A CASE STUDY ON FOURNIER’S GANGRENE IN AN EPILEPTIC PATIENT WITH THE EMERGENCE OF ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE IN BACTERIA
Fournier's gangrene is rare necrotizing soft tissue infection affecting the perianal, perineal, and genital areas. The mean age of the reported cases was found to be at 55 y, predominantly in men. It occurs due to insufficient blood supply to the affected areas, along with the presence of an infection. Delay in the treatment is associated with a higher mortality rate, up to 90%, as the condition might progress to septic shock and other complications. Treatment requires urgent surgical debridement of all the necrotic tissue along with high doses of broad-spectrum antibiotics. Empirical broad-spectrum antibiotic therapy is to be initiated as soon as possible until the results of the culture cause modifications in the therapy.
2. Mallikarjuna MN, Vijayakumar A, Patil VS, Shivswamy BS. Fournier's gangrene: current practices. ISRN Surg 2012. Doi:10.5402/2012/942437
3. Kuzaka B, Wroblewska MM, Borkowski T. Fournier's gangrene: clinical presentation of 13 cases. Med Sci Monit 2018;24:548-55.
4. Taken K, Oncu MR, Ergun M. Fournier's gangrene: causes, presentation, and survival of sixty-five patients. Pak J Med Sci 2016;32:746-50.
5. Chernyadyev SA, Ufimtseva MA, Vishnevskaya IF. Fournier's gangrene: literature review and clinical cases. Urol Int 2018;101:91-7.
6. Chennamsetty A, Khourdaji I, Burks F, Killinger KA. Contemporary diagnosis and management of fournier's gangrene. Ther Adv Urol 2015;7:203-15.
7. Sockkalingam VS, Subburayan E, Velu E, Rajashekar ST, Swamy AM. Fournier's gangrene: a prospective study of 34 patients in the South Indian population and treatment strategies. Pan Afr Med J 2018;31:110.
8. El-Qushayri AE, Khalaf KM, Dahy A, Mahmoud AR, Benmelouka AY, Ghozy S, et al. Fournier’s gangrene mortality: a 17 y systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Infect Dis 2020;92:218-25.
9. Inacio MF, Lima RP, Rizzo Neto S, Lopes FA, Pantaroto M, Sousa AV. Epidemiological study on fournier syndrome in a tertiary hospital in Jundiai-SP from October 2016 to October 2018. JCOL 2020;40:37-42.
10. Ullah S, Khan M, Jan MA. Fournier's gangrene: a dreadful disease. Surgeon 2009;7:138-42.
11. Rachana K, Biswas R, Bhat P, Sistla S, Kumari S, Kate V. Rare isolation of Fusobacterium varium from a case of Fournier’s gangrene. Anaerobe 2019;57:82-5.
12. Bjurlin MA, O'Grady T, Kim DY, Divakaruni N, Drago A, Blumetti J, et al. Causative pathogens, antibiotic sensitivity, resistance patterns, and severity in a contemporary series of fournier's gangrene. Urology 2013;81:752-9.
13. El-Qushayri AE, Khalaf KM, Dahy A, Mahmoud AR, Benmelouka AY, Ghozy S, et al. Fournier’s gangrene mortality: a 17 y systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Infect Dis 2020;92:218-25.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.