ANTI-OBESITY EFFECTS OF THE METHANOL EXTRACT OF MOMORDICA FOETIDA (CUCURBITACEAE) ON HIGH FAT DIET-INDUCED OBESE MALE WISTAR RATS
Obesity is a condition in which excess body fat accumulation into the body with serious health and social consequences if not properly corrected. Momordica foetida is used in traditional medicine to treat malaria, diabetes and hypertension. This study was designed to evaluate the effect of M. foetida methanol extract (MEMf) on high fat diet-induced obese rats. Four groups of 6 male Wistar rats each were fed high fat diet (HFD) for 4 weeks and then treated with distilled water (control group), 50 or 100 mg/kg ofMEMfor 10 mg/kg the reference compound Atorvastatin for 4 weeks. A group of normal rats was used as control respective to the HFD obese rats. HFD induced in animals an increase in body and liver weights, relative abdominal fat pad and as compared to the normal diet group. In addition, HFD reduced the superoxide dismutase and catalase activities, glutathione levels and increased lipid peroxidation in the animal liver, heart and kidney homogenates. Furthermore, HFD resulted in hyperlipidemic changes as illustrated by increased serum triglycerides, total cholesterol, LDL, VLDL, atherogenic index, coronary risk index and decreased HDL. All these events were subsequently normalized after administering of both doses (50 and 100 mg/kg) of MEM for Atorvastat into the HFD obese rats. This study demonstrates the potential of MEMf to normalize hyperlipidemia, oxidative stress and animal visceral organ weights induced by HFD in rats. M.foetidaconstitutesan interesting medicinal plant that could be exploited as sources of anti- obesity agents.
2. OECD. Obesity Update. 2017. https://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/Obesity-Update-2017.pdf . Accessed date February 21, 2021
3. NCD-RisC (NCD Risk Factor Collaboration). Trends in adult body-mass index in 200 countries from 1975 to 2014: a pooled analysis of 1698 population-based measurement studies with 19•2 million participants. Lancet 2016; 387: 1377–96.
4. Nansseu RJ, Noubiap JJ, Bigna JJ. Epidemiology of Overweight and Obesity in Adults Living in Cameroon: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Obesity (SilverSpring) 2019 ; 27(10): 1682-1692.
5.WHO. Obesity and overweight. 2003. https://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/media/en/gsfs_obesity.pdf. Accessed February 21, 2021
6. Mohamed AG, Ibrahim MRS, Elkhayat SE, El Dine SR. Natural Anti-Obesity Agents. Bull Fac Pharm Cairo Univ 2014; 1:1-16.
7. Pasquet P, Temgoua LS, Melaman-Sego F, Froment A, Rikong-Adie H. Prevalence of overweight and obesity for urban adults in Cameroon. Ann Hum Biol 2003; 30(5):551-62.
8. Marseglia L, Manti S, D’Angelo G, Nicotera A, Parisi E, Di Rosa G, Gitto E, et al. Oxidative Stress in Obesity: A Critical Component in Human Diseases. Int J Mol Sci 2015; 16: 378-400.
9. Berke ME, Morden EN. Medical management of obesity. Am Fam Physician 2000; 62(2): 419-26.
10. Kavita P, Sanjivani K, Lena B, Gerard EM, Lawrence JC. Nutraceutical Supplements for Weight Loss: A Systematic Review. Nutr Clin Pract 2011; 26: 539-552.
11. Kang GJ, Park C-Y. Anti-Obesity Drugs: A Review about Their Effects and Safety. Diabetes Metab J 2012; 36(1):13-25.
12. Albaugh VL, Abumrad NN. Surgical treatment of obesity [version 1; referees: 4 approved] F1000Research 2018, 7(F1000 Faculty Rev):617 (doi: 10.12688/f1000research.13515.1)
13. Patra S, S Nithya S, B Srinithya B, Meenakshi SM. Review of Medicinal Plants for Anti-Obesity Activity. Transl Biomed 2015; 6:3.
14. Kaveripakam SS, Adikay S, Retnasamy G. Anti-Obesity Efficacy of Roots of Stereospermum suaveolens in High Fat-Induced Obese Rats. J Young Pharm 2017; 9(2): 234-238.
15. Froelich S, Onegi B, Kakooko A, Siems K, Schubert C, Jenett-Siems K. Plants traditionally used against malaria: phytochemical and pharmacological investigation of Momordica foetida. Braz J Pharmacog 2007; 17(1): 01-07.
