CONVALESCENT PLASMA THERAPY: A NOVEL APPROACH TO A NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
Objective: The Corona virus-induced disease-19 (COVID-19) turning to its aggressive phase of spreading, the treatment options where less and several options are trialing and seeking. Convalescent plasma therapy is one of the newest trailing therapy for COVID patients today without other definite treatment. The convalescent plasma (CP) therapy is used previously and identified its benefits in other conditions. But in the case of COVID 19 the effects and safety should be ensured for its implementation.
Methods: Systematically searched in Pub Med and other authentic sources for articles of interest.
Results: This review includes 5 studies, over all 26 patients who treated CP and following progressions and events. All became clinically better and the antibody titer increased in the patients. Not only that the viral load decreased with a reduction in inflammatory markers
Conclusion: These small studies and case series suggest that CP is effective and safety is high for clinical recover and reduction in viral load.
2. Malik JK, Kumar A, Soni H. Epidemiology of novel coronavirus (covid-19): a review. J Clin Pharmaco-Epidemiol Res 2020;2:5-13.
3. Tanne JH. Covid-19: FDA approves use of convalescent plasma to treat critically ill patients. Br Med J 2020. DOI:10.1136/ bmj.m1256
4. Al-Tameemi KA, Kabakli R. Novel coronavirus (2019-ncov): disease briefings. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2020;13:22-7.
5. Parameshwar K, S Pamu, K Sandeep, C Suresh. A review novel coronavirus. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2020;13:12-7.
6. Kai Duan. Effectiveness of convalescent plasma therapy in severe COVID-19 patients. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2020;117:9490-6.
7. Ahn JY, Sohn Y, Lee SH, Cho Y, Hyun JH, Baek YJ, et al. Use of convalescent plasma therapy in two covid-19 patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome in korea. J Korean Med Sci 2020;35:e149.
8. Duan K, Liu B, Li C, Zhang H, Yu T, Qu J, et al. Effectiveness of convalescent plasma therapy in severe covid-19 patients. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2020;117:9490-6.
9. Shen C, Wang Z, Zhao F, Yang Y, Li J, Yuan J, et al. Treatment of 5 critically ill patients with covid-19 with convalescent plasma. JAMA 2020;323:1582-9.
10. Ye M, Fu D, Ren Y, Wang F, Wang D, Zhang F, et al. Treatment with convalescent plasma for covid?19 patients in Wuhan, China. J Med Virol 2020. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.25882
11. Zhang B, Liu S, Tan T, Huang W, Dong Y, Chen L, et al. Treatment with convalescent plasma for critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Chest 2020;158:e9-e13.
12. Sonali Wairagade BAMS, MD, MRAV, Deepali Giri, Ajay Meshram. facing the deadly pandemic–covid 19. JCR 2020;7:61-5.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.