COVID-19: An Update on the Epidemiological status of South India
Epidemiological status of South India
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS-COV-2), evolved in the late December 2019 and was reported first from Wuhan, China. It remains as a major threat to human community all over the world. Steadily increasing mortality rate observed among COVID 19 patients globally. Globally, till July 25th, 2020 totally 15, 581, 009 confirmed cases and 6, 35,173 death cases reported as per WHO on July 25th 2020 at 5.30 GMT. United States of America, Brazil, India and Russia recorded the highest cases in the world. In India, 13, 85,494 confirmed cases and 32,096 deaths reported till July 25, 2020. The current study reports on COVID-19 outbreak among South Indian states and the data were comparatively studied among four states from March to July 15, 2020. In south India, Tamil Nadu reports highest cases when compared to other states and the least cases was found in Kerala.
2. Rothan HA, Byrareddy SN. The epidemiology and pathogenesis of coronavirus
disease (COVID-19). J of Autoimmunity 2020;109:1-4.
3. Chan JF, Kok KH, Zhu Z, Chu H, To KK, Yuan S, et al. Genomic characterization of
the 2019 novel human-pathogenic coronavirus isolated from a patient with atypical pneumonia after visiting Wuhan. Emerging Microbes & Infections 2020;9:221-236.
4. Lu R, Zhao X, Li J, Niu P,Yang B, Wu H, et al. Genomic characterisation and epidemiology of 2019 novel coronavirus: implications for virus origins and receptor binding. The Lancet 2020;395:565-574.
5. Gulia A, Panda PK, Parikh P. India and COVID – 19 Pandemic - Standing at Crossroad!!!!! Indian J Med Sci 2020;72(1):1-2.
6. Cheke RS, Shinde S, Ambhore J, Adhao V, Cheke D. Coronavirus: Hotspot on coronavirus disease 2019 in India. Indian J Med Sci 2020;72(1):29-34.
7. Media bulletin, Government of Tamil Nadu. Available form https://stopcorona.tn.gov.in/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Media-Bulletin-15.07.2020-27-Pages-English-479-KB.pdf. [Last accessed on 2020 Jul 15].
8. Daily Bulletin, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Available form http://hmfw.ap.gov.in/Daily_bullettin/15-07-2020/15-07-2020_10AM_Telugu.pdf. [Last accessed on 2020 Jul 16].
9. Daily Bulletin, Government of Kerala. Available form https://dhs.kerala.gov.in/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Bulletin-HFWD-English-July-15.pdf. [Last accessed on 2020 Jul 16].
10. South India COVID19 update. Available form https://www.covid19india.org/. [Last accessed on 2020 Jul 16].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.