SUPER GENERICS / IMPROVED THERAPEUTIC ENTITIES: AN APPROACH TO FULFIL UNMET MEDICAL NEEDS AND EXTENDING MARKET EXCLUSIVITY OF GENERIC MEDICINES
The generic market is more competitive & the pharmaceutical market players are looking for developing newer versions of generics by adding value to the product and getting the extension in market exclusivity for the particular brand. As new drug therapies are reaching the market after a long term of regulatory battle & high investment on research for which the companies are getting only 20 years of monopoly (patent), the markets have been in search for innovations in the generic products which can extend the patents & also offer extension in market exclusivity. These super generic drugs are not only better in patient compliance, but also provide better therapeutic effect than the other already existing generic versions. The market leaders follow the quality by design approach, multifunctional excipient, modifying dosage form & reforming the release pattern to develop the value added therapies which create a new segment and uplift the growth in generic market and even assure better quality & economic viability. This article highlights the global generic segment, market growth and opportunities for innovation in the generic market to develop super generic versions, development & commercialization strategies of super generics with due examples of marketed products of super generics.
2. Baeri F, Le Pen C, Simoens S. The generic pharmaceutical industry: moving beyond incremental innovation towards re-innovation. Generics Biosimilar J 2013 March; Available from: URL: http://gabi-journal.net/ the-generic-pharmaceutical-industry-moving-beyond-incremental-innovation-towards-re-innovation.html.
3. Mathew JC, Jaya Kumar PB. Getting the right dose, Has indian pharma found its new growth drivers in super generics. Bus World 2014;2:44-51.
4. Stegemann S, Klebovich I, Antal I, Blume HH, Magyar K, Nemeth G, et al. Improved therapeutic entities derived from known generics as an unexplored source of innovative drug products. Eur J Pharm Sci 2011;44:447-54.
5. World Preview 2014 Outlook to 2020. Evaluate Pharm 2014;7:23-8.
6. Vision Gain. Generic Drugs: World Market 2014-2024 and Future Prospects for Leading Companies, pharma report [Internet]. No date. Cited 2014 September 13; Available from: URL: https://www.visiongain.com/Report/1209/Generic-Drugs-World-Market-2014-2024.
7. Garud SS, Derle DV, Derle ND. Super generics: a cost saving paradigm. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2014;11:57-66.
8. Gaviria MN. The global use of medicines: outlook through 2017. IMS Institute Healthcare Informatics 2013;11:23-4.
9. US pharmacist. De Ruiter J, L Holston. A Jobson publication [Internet]. No date. Cited 2014 September 10; Available from: URL:http://www.uspharmacist.com/content/s/216/c/ 35249/
10. Ranbaxy Launches Absoricaâ„¢ (Isotretinoin) Capsules in the US. Healthcare Market [Home page on internet]. No date. Cited 2014 September 14; Available from: URL: http://www.ranbaxy.com/us/ranbaxy-launches-absoricatm-isotretinoin-capsules-in-the-u-s-healthcare-market.
11. Ranbaxy launches Absoricaâ„¢ (Isotretinoin) capsules in the U. S. Healthcare Market, Economic Times [Press release]. 2012 Nov 26; Available from: URL: http://articles.economictimes. indiatimes.com/2013-06-05/news/39764534_1_ meda-dymista- major-cipla.
12. Meda Expands Collaboration with the Indian Pharmaceutical Company Cipla, Reuterâ€™s Edition [Press release]. 2013 June 5; Available from: URL: ttp://in.reuters.com/article/ 2013/06/05/meda-idUSnBw055738a+100+BSW20 130605.
13. Meda Expands Collaboration with the Indian Pharmaceutical Company Cipla, Evaluate TM [Press release].2013 June 5; Available from: URL: http://www.evaluategroup.com/ Universal/View.aspx?type=Story&id=433236
14. Meda expands collaboration with the Indian pharmaceutical company Cipla [Press release] No date; Available from: URL: http://news.cision.com/meda/r/meda-expands-collaboration-with-the-indian-pharmaceutical-company-cipla,c9424595.
15. Sun Pharma gets US FDA nod for Docefrez injection, Money control. com [Press release]. 2011 May 4; Available from: URL: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/sun-pharma-gets-us-fda-nod-for-docefrez-injection_540486. html
16. US FDA. Drug Approval Package [Home page on internet] No date. Cited: 2014 September 10; Available from: URL: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2011/022534_docefrez_toc.cfm.
17. FDA Approves Docefrez, Drugs. Com [Press release] 2011 May 4; Available from: URL: http://www.drugs.com/ newdrugs/ sun-pharma-announces-us-fda-approval-docefrez-docetaxel-2646.html
18. Aegis Therapeutics and Dr. Reddy's Announce Strategic Alliance, Bloomberg [Press release] No date; Available from: URL: http://www.bloomberg.com/ apps/news?pid= newsarchive &sid=amzDEKVKdsag.
19. Aegis Therapeutics and Dr. Reddyâ€™s Announce Strategic Alliance [Home page on internet] 2010 Jan 25; Available from: URL: http://aegisthera.com/aegis-therapeutics-and-dr-reddys-announce-strategic-alliance.
20. Taiwan liposome makes impressive trading debut, Taipei Times [Press release] 2012 Dec 22; Available from: URL: http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2012/12/22/2003550701.