THE IMPACT OF COVID-19 PANDEMIC TO HEAD AND NECK CANCER CARE IN HASAN SADIKIN HOSPITAL BANDUNG, INDONESIA
Objective: This study represents head and neck cancer patients care at Departement of Otorhinolaringology-Head and Neck Surgery (ORL-HNS) in Hasan Sadikin General Hospital during COVID-19 pandemic.
Methods: The study is done using a retrospective descriptive method based on medical record data in patients with head and neck cancer at Oncology Departement of ORL-HNS, Hasan Sadikin General Hospital, Bandung from March to July 2020.
Result: The number of outpatient visits at ORL-HNS Departement, Dr. Hasan Sadikin General Hospital Bandung from March to July was 3723 patients with 1796 of them are oncology outpatients. There was a significant decrease in the number of the ORL-HNS outpatient in April and May and began to increase steadily in June and July. This is in line with the start of the big scale social restriction at the end of March and the start of the ‘new normal’ era in early June.
Conclusion: The study demonstrates the significant impact of the COVID-19 crisis on oncological care. During COVID-19 pandemic, the treatment of HNC patients has been severely disrupted and caused decrease in the number of procedures at Dr. Hasan Sadikin General Hospital Bandung.
2. Ministry of Health. Laporan harian COVID 19 tanggal 26 September 2020. Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia; 2020.
3. de Joode K, Dumoulin D, Engelen V, Bloemendal H, Verheij M, van Laarhoven H, et al. Impact of the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic on cancer treatment: the patients’ perspective. 2020;136:132-9.
4. Gupta A, Arora V, Nair D, Agrawal N, Su Yx, Holsinger C, et al. Status and strategies for the management of head and neck cancer during COVID?19 pandemic: Indian Scenario. 2020.
5. WHO. Coronavirus disease (COVID 19) situation report-26 (23 September 2020). World Health Organization Indonesia; 2020.
6. Rumita S, Yuriska D, Fadillah F, Muda I. Factors Causing the Slow Procurement of PPE for Medical Officers in Hospitals in Corona Virus Eradication in Indonesia. 2020.
7. Perhati KL. Adaptasi Kebiasaan Baru Dalam Pelayanan T.H.T.K.L. di Era Pandemi COVID-19. 2020.
8. King T, Agulnik MJH, Neck. Head and neck cancer: changing epidemiology and public health implications. 2010;24(10).
9. Ruback MJC, Galbiatti AL, Arantes LMRB, Marucci GH, Russo A, Ruiz-Cintra MT, et al. Clinical and epidemiological characteristics of patients in the head and neck surgery department of a university hospital. 2012;130(5):307-13.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.