.
12. A Adegoke. An overview of applications of pre-column derivatization reactions for the liquid chromatographic analysis of pharmaceuticals and other compounds. Afr J Pure Appl Chem 2012;6:129-40.
13. Preu M, Guyot D, Petz M. Development of a gas chromatography-mass spectrometry method for the analysis of aminoglycoside antibiotics using experimental design for the optimisation of the derivatization reactions. J Chromatogr A 1998;818:95-108.
14. Mineo H, Kaneko S, Koizumi I. An analytical study of antibacterial residues in meat: The simultaneous determination of 23 antibiotics and 13 drugs using gas chromatography. Human Toxicol 1992;34:393-7.
15. Mayhew JW, Gorbach SL. Assay of gentamicin and tobramycin in sera of patients by gas-liquid chromatography. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1978;14:851-5.
16. Stead D. Current methodologies for the analysis of aminoglycosides. J Bio Sci Appl 2000;747:69-93.
17. P Topolyan. Derivatization of aminoglycoside antibiotics with tris (2,6-dimethoxyphenyl) carbenium Ion. Acta Nat 2016;8:129-35.
18. Shivani S, Swapnil G, Kalindi C. A review on analytical method development and validation. Int J Appl Pharm A 2018;10:1-8.
19. Mustafa S, Devi V. Liquid chromatographic assay for the analysis of kanamycin sulphate nanoparticles in rat after intramuscular administration: application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Appl Pharm Sci 2016;6:57-66.
20. Hao Ran J, Xiang Peng Li. Studies of kanamycin sulfate determination method by HPLC with pre-column derivatization. Chinese J Ana Chem 2007.
21. Jin Feng W, Hua Xin. Chinese J Anal Chem 2014;34:644-8.
22. Kim BH, Lee SC, Lee HJ. Reversed-phase liquid chromatographic method for the analysis of aminoglycoside antibiotics using pre-column derivatization with phenylisocyanate. Biomed Chromatogr 2003;17:396-403.
23. Kalyani L, Rao CVN. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method development and validation of cefepime and amikacin in pure and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Braz J Pharm Sci 2018;54:1-9.
24. Korany M, Haggag R. Liquid chromatographic determination of amikacin sulphate after pre-column derivatization. J Chromatogr Sci 2014;52:837-47.
25. Dan H, Yang L. Determination of amikacin sulfate injection by HPLC with post-column derivatization. Chinese J Anal Chem 2009:29;1025-6.
26. Vimal D. Development and validation of rp-hplc method for simultaneous estimation of cefepime hydrochloride and amikacin sulphate in injection dosage form. J Pharm Sci Bio Sci Res 2012;2:138-43.
27. Feng CH, Lin S. Trace analysis of amikacin in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography. Chromatographia 2001;53:213-7.
28. Chauhan B, Jalalpure S. Analysis of amikacin in human serum by UHPLC with fluorescence detector using chloro-formate reagent with glycine. Pharm Methods 2016;7:99-103.
29. Kim M, Liu Y, Kcas Kamsas. A rapid and sensitive LC-MS/MS assay for the quantitation of deacetyl mycoepoxydiene in rat plasma with application to preclinical pharmacokinetics studies. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2012;880:1-5.
30. Li D, He S. Development and validation of an HPLC method for determination of Amikacin in water samples by solid phase extraction and pre-column derivatization. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 2014;93:47-52.
31. C Chuong, J Chin. High performance liquid chromatography of gentamicin sulfate reference standard and injections. Int J Pharm Anal 2013;4:25-9.
32. Adams E, Vaerenbergh GV, Roets E. Determination of amikacin by liquid chromatography with pulsed electrochemical detection. J Chromatogr A 1998;819:93-7.
33. Oguri S, Miki Y. Determination of amikacin in human plasma by high-performance capillary electrophoresis with fluorescence detection. J Chromatogr B 1996;686:205-10.
34. Ovalles JF, Brunetto MR, Gallignani M. A new method for the analysis of amikacin using 6-aminoquinolyl-N-hydroxysuccinimidyl carbamate (AQC) derivatization and high-performance liquid chromatography with UV-detection. J Pharm Anal 2005;39:294-8.
35. Galanakis EG, Megoulas NC, Soluch P. Development and validation of a novel LC non-derivatization method for the determination of amikacin in pharmaceuticals based on evaporative light scattering detection. J Pharm Bio Anal 2006;40:1114-20.
36. Nicoli S, Santi P. Assay of amikacin in the skin by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2006;41:994-7.
37. Zawilla NH, Li B, Hoogmatens J. Improved reversed-phase liquid chromatographic method combined with pulsed electrochemical detection for the analysis of amikacin. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2007;43:168-73.
