DOSAGE RESPONSE OF PIMPINELLA TIRUPATIENSIS TUBEROUS ROOT EXTRACT ON HYPERGLYCEMIC CONDITION IN STZ- INDUCED DIABETIC RATS WITH REFERENCES TO SHORT AND LONG TERM TREATMENT
Objectives: To evaluate the antidiabetic effect of three extractions [n-Hexane (n-HE), ethyl alcohol (EAE) and aqueous extract (AE)] of Pimpinella tirupatiensis (Pt) tuberous root on the fasting blood glucose (FBG) level of rats during streptozotocin (STZ) induced diabetes.
Methods: Experimental diabetes was induced by intra peritoneal injection of STZ (40 mg/kg b.w.). FBG level was determined at 0 hour (before extract [DS1]Â administration), 1st, 3rd 5th and 7th hour (after extract administration) by using electronic glucometer (accucheck).
Results: We observed, AE showed a maximum efficacy with a dosage of 750 mg/ kg b.w. at 5th hour which is about 49% reduction in FBG level over zero time values. Hence, we have selected 750 mg dose of AE of Pt to investigate the long term effect on down regulation of blood glucose level. Oral administration of AE (750 mg/kg b.w./day) for 30 days showed a significant antihyperglycemic effect in diabetic rats. However, no significant changes were noticed in blood glucose level in normal rats treated with AE alone. It seems AE considerably reduced the blood glucose concentration in a similar manner to that of reference drug glibenclamide (20 mg/kg b.w.) in diabetic rats.
Conclusion: These results suggest that Pimpinella tirupatiensis aqueous extract is beneficial in the control of diabetes by reduction of blood glucose levels.
2. Pradeepa R, Mohan V. The changing of the diabetes epidemic implications for India. Indian J Med Res 2002;116:121â€“32.
3. Holman RR, Turner RC. Oral agents and insulin in the treatment of NIDDM. In: Pickup J, Williams G (eds.) Textbook of Diabetes. Blackwell Oxford; 1991. P. 467-9.
4. Kameswara Rao B, Giri R, Kesavalu MM, Rao CHA. Herbal medicine in the management of diabetes mellitus. Manphar Vaidhya Patrika 1997;4, 5:33â€“5.
5. Mukherjee SK. Indigenous drugs in diabetes mellitus. J Diabetes Assoc Ind 1981;21(1):97-106.
6. Rai MK. A review on some antidiabetic plants of India. Ancient Sci Life 1995;14(3):42-54.
7. Rakieten N, Rakieten ML, Nadkarni MV. Studies on the diabetogenic action of streptozotocin (NSC-37917). Cancer Chemother Rep 1963;29:91â€“8.
8. Trease GE, Evans WC. Pharmacognsy. 11 th edn. Brailliar Tiridel Can. Macmillian publishers; 1989.
9. Kameswara Rao B, Giri R, Kesavalu MM, Rao CHA. Effect of oral administration of bark extract of Pterocarpus santalinus. L. on blood glucose level in experimental animals. J Ethnopharmacol 2001;74:69-74.
10. Virdi J, Sivakami S, Shahani S, Suthar AC, Banavalikar MM, Biyani MK. Antihyperglycemic effects of three extracts from Momordica charantia. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;88:107-11.
11. Jayakar B, Suresh B. Antihyperglycemic and hypoglycemic effect of Aporosa linleyana in normal and alloxan induced diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;84:247-9.
12. Sezik E, Aslan M, Yesilada E. Hypoglycemic activity of Gentianaolivieri and isolation of the active constituent through bioassay-directed fractionation techniques. Life Sci 2005;76:1223â€“38.
13. Erah PO, Osuide GE, Omogbai EKI. Hypoglycemic effect of the extract of Soleno stemonmonostachys leaves. J West Afr Pharm 1996;10:21-7.
14. Shanmugasundaram KR, Paneerselvam C, Samudram P, Shanmugasundaram ERB. The insulinotropic activity of Gymnema sylvestre RBr an Indian medical herb used in controlling diabetes mellitus. Pharmacol Res Commun 1981;13:475â€“86.
15. Chakravarthy BK, Gupta S, Gambhir SS, Gode KD. The prophylactic action of (-)-epi catechin against alloxan induced diabetes in rats. Life Sci 1981a;29:2043â€“7.
16. Chakravarthy BK, Gupta S, Gambhir SS, Gode KD. Pancreatic beta cell regeneration. A novel antidiabetic mechanism of Pterocarpus marsupeum Roxb. Indian J Pharmacol 1980;12:123-7.
17. Tchamadeu MC, Dzeufiet PDD, Kouambou Nouga CC, Azebaze AGB, Allard J, Girolami JP, et al. Hypoglycemic effects of Mammea africana (Guttiferae) in diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2010;127:368â€“72.
18. Benwahhoud M, Joud H, Eddouks M, Lyoussi B. Hypoglycemic effect of Suaeda fruticosain streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2001;76:35-8.