CYTOTOXIC ACTIVITY OF METHANOLIC EXTRACTS OF SOLANUM ERIANTHUM D. DON
Objective: The study was aimed to evaluate cytotoxic activity of the methanolic extracts of Solanum erianthum on HeLa, HepG-2 and MCF-7 cell lines.
Methods: The percentage viability of the cell lines were carried out using trypan blue dye exclusion method and the cytotoxicity of the extracts was evaluated by MTT assay.
Result: Solanum erianthum leaf and fruit extract showed significant cytotoxic activity on the tested cell lines with IC50 values ranging from 111.67 to 385 Âµg mL-1. Fruit extract showed potent cytotoxic activity on MCF-7 (IC50 111.67 ÂµgmL-1), followed by leaf extract (IC50 150.50 ÂµgmL-1)on HeLa cell line using MTT assay. Cell viability assay showed that fruit extract was very active on MCF-7 and leaf extract was effective against HeLa.
Conclusion: The experiment performed reveals that Solanum erianthum can be used in development of anticancer drug.
2. George S, Bhalerao SV, Lidstone EA. Cytotoxicity screening of Bangladeshi medicinal plant extracts on pancreatic cancer cells. BMC Comp Alt Med 2010;10(1):52-5.
3. Mohammad S, Kashani HH, Azarbad Z. Capparis spinosa L. Propagation and medicinal uses. Life Sci J 2012;9(4):684-6.
4. Newman DJ, Cragg GM. Natural products as sources of new drugs over the last 25 years. J Nat Pro 2007;70:461-77.
5. Shashank K, Sanjay P, Abhay KP. In Vitro antibacterial, antioxidant, and cytotoxic activities of Parthenium hysterophorus and characterization of extracts by LC-MS analysis. Biomed Res Int 2014;1:1-10.
6. Singh O, Subharani K, Singh N, Devi N, Nevidita L. Isolation of steroidal glycosides from Solanum xanthocarpum and studies on their antifungal activities. Nat Pro Res 2007;21:585-90.
7. Arthan D, Svasti J, Kittakoop P, Pittayakhachonwut D, Tanticharoen M, Thebtaranonth Y. Antiviral iso-flavonoid sulfate and steroidal glycosides from the fruits of Solanum torvum. Phytochem 2002;59:459-63.
8. Silva T, Camara C, Agra F, Carvalho M, Frana M, Brandoline S, et al. Molluscicidal activity of Solanum species of the northeast of brazil on biomphalaria glabarata. Fitoterap 2006;77:449-52.
9. Makinde JM, Obih PO, Jimoh AA. Effect of Solanum erianthum aqueous leaf extract on Plasmodium berghei in mice. Afr J Med Med Sci 1987;16(4):193-6.
10. Agarwal AD, Bajpei PS, Patil A, Sunil R. Solanum torvum-A phytopharmacological review. Schl Res Lib 2010;2(4):403-7.
11. Blomqvist MM, Nguyen T, Padua LS, Bunyapraphatsara N, Lemmens RM. Plant resources of South-East Asia. Med Poisonous Plants 1999;12(1):453-8, 522-4.
12. Adam G, Huong HT, Khoi NH. The constituents of the Vietnamese drug plant Solanum verbascifolium. Planta Medica 1979;36:238-9.
13. Barnabas C, Nagarajan S. Antimicrobial activity of flavonoids of some medicinal plants. Fitoterap 1988;59(6):508-10.
14. Radhika M, Ramakrishnaiah H, Krishna V, Deepalakshmi AP. Phytochemical screening and antimicrobial activity of Solanum erianthum D. Don. Int J Pharm Sci 2014;4(2):507-11.
15. Radhika M, Ramakrishnaiah H, Krishna V, Naveen kumar N. Chemical composition of the essential oil from the fruits of Solanum erianthum D. Don J Essen Oil Bear Pl 2012;15(3):387-91.
16. Blechert S, Brodschelm W, Holder S, Kammerer L, Kutchan TM, Mueller MJ, et al. The octadecanoic pathway: signal molecules for the regulation of secondary pathways. Pro Nat Acad Sci USA 1995;92(10):4099-105.