16. Osinubi AA, Enye LA, Adesiyun AE, Ajayi GO. Comparative effects of three herbs and standard hypoglycaemic agents on blood glucose in normoglycaemic, hyperglycaemic and alloxan-induced diabetic male rats. Am J Emerg Med 2008; 7(1): 5-11.
17. Nantia AE, Soh D, Choumessi TA, Ngum NNM, Chi HAN, Kenfack A. In vitro antioxidant property of the methanol extracts of the whole plant and fruit of Momordica foetida (Cucurbitaceae). Pharm Chem J 2018; 5(6): 117-125.
18. Stephens DN. Does the Lee Obesity Index Measure General Obesity? Physiol Behav 1980; 25: 313–315.
19. Singh KD, Kumar N, Sachan A, Lakhani P, Tutu S, Nath R, et al. Hypolipidaemic Effects of Gymnema Sylvestre on High Fat Diet Induced Dyslipidaemia in Wistar Rats. J Clin Diagn Res 2017; 11(5):1-5.
20. Nantia AE, Kada SA, Manfo TFP, Choumessi TA, Kewir TS, Tashi S, et al. Momordica Foetida (Cucurbitaceae). Extract Alleviates Parastar (Insecticide) -Induced Toxicity on Pancreatic and Duodenal ?-amylase Activity in Male Rats. J Chem Health Risks 2019; 9(2): 97-105.
21. Nku CO, Ikpi DE, Nna VU, Agiande GU. Altered Serum Lipid Profile in Albino Wistar Rats Following the Consumption of Cola nitidarubra (Kola nut). Aust J Basic & Appl Sci 2014; 8(13): 82-89.
22. Misra HP, Fridovich I. The Generation of Superoxide Radical During the Autoxidation of Hemoglobin. J Biol Chem 1972; 247: 6960–6962.
23. Ellman GL. Tissue Sulfhydryl Groups. Arch Biochem Biophys 1959; 82: 70-77.
24. Wilbur KM, Bernhein F, Shapiro OW.The Thiobarbituric Acid Reagent as a Test for the Oxidation of Unsaturated Fatty Acid by Various Agents. Arch Biochem Biophys 1949; 24:305–3013.
25. Gornall AG, Bardwill GS, David MM. Determination of serum protein by means of biuret reactions. J Biol Chem 1949; 177: 751–766.
26. Padmaja KT, Naidu BP, Kumar HNEG, Ganapathy S, Balaji M. Antiobesity Activity of Bauhinia purpurea Extract: Effect on Hormones and Lipid Profile in High Calorie Diet Induced Obese Rats. Adv Biosci Biotechnol 2014; 5: 861-873.
27. Adnyana KI, Sukandar YE, Yuniarto A, Finna S. Anti-Obesity Effect Of The Pomegranate Leaves Ethanol Extract (Punicagranatum l.) in High-Fat Diet Induced Mice. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014; 6: 626-631.
28. Hartog MGL, Feskens EJM, Hollman PCH, Katan MB, Kromhouy D. Dietary antioxidant ?avonoids and risk of coronary heart disease: the Zutphen Elderly Study. Lancet 1993; 342: 1007–1011.
29. Ansari JA, Uma B, Pillai KK, Haque SE. Effect of Rosuvastatin on Obesity-Induced Oxidative Stress. Indian J Exp Biol 2012; 50: 216-222.
30. Kim M-H, Lee E-J, Cheon J-M, Nam K-J, Oh T-H, Kim K-S. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of fermented red ginseng against high fat diet-induced hyperlipidemia in rats. Lab Anim Res 2016; 32(4):217-223.
31. Kumar V, Bhandari U, Tripathi, DC, Khanna G. Protective Effect Of Gymnema Sylvestre Ethanol Extract On High Fat Diet-Induced Obese Diabetic Wistar Rats. Indian J Pharm Sci 2014; 76(4): 315-322.
32. Wassmann S, Laufs U, Mu?ller K, Konkol C, Ahlbory K, Ba?umer TA, et al. Cellular Antioxidant Effects of Atorvastatin in vitro and in vivo. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2002; 22(2): 300-305.
33. Sezer DE, Sozmen YE, Nart D, Onat T. Effect of atorvastatin therapy on oxidantantioxidant status and atherosclerotic plaque formation. Vasc Health Risk Manag 2011; 7: 333–343.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.