A STUDY ON DRUG UTILIZATION EVALUATION AND POTENTIAL DRUG RELATED PROBLEMS IN TYPE-2 DIABETES MELLITUS PATIENTS WITH CO-MORBIDITIES IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL
Objective: The objective of this study is to evaluate prescribing pattern, analyze drug-related problems, identify co-morbidities and complications in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus patients and also to perform cost analysis of Biguanides, Sulfonylureas, Dipeptidyl Peptidase Inhibitors
Methods: A Prospective observational study was done in General Medicine and Endocrinology Departments of PSG Hospitals. A total of 200 study subjects, including both inpatients and outpatients, above 18 y of age, prescribed with OHAs (Biguanides, Sulfonylureas and DPP4 inhibitors) were included in the study.
Results: Diabetes was more prevalent among males. OHAs were most prescribed in the age group of 51-60 y. Hypertension (71%) was the most common comorbidity and Diabetic neuropathy (23%) was the most common complication found in the patients. Multidrug therapy (72.5%) was most prescribed in diabetic patients, followed by Biguanides. Hypoglycemia was the most prevalent ADR. Cost analysis showed that T. Linagliptin was of high cost and T. Glimepiride being the low cost. Using WHO core indicators prescribing patterns were assessed. Feedback was collected and results were reported to the physicians which showed rational utilization of drugs.
Conclusion: The study on drug utilization conducted in a tertiary care hospital helped us to find out that prescribing trends seems to be progressing towards combination therapy, predominantly two-drug therapy
2. Ranjodh Jeet Singh, Ashwani Kumar Gupta, Kanika Kohli. Diabetes mellitus: a review with edge of SGLT2 inhibitors. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:1-2.
3. International Diabetes Federation-IDF Diabetes Atlas 9th. Edition; 2019. p. 74-75.
4. Iin Presetiawati, Retnosari Andrajati, Rani Sauriasari. Effectiveness of a medication booklet and counseling on treatment adherence in type 2 diabetes mellitus patient. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:27-30.
5. Afroz Abidi, Dilshad Ali Rizvi, Ali Ahmad. Pharmacoeconomic and drug utilization study of antidiabetic therapy in a tertiary care teaching hospital of Northern India. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:371-5.
6. Deepika Perumilla, Divya Gopineni, Venkatapathi Raju, R Chaitanya Deepthi, Ranganayakulu D. A prospective study on co-morbidities and drug utilization evaluation in the diabetic patient in a tertiary care hospital. Inventi Impact: Pharmacy Practice 2018;3:136-43.
7. Geetha P, Shanmugasundharam P. Drug utilization evaluation of antidiabetic drugs among type 2 diabetes patients of Tamil Nadu. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:202-5.
8. Kenneth Ekorua, Ayo Doumateya, Amy R Bentleya, Guanjie Chena, Jie Zhoua, Daniel Shriner. Type 2 diabetes complications and comorbidity in Sub-Saharan Africans. E Clin Med 2019;16:30–41.
9. Pradeep Battula, S Afreen, E Meena, S Siva Ram Reddy, G Sujatha. Prevalence of peripheral sensory neuropathy in diabetic patients at diabetes care centre: a cross-sectional study. Int J Res Med Sci 2017;5:4066-71.
10. Eva L Feldman, MJ Stevens, DA Greene. A practical two-step quantitative clinical and electrophysiological assessment for the diagnosis and staging of diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes Care 1994;17:1281-9.
11. G Sultana, P Kapur, M Aqil, MS Alam, KK Pillai. Drug utilization of oral hypoglycemic agents in a university teaching hospital in India. J Clin Pharm Ther 2010;35:267-77.
12. Shanthi M, Madhavrao C. Study of adverse drug reaction and causality assessment of antidiabetic drugs. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2019;8:56-60.
13. Soumya Mary Alex, Sreelekshmi BS, Smitha S. Drug utilization pattern of anti-diabetic drugs among diabetic outpatients in a tertiary care hospital. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:144-6.
14. Rania Indu, Anjan Adhikari, Indira Maisnam. Polypharmacy and comorbidity status in the treatment of type 2 diabetic patients attending a tertiary care hospital: an observational and questionnaire-based study. Perspectives Clin Res 2018;9:139–44.
15. Birhanu Demeke, Tigist Asefa, Fantahun Molla, Admassu Assen. Evaluation of drugs utilization pattern using who prescribing indicators in ayder referral hospital, Northern Ethiopia. Int J Pharma Sci Res 2015;6:343-7.
16. Pardeep Kumar Goyal, Shalini Arora, Bharti Mahajan, Sandeep Kaushal. Prescribing pattern and pharmacoeconomic analysis of antidiabetic drugs. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2019;8:1844-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.