17. Andre P, Jean L, Claude ML. Antitumor methods and compositions comprising sesquiterpene derivatives. FPL Pharm Inc; 2010.
18. Koduru S, Grierson DS, Venter M, Afolayan AJ. In vitro antitumour activity of Solanum aculeastrum berries on three carcinoma cells. Int J Canc Res 2006;2(4):397-402.
19. Sanjay P, Nirav G, Ashok S, Anand S. In-Vitro cytotoxicity activity of Solanum nigrum extract against HeLa cell line and Vero cell line. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2009;1(1):38-46.
20. Gandhiappan J, Rengasamy R. Antiproliferative activity of Solanum anguivi against cancer cell lines. Der Pharm Let 2012;4(3):875-80.
21. Raja SR, Dinesh MG, Jayalakshmi ET, Shafeer S, Kansrajh C. Antibacterial, antifungal and cytotoxic studies on leaf and seed extracts of Solanum xanthocarpum. Int J Phytopharmacol 2011;2(2):61-5.
22. Francis D, Rita L. Rapid colorimetric assay for cell growth and survival: modifications to the tetrazolium dye procedure giving improved sensitivity and reliability. J Immunol Met 1986;89(2):271-7.
23. Unnikrishnan MC, Kuttan R. Cytotoxicity of extracts of spices to cultured cells. Nutr Canc 1988;11(4):251-7.
24. Jeyaraj M, Arun R, Sathishkumar G, Mubarak Ali D, Rajesh M, Sivanandhan G, et al. An evidence on G2/M arrest, DNA damage and caspase mediated apoptotic effect of biosynthesized gold nanoparticles on human cervical carcinoma cells (HeLa). Mat Res Bull 2014;52:15-24.
25. Yin ST, Latifah SY, Jhi BF, Nurdin A, Yoke KC, Rasedee A, et al. Induction of apoptosis through oxidative stress-related pathways in MCF-7, human breast cancer cells, by ethyl acetate extract of Dillenia suffruticosa. BMC Comp Alt Med 2014;14(55):1-12.
26. Mothanna AQ, Rozita R, Yeap SK, Omar AR, Ali AM, Alitheen NB. Selective cytotoxicity of goniothalamin against hepatoblastoma HepG-2 cells. Molecul 2011;16:2944-59.
27. Ju EM, Lee SE, Hwang HJ, Kirn JH. Antioxidant and anticancer activity of extracts from Betulaplatyphylla japonica. Life Sci 2004;74:1013-26.
28. Amr A, Mohamed M. Merits of anti-cancer plants from the Arabian Gulf region-Review article. Canc Ther 2007;5:55-66.
29. Khakdan F, Khosro P. In vitro cytotoxic activity of aqueous root extract of Althea kurdica against endothelial human bone marrow cells (line k562) and human lymphocytes. Bull Env Pharmacol Life Sci 2013;2(6):23-9.
30. Kanadaswami C, Lee LT, Lee PP, Hwang JJ, Ke FC, Huang YT, et al. The antitumor activities of flavonoids. In Vivo 2005;19:895-909.
31. Brusselmans K, Vrolix R, Verhoeven G, Swinnen JV. Induction of cancer cell apoptosis by flavonoids is associated with their ability to inhibit fatty acid synthase activity. J Bio Chem 2005;280:5636-45.
32. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Met 1983;65:55-63.
33. Owen RW, Giacosa A, Hull WE, Haubner R, Spiegelhalder B. The antioxidant /anticancer potential of phenolic compounds isolated from olive oil. Eur J Canc 2000;36:1235-47.
34. Han XZ, Shen T, Lou HX. Dietary polyphenols and their biological significance. Int J Mol Sci 2007;8:950-88.
35. Fresco P, Borges F, Diniz C, Marques MP. New insights on the anticancer properties of dietary polyphenols. Med Res Rev 2006;26:747-66.
36. Tan ML, Sulaiman SF, Najirnuddin N, Samian MR, Tengku M. Methanolic extract of Pereskia bleo induces apoptosis in breast carcinoma, T47-D cell line. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;96:287-94.