COMPARATIVE STUDY OF LIPID PROFILE IN PATIENTS OF NON-DIABETIC CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE IN RELATION TO ITS SEVERITY
Objective: Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is a silent epidemic of the 21st century. Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is a major cause of morbidity and mortality among patients with CKD. This study aims to evaluate the type of dyslipidemia in CKD patients and correlates with the severity of renal dysfunction in CKD patients.
Methods: The observational study was conducted in the Department of General Medicine, PRM MCH, Baripada between May 2018 and January 2019. 262 patients of CKD above 15 y of age, satisfying the inclusion and exclusion criteria were included in the study.
Results: Out of 262 patients, 64.50% (169) were male and 35.50% (93) were females with M: F of 1.8:1. The age range was from 20 to 95. The average age of the patients in the study was 56.66+12.22 y. 45.04 % (118) of the patients were between 46 and 60 y of age. 68.70% of the patients had dyslipidemia. The comparison between lipid profiles of cases and controls showed a significant increase in total cholesterol, triglyceride, LDL and decrease in HDL.
Conclusion: The prevalence of dyslipidemia in non-diabetic CKD is high. A high degree of abnormality is found in HDL with disease progression, which is statistically significant. Therefore, maintenance of desired lipid levels either through diet or early initiation of lipid-lowering drugs can be helpful in decreasing the risk of cardiovascular complications in CKD patients.
2. Kaptein EM, Quion Verde H, Chooljian CJ, Tang WW, Friedman PE, Rodriquez HJ, et al. The thyroid in end stage renal disease. Medicine (Baltimore) 1988;67:187-97.
3. Veerappan I, Abraham G. Chronic kidney disease: current status, challenges and management in India. In: Medicine Update. Mumbai: Association of Physicians of India; 2013. p. 593–7.
4. Kher V. End-stage renal disease in developing countries. Kidney Int 2002;62:350–62.
5. Jha V, Garcia Garcia G, Iseki K. Chronic kidney disease: global dimension and perspectives. Lancet 2013;382:260-72.
6. CKD registry of India: Indian Society of Nephrology. Available from; http://www.ckdri.org [Last accessed on 20 Jan 2020]
7. Agarwal SK, Dash SC, Irshad M. Prevalence of chronic renal failure in adults in Delhi, India. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005;20:1638-42.
8. Babua C, Kalyesubula R, Okello E, Kakande B, Sebatta E, Mungoma M, et al. Cardiovascular risk factors among patients with chronic kidney disease attending a tertiary hospital in Uganda. Cardiovascular J Afr 2015;26:177–80.
9. Ata Sedik Elsayed, Azab Elsayed Azab. Correlation between chronic kidney diseases and hematological data in sabratha hospital in Libya. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:291-6.
10. Thomas R, Kanso A, Sedor JR. Chronic kidney disease and its complications. Prim Care 2008?35:329-44.
11. Tsimihodimos V, Mitrogianni Z, Elisaf M. Dyslipidemia associated with chronic kidney disease. Open Cardiovascular Med J 2011;5:41-8.
12. Tudor MN, Mitrea A, Popa SG. Apolipo proteins: good markers for cardiovascular risk in patients with CKD and dyslipidemia. Romanian J Diabetes Nutr Metab Diseases 2014;21:185-91.
13. Ulosoy S, Ozkan G. Lipid abnormalities in haemodialysis patients. Haemodialysis 2013;6:101-25.
14. Nelson RH. Hyperlipidemia as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Primary Care: Clin Office Practice 2013;40:195–211.
15. Miller M. Dyslipidemia and cardiovascular risk: the importance of early prevention. QJM 2009;102:657–67.
16. Trevisan R. Lipids and renal disease. J Am Soc Nephrol 2006;17(4, Suppl 2):S145–7.
17. Chen SC, Hung CC, Kuo MC, Lee JJ, Chiu YW, et al. Association of dyslipidemia with renal outcomes in chronic kidney disease. PLoS One 2013?8:e55643.
18. Issa V, Andrade L, Bocchi E. Current strategies for preventing renal dysfunction in patients with heart failure: a heart failure stage approach. Clinics 2013;68:401–9.
19. Tsimihodimos V. Dyslipidemia associated with chronic kidney disease. Open Cardiovascular Med J 2011;5:41–8.
20. Definition and classification of chronic kidney disease: a position statement from kidney disease: improving global outcomes (KDIGO). Kidney Int 2005;67:2089–100.
21. Dash ASC, Rana DS, Sharma RK. 2nd annual report CKD registry of India, Indian Society of Nephrology; 2007.
22. Abraham G, Sundaram V, Sundaram V. C-reactive protein, a valuable predictive marker in chronic kidney disease. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2009;20:811-5.
23. Ganta V, Yalamanchi RP, Mahanta KC. A study of lipid profile in non-diabetic chronic kidney disease. Int J Adv Med 2016;3:965-70.
24. Patel L, Sirajwala H. Serum apolipoprotein a-1, apolipoprotein b and apo B/Apo A-1 ratio as cardiovascular risk indicators in patients of chronic renal failure. Int J Biomed Adv Res 2014;5:234-6.
25. Mohanty R, Acharya R, Thatoi PK. Dyslipidaemia in CKD patients and its correlation with the severity of renal dysfunction. J Evolution Med Dent Sci 2018;7:1323-7.
26. Sumanth BK, Shobharani B. Comparative study of Hscrp in chronic kidney disease. IOSR J Pharm 2015;5:8-12.
27. Mahishale GS, Allolli D, Patil A, Basavaraj PG, Shetagar S, Talikoti S. Cardiovascular profile of patients with chronic kidney disease. Int J Res Med Sci 2019;7:2582-7.
28. Saroj K, Rajendra KC, Sharad G. Thyroid dysfunction and dyslipidemia in chronic kidney disease patients. Endocr Disord 2015;15:65.
29. Anderson SG, Diego L, Brenner BM. Renal and systemic manifestations and glomerular disease. 4th ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Company; 1991.
30. Poudel B, Yadav BK, Jha B, Raut KB. Dyslipidemia in chronic kidney disease in Nepalese population. Mymensingh Med J 2013;22:157-63.
31. Paul JK, Kurien SV. Study of lipid profile in chronic kidney disease patients of non-diabetic aetiology and its relation to serum calcium. JMSCR 2017;5:28284-90.
32. Kumari KR, Srinivas B. Study of lipid profile in patients with chronic kidney disease on conservative management and hemodialysis. Int J Sci Stud 2018;6:108-13.
33. Muntner P, Coresh J, Smith JC, Ekfeldt J, Klag MJ. Plasma lipids and risk of developing renal dysfunction: the atherosclerosis risk in communities. Kidney Int 2000;58:293–301.
34. Machnur B, Chandrashekar. Lipid abnormality in chronic kidney disease: descriptive study. Int J Med Res 2016;1:19-21.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.