RP-HPLC METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION FOR SIMULTANEOUS QUANTITATIVE ESTIMATION OF METRONIDAZOLE AND NALIDIXIC ACID IN TABLETS
Objective: To develop an accurate, precise and linear Reverse Phase High Performance Liquid Chromatographic (RP-HPLC) method for simultaneous quantitative estimation of Metronidazole and Nalidixic acid in tablets and validate as per ICH guidelines.
Methods: The optimized method uses a reverse phase C18 column Inertsil ODS C18 column (250X4.6 mmÃ—5Âµ) mobile phase consisting of mixed phosphate buffer (pH 4.5; KH2PO4+K2HPO4):methanol: acetonitrile in the proportion of 30:50:20 v/v. The mobile phase was set at a flow rate of 1.2 ml/min and the volume injected was 20Î¼l for every injection. The detection wavelength was set at 271 nm.
Results: The developed method resulted in Metronidazole eluting at 2.92 min and Nalidixic acid at 3.99 min. Metronidazole exhibited linearity in the range 30-70Î¼g/ml, while Nalidixic acid exhibited linearity in the range 45-105Î¼g/ml. The precision is exemplified by relative standard deviations of 0.714% for Metronidazole and 0.398% for Nalidixic acid. Percentage Mean recoveries were found to be in the range of 98â€102, during accuracy studies. The limit of detection (LOD) for Metronidazole and Nalidixic acid were found to be 2.48Âµg/ml and 2.24Âµg/ml respectively, while limit of quantitiation (LOQ) for Metronidazole and Nalidixic acid were found to be 7.51Âµg/ml and 6.79Âµg/ml respectively.
Conclusion: A simple, accurate, precise, linear and rapid RP-HPLC method was developed for simultaneous quantitative estimation of Metronidazole and Nalidixic acid in tablets and validated as per ICH guidelines. Hence it can be used for the routine analysis of Metronidazole and Nalidixic acid in tablets in various pharmaceutical industries.
2. Lamp KC, Freeman CD, Klutman NE, Lacy MK. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics f the nitroimidazole antimicrobials. Clin Pharmacokinet 1999;39(5):353-73.
3. Loft S, Otton V, Lennard MS, Tucker GT, Poulsen HE. Characterization of metronidazole metabolism by human liver microsomes. Biochem Pharmacol 1991;41(8):1127â€“34.
4. Bikshal BK, Venkateswara rao A, Useni Reddy M. Reverse phase liquid chromatographic method for the simultaneous estimation of antibiotic drugs: Metronidazole, Nalidixic acid, Tinidazole and Norfloxacin. Der Pharm Lett 2014;6(4):411-9.
5. Bassam MT, Elaine LJ, Myron KJ. Validation of a simple and rapid HPLC Method for determination of Metronidazole in dermatological formulations. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2008;34(8):840-4.
6. Talwar N, Jain NK. High-performance liquid-chromatographic determination of metronidazole in tablets and biological samples. Indian Drugs 1991;29:78-81.
7. El-Gizawy SM. HPLC analysis of metronidazole and diloxanide furoate in its dosage forms. Anal Lett 1995;28:83-92.
8. Bhoir IC, Raman B, Sundaresan M, Bhagwat AM. Separation and estimation of diloxanide furoate and metronidazole in solid dosage form using packed column supercritical fluid chromatography. Anal Chim Acta 1997;354:123-8.
9. Vega E Dabbene V, Nassetta M, Sola N. Validation of a reversed-phase LC method for quantitative analysis of intravenous admixtures of Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1999;21:1003-9.
10. Adel M, Diana S. Stability indicating reversed-phase liquid chromatographic determination of Metronidazole benzoate and Diloxanide furoate as bulk drug and in suspension dosage form. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2005;15(39):819-23.
11. Mahalingam K, Rajarajan S. Estimation of metronidazole and norfloxacin in formulations by reverse phase HPLC method. Arch Pharm Sci Res 2009;1(2):162-5.
12. Patel B, Shah NJ, Patel NM. Simultaneous estimation of Metronidazole and ciprofloxacin by RP-HPLC method in bulk drug and suspension. Int J Chem Sci 2009;7(3):2115-21.
13. Amit JK, Vikram VS, Vikram VW, Vijay M. Simultaneous estimation of Metronidazole and Ofloxacin in combined dosage form by reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography method. Int J Chem Tech Res 2009;1(4):1244-50.
14. Nagwa HF. High performance liquid chromatographic determination of nalidixic acid in tablets. J Liq Chromatogr 1995;18(20):4135-47.
15. Ichikawa N, Naora K, Hayashibara M, Iwamoto K. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of Nalidixic acid in rat serum, brain and cerebrospinal fluid. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1993;11(10):993-7.
16. Roseboom H, Sorel RHA, Lingeman H, Bouwman R. Rapid gas chromatographic method for the determination of Nalidixic acid in plasma. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 1979;163(1):92â€“5.
17. Sirisha T, Gurupadayya BM, Sridhar S. Simultaneous determination of Ciprofloxacin and Nalidixic acid in tablet dosage form by reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography. Trop J Pharm Res 2014;13(6):981-7.
18. Walash MI, Ibrahim F, El Abass S. Isocratic RP-HPLC method for separation and simultaneous determination of ternary mixture of Omeprazole, Nalidixic acid and Doxycycline in their raw materials and combined capsules. Anal Methods 2013;5:5105-11.
19. Sebaiy MM, El-Shanawany AA, Adl SM, Abdel-Aziz LM, Hashem HA. Rapid RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of Norfloxacin and Nalidixic acid in tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharm Anal 2011;1(4):79-84.
20. Vikas K, Senthil kumar M, Mahadevan N. Simultaneous estimation of Amoxicillin, Nalidixic acid and Omeprazole in microsphere formulation by RP-HPLC. Int J Recent Adv Pharm Res 2012;2(2):78-83.
21. Meshram DB, Bagade SB, Tajne MR. Simple HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of Fluconazole and Nalidixic acid in combined dose tablet. J Chromatogr Sci 2009;47(10):885-8.
22. Chiranjeevi B, Swati B, Kalyan O. Novel reverse phase HPLC method development and validation of Fluconazole and Nalidixic acid in a combined tablet dosage form. Int J Chem Tech Res 2011;3(3):1309-17.
23. Mahmoud MS, Abdullah AS, Sobhy MEA, Lobna MAA, Hisham AH. Rapid RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of Norfloxacin and Nalidixic acid in tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharm Anal 2011;1(4):79-84.
24. Pai P, Rao GK, Srinivas B, Puranik S. RPLC determination of Nalidixic acid and Diloxanide furoate in tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 2008;70:670-2.
25. Bari VR, Dhorda UJ, Sundaresan M. Simultaneous estimation of Nalidixic Acid and Metronidazole in dosage forms using packed column Supercritical fluid chromatography. Anal Chim Acta 1998;376:221-5.
26. Parimoo P, Prasad CVN, Vineeth R. Simultaneous quantitative determination of Metronidazole and Nalidixic Acid in tablets by difference spectroscopy. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1996;14:389-93.
27. Argekar AP, Raj SV, Kapadia SU. Simultaneous determination of Metronidazole and Nalidixic Acid in pharmaceutical dosage forms by HPTLC. Indian Drugs 1996;33:167-70.
28. Nternational conference on harmonization of technical requirements for registration of harmaceuticals for human use. Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology CH Q2 (R1); 2005.