FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF ORODISPERSIBLE TABLETS OF LAMOTRIGINEUSING DISCRETE SUPER DISINTEGRANTS AND COPROCESSED EXCIPIENTS
Objective: The present study was designed to formulate and evaluate the orodispersible tablets of lamotrigine after enhancing its solubility.
Methods: Lamotrigine was made into an inclusion complex with eudragit E 100 my kneading and mass extrusion method and later this mixture is compressed into orodispersible tablet using various super disintegrants and co-processed excipients to reduce the disintegration time for providing prompt action through rapid drug release.
Results: Lamotrigine ODTs containing F-melt (F1-3%, F2-5%) dispersed in lesser time of (9±0.11) and (21±0.58) compared to formulations with polyplasdone XL-10 and primellose as super disintegrants respectively with F1 showing short wetting time. The water absorption was also was found to be more for formulation with 3% F-Melt.
Conclusion: Lamotrigine orodispersible tablets were prepared by direct compression technique by using 3% and 5% of three super disintegrants (f-melt, primellose and polyplasdone XL-10). Disintegration time of F1 (3% f-melt) formulation was found to be least (7 sec).
2. Ashwini R, Mangesh R, Rahul R. Formulation design and optimization of novel taste masked mouth-dissolving tablets of tramadol having adequate mechanical strength. AAPS PharmSciTech 2009;10:574-81.
3. Battu SK, Michael AR, Soumyajit M, Madhusudan Y. Formulation and evaluation of rapidly disintegrating fenoverine tablets: effect of superdisintegrants. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2007;33:1225-32.
4. Bhatu PB, Atish M. The technologies used for developing orally disintegrating tablets: a review. Acta Pharm 2011;61:117–39.
5. Poonuru RR, Gonugunta CSR. Spatio temporal release of lamotrigine by buoyant gastroretentive drug delivery: development and evaluation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:604-10.
6. Poonuru RR, Gonugunta CSR. Bimodal gastroretentive drug delivery systems of lamotrigine: formulation and evaluation. Indian J Pharm Sci 2014;76:476-82.
7. Poonuru RR, Gonugunta CSR. Development of buoyant controlled release drug delivery systems of atazanavir sulphate: effect of various diluents and lubricants on drug release. Pharm Int J Adv Pharm Sci 2014;5:1947-57.
8. Poonuru RR, Ramya SA, Rohini Ch, Pavan J, Lasya RE, Sasya A, et al. Development of sublingual tablets of losartan potassium with enhanced permeation through mucosa. J Med Pharm Sci 2020;1:38-43.
9. Poonuru RR, Abdul RA, Rohini Ch, Pavan J, Swetha S, Akhila M. Formulation and in vivo evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal tablet of fluvastatin sodium. Asian J Hosp Pharm 2020;1:35-45.
10. Poonuru RR. The dark side of clinical trials and remedial strategies in India. Asian J Hosp Pharm 2020;1:30-4.
11. Saurabh A, Balaji O, Amita Priya D, Mohan A, Meena K. Lamotrigine induced dress syndrome. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:3-4.
12. Francesco C, Elisa C, Paola M, Susanna B, Chiara G, Luisa M. Diclofenac fast-dissolving film: suppression of bitterness by a taste-sensing system. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2011;37:252–9.
13. Goel H, Arora A, Tiwary AK, Rana V. Development and evaluation of mathematical model to predict disintegration time of fast disintegrating tablets using powder characteristics. Pharm Dev Technol 2011;16:57-64.
14. Guptha A, Mishra AK, Guptha V, Bansal P, Singh R, Singh AK. Recent trends of fast dissolving tablet–an overview of formulation technology. Int J Pharm Bio Arch 2010;1:1-10.
15. James K. Dissolution testing of orally disintegrating tablets. Diss Tech 2003;10:6-8.
16. Jianchen X, Li B, Kang Z. Taste masking microspheres for orally disintegrating tablets. Int J Pharm 2008;359:63-9.
17. Kuno Y, Kojima M, Ando S, Nakagami H. Evaluation of rapidly disintegrating tablets manufactured by phase transition of sugar alcohols. J Controlled Release 2005;105:16-22.
18. Morita Y, Tsuhima Y, Yasui M, Termoz R, Ajioka J, Takayam K. Evaluation of the disintegration time of rapidly disintegrating tablets via a novel method utilizing CCD camera. Chem Pharm Bull 2002;50:1181-6.
19. Nishant V, Vikas R. Preparation and optimization of mouth/orally dissolving tablets using a combination of glycine, carboxymethyl cellulose and sodium alginate: a comparison with superdisintegrants. Pharm Dev Technol 2008;13:233-43.
20. Okuda Y, Irisawa Y, Okimoto K, Osawa T, Yamashita S. A new formulation for orally disintegrating tablets using a suspension spray-coating method. Int J Pharm 2009;382:80-7.
21. Rajan K, Sanjay G. Current status of drug delivery technologies and future directions. Pharm Tech 20011;25:1-14.
22. Rakesh P, Mona P, Prabodh C, Sharma, Dhirender K, Sanju N. Orally disintegrating tablets–friendly to pediatrics and geriatrics. Arch Pharm Res 2010;2:35-48.
23. Rosie ML, Susan B, Kieran C. Orally disintegrating tablets: the effect of recent FDA guidance on ODT technologies and applications. Pharm Technol 2009;5:1-6.
24. Shirwaikar AA. Fast disintegrating tablets of atenolol by dry granulation method. Ind J Pharm Sci 2004;66:422-6.
25. Mishra DN, Bindal M, Singh SK, Kumar SKV. Spray dried excipient base: a novel technique for the formulation of orally disintegrating tablets. Chem Pharm Bull 2006;54:99–102.
26. Mishra DN, Bindal M, Singh SK, Kumar SKV. Spray dried excipient base: a novel technique for the formulation of orally disintegrating tablets. Chem Pharm Bull 2006;54:99–102.
27. Mistry M. Application-related properties of a new fast dispersible excipient. Pharm Tech Eur 2009;2:24–7.
28. Gohel MC. A review of co-processed directly compressible excipients. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2005;8:76–93.
29. Satyajith P, Nodagala H, Panchagnula US, Srinivasa RB. Formulation and evaluation of orodispersible tablets (odts) of diclofenac sodium by using superdisintegrant from natural origin. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:190-7.
30. Sireesha P, R Kiranjyothi. Formulation and evaluation of antidepressant orodispersible tablets. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;8:52-60.
31. Dobetti L. Fast-melting tablets: developments and technologies. Pharm Tech Eur 2000;12:32–42.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.