38. Serrano MJ, Silva M. Determination of amikacin in body fluid by high-performance liquid-chromatography with chemiluminescence detection. J Chromatogr B 2006;843:20-4.
39. Brajnoski G, Hoogmartens J, Allegaert K. Determination of amikacin in cerebrospinal fluid by high-performance liquid chromatography with pulsed electrochemical detection. J Chromatogr 2008;867:149-52.
40. Zhu Yu C, Zhao He Y. Determination of kanamycin a, amikacin and tobramycin residues in milk by capillary zone electrophoresis with post-column derivatization and laser-induced fluorescence detection. J Chromatogr 2009;877:333-8.
41. Laki M, Hajdu M. Determination of gentamicin released from orthopedic carrier system by a novel HPLC Method. J Chromatogr Sci 2011;49:177-81.
42. Kuehl P, De S. Development and validation of an HPLC assay for dual detection of gentamicin sulfate and leucine from a novel dry powder for inhalation. J Anal Bioanal Tech 2012;3:1-4.
43. Joseph A, Rustum A. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for the determination of gentamicin sulfate and its related substances in a pharmaceutical cream using a short pentafluorophenyl column and a charged aerosol detector. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2010;51:521-31.
44. Isoherranen N, Soback S. Determination of gentamicins C1, C(1a), and C2 in plasma and urine by HPLC. Clin Chem 2000;46:837-42.
45. Meicheng Y, Zhen L. HPLC method using pre-column derivatization for determination of the content of gentamicin sulfate and neomycin sulfate. Chinese J Clin Pharm 2004-05.
46. Plozza T, Trenerry VC. The confirmation and quantification of selected aminoglycoside residues in animal tissue and bovine milk by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. Int Food Res J 2011;18:1077-84.
47. Caudron E, Bagriche S. Simultaneous quantification of gentamicin and colistin sulfate in pharmaceuticals using ion-pairing and polarity gradient chromatography with low-uv detection. Chromatrogrphia 2013;76:744-55.
48. Hussain A. Simple and rapid method on high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) for estimation of streptomycin sulphate. World Appl Sci J 2012;19:645-9.
49. TJ Whall. Determination of streptomycin sulfate and dihydrostreptomycin sulfate by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 1981;219:89-100.
50. Bruijnsvoort VM, Ottink MJ, Jonker MK. Determination of streptomycin and dihydrostreptomycin in milk and honey by liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 2004;1058:137-42.
51. Edder P, Cominoli A, Corvi C. Determination of streptomycin residues in food by solid-phase extraction and liquid chromatography with post-column derivatization and fluorometric detection. J Chromatogr A 1999;830:345-51.
52. Holzgrabe U, Nap JC, Kunz N. Identification and control of impurities in streptomycin sulfate by high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with mass detection and corona charged-aerosol detection. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2011;56:271-9.
53. Adams E, Rafiee M, Roets. Liquid chromatographic analysis of streptomycin sulfate. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2000;24:219-26.
54. Ashraf S, Ahmad ZR. Development and validation of an UPLC-ESI-MS/MS analytical method for the determination of streptomycin and dihydrostreptomycin residues in honey. Bio Pharm J 2017;10:1983-92.
55. Ruckmani K, Shaikh Z. A simple and rapid high-performance liquid chromatographic method for determining tobramycin in pharmaceutical formulations by direct UV detection. Pharm Method 2011;2:117-23.
56. Russ H, Mecleary. Development and validation of a stability-indicating HPLC method for the determination of tobramycin and its related substances in an ophthalmic suspension. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 1998;21:2165-81.
57. Zhu L, Wang J. Fast determination of tobramycin by reversed-phase ion pair high performance liquid chromatography with a refractive index detector. Front Chem Sci Eng 2013;7:322-8.
58. Clarot I, Paris IS, Chaminade. Simultaneous quantification of tobramycin and colistin sulfate by HPLC with evaporative light scattering detection. J Pharm Bio Sci 2009;50:64-7.
59. Kubo H, Kobayashi Y, Nishikawa T. Rapid method for determination of kanamycin and dibekacin in serum by use of high-pressure liquid chromatography. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1985;28:521-3.
60. Manyanga V, Elkady E, Hoogmartenus J. Improved reversed phase liquid chromatographic method with pulsed electrochemical detection for tobramycin in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. J Pharm Anal 2013;3:161-7.
61. Mashat M, Chrystn H, Clark BJ. Development and validation of HPLC method for the determination of tobramycin in urine samples post-inhalation using pre-column derivatisation with fluorescein isothiocyanate. J Pharm Bio Sci 2008;869:59-66.
62. Huang L, Haagensen JAJ. Determination of tobramycin in M9 medium by LC-MS/MS: signal enhancement by trichloroacetic acid. J Anal Methods Chem 2018:1-8. https://doi.org/ 10.1155/2018/7965124.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.