AN LC-MS/MS BASED BIOANALYTICAL APPROACH TO RESOLVE PHARMACOKINETIC INVESTIGATION OF ACOTIAMIDE HYDROCHLORIDE AND ITS APPLICATION TO BIOEQUIVALENCE STUDY
Objective: Acotiamide, a prokinetic drug used to treat Functional Dyspepsia, which acts by modulating gastric motility. However, in this present study, a simple and accurate bioanalytical method was developed for the estimation of Acotiamide in human plasma using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) and validated according to US-FDA guideline.
Methods: The method was developed in blank human blood plasma; propranolol was used as internal standard (IS). Protein Precipitation technique was followed for the extraction of the drug from the plasma sample. In liquid chromatography, the C18 analytical column (50 x 3 mm, particle size-5 μm) was used; as a mobile phase, 0.1% formic acid in Mili Q water, and ACN with methanol (1:1) used, at 0.50 ml/min flow rate. Detection was done by positive electrospray ionization (ESI) with a run time of 7 min in multiple reaction monitoring (MRM) mode. Eight calibration concentrations were taken, ranging from 1.5625-200 ng/ml for Acotiamide. Different stability studies were performed and obtained results found within the acceptable range. Moreover, a comparative pharmacokinetic analysis was done in 24 healthy human volunteers in a single dose, randomized, crossover study.
Results: The precursor to production reaction was; m/z 451.200 → 271.200 for Acotiamide and m/z 260.300 → 116.100 m/z for IS. The obtained calibration curve was linear, with a mean r2value 0.9953. Among the pharmacokinetic parameters, Cmax and Tmax were 25.71±2.31,23.61±2.32 ng/ml; 2.54±0.12, 2.43±0.21 h for reference and test samples, respectively.
Conclusion: No major adverse events were noted in the clinical phase, the developed method was accurate and linear; obtained pharmacokinetic parameters hence represented.
2. Hironobu M, Norihisa I, Mayumi O, Daisuke I, Eiko O, Shunji I, et al. Acotiamide has no effects on esophageal motor activity or esophagogastric junction compliance. J Neurogastroenterol Motil 2018;24:241-7.
3. Tack J, Janssen P. Acotiamide (Z-338, YM443), a new drug for the treatment of functional dyspepsia. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2011;20:701–12.
4. Kusunoki H, Haruma K, Manabe N. Therapeutic efficacy of acotiamide in patients with functional dyspepsia based on enhanced postprandial gastric accommodation and emptying: randomized controlled study evaluation by real-time ultrasonography. J Neurogastroenterol Motil 2012;24:540–5.
5. Nagahama K, Matsunaga Y, Kawachi M, Ito K, Tanaka T, Hori Y, et al. Acotiamide, a new orally active acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, stimulates gastrointestinal motor activity in conscious dogs. J Neurogastroenterol Motil 2012;24:566–74.
6. Attia KA, Nassar MW, El?Olemy A, Ramzy S. Spectrofluorimetric determination of acotiamide hydrochloride trihydrate in the presence of its oxidative degradation product. Luminescence 2018;1–6. https://doi.org/10.1002/bio.3480.
7. Lacy BE, Talley NJ, Locke GR. Current treatment options and management of functional dyspepsia. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2012;36:3–15.
8. Karamanolis GP, Tack J. Current management of functional dyspepsia: impact of Rome III subdivision. Ann Gastroenterol 2012;25:96–9.
9. Tijare LK, Rangari NT, Mahajan UN. A review on bioanalytical method development and validation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:6-10.
10. Dhiman H, Shubhasis D, Murari MP, Easha B, Nilendra C, Pradipta S, et al. LC–MS/MS assay for quantitation of enalapril and enalaprilat in plasma for bioequivalence study in Indian subjects. Future Science OA 2017;3:1-19.
11. United States Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for Industry: Bioavailability and Bioequivalence Studies for orally Administered Drug Products; 2000.
12. The European Agency for the Evaluation of MedicinalProducts EMA Committee for Proprietary Medicinal Products (CPMP) Note for guidance on the investigation of Bioavailability and Bioequivalence, London; 2001.
13. Dhiman H, Shubhasis D, Pradipta S, Dibya D, Umesh Chandra H, Tapan KP. LC-MS/MS determination of 4-hydroxy nimesulide, an active metabolite of nimesulide and application to bioequivalence study in Indian subjects. Eur J Mass Spectrom 2019;25:399-411.
14. Altan E, Masaoka T, Farre R, Tack J. Acotiamide, a novel gastroprokinetic for the treatment of patients with functional dyspepsia: postprandial distress syndrome. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2012;6:533–44
15. Dhiman H, Shubhasis D, Easha B, Pradipta S, Umesh CH, Tapan KP. A rapid LC-ESI-MS/MS method for the quantitation of salicylic acid, an active metabolite of acetylsalicylic acid: application to in vivo pharmacokinetic and bioequivalence study in Indian healthy male volunteers. Appl Clin Res Clin Trials Regul Aff 2015;2:90-102.
16. Sourav D, Dhiman H, Shubhasis D, Easha B, Chiranjit S, Tapan KP. Method development, validation and plasma analysis of etoricoxib using LC-MS/MS in Indian healthy human volunteers. Indian Drugs 2019;56:34-41.
17. Shubhasis D, Dhiman H, Anwesha B, Easha B, Pragnya C, Pradipta S, et al. Comparative bioavailability study of two antiretroviral FDC containing abacavir 600 mg and lamivudine 300 mg in healthy human Indian volunteers. J Appl Biopharm Pharmacokinet 2015;3:18-26.
18. Shubhasis D, Dhiman H, Anwesha B, Easha B, Murari MP, Balaram G, et al. Bio-analytical method development and validation of tadalafil with a special emphasis on pharmacokinetic study in healthy indian subjects for the ods formulation. Curr Anal Chem 2015;11:175-83.
19. Bapi G, Hira C, Dhiman H, Amlan KS, Pradipta S, Easha B, et al. A comparative pharmacokinetic study of a fixed dose combination for essential hypertensive patients: a randomized crossover study in healthy human volunteers. Drug Res 2013;63:177-84.
20. Amlan KS, Debotri G, Dhiman H, Pradipta S, Sujata GD, Tapan KP, et al. A rapid LC-ESI-MS/MS method for the quantitation of choline, an active metabolite of citicholine: application to in vivo pharmacokinetic and bioequivalence study in Indian healthy male volunteers. J Pharma Biomed Anal 2012;71:144-7.
21. Amlan KS, Debotri G, Dhiman H, Pradipta S, Hira C, Sujata GD, et al. Biopharmaceutical evaluation of active metabolite of fenofibrate and atorvastatin in human plasma by LC-ESI-MS/MS method. J Pharm Res 2012;5:2347-51.
22. Jing Li, Rui Huang, Zhi Wang, Haijun Qu, Meijuan Sun, Zhenhuan Zhao, et al. Development and validation of a sensitive and specific lc–ms-ms method for the determination of acotiamide in rat plasma. J Chromatogr Sci 2016;54:1004–9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.