LONG TERM FOOD RESTRICTION AND DIABECON ADMINISTRATION AMELIORATES ALLOXAN INDUCED HYPERGLYCEMIA, THYROID DYSFUNCTION AND OXIDATIVE STRESS IN RAT.
The comparative effects of food restriction (FR), Diabecon treatment (DT) and their combined therapy (FR+DT) were studied in the regulation of alloxan induced diabetes mellitus, alterations in thyroid hormones (TH) and oxidative stress. Young diabetic rats were either kept on 50% FR and/or DT (2 gm /Kg body weight) for two months and then alterations in serum glucose, insulin, TH concentrations, hepatic glycogen and pancreatic antioxidants along with oxidative stress markers were evaluated. Significantly increased serum glucose, tissue stress markers with decreased TH, hepatic glycogen (P<0.0001 for all) and pancreatic antioxidants (P<0.05-0.001) were observed in diabetic rats. Rats kept on different therapies exhibited significant (P<0.05) improvements than diabetic rats in all studied parameters. FR+DT group showed significantly more decrease in serum glucose (P<0.05) that FR or DT group, while in other parameters improvement was found to be more or less equally improved in all treated groups. FR appeared to mimic the effects of Diabecon in most of the indices. However, FR+DT appear to be more effective. Possibly both therapies ameliorate diabetes and oxidative stress following some common metabolic pathways.
2. Pisarev MA. Inter-relationships between the pancreas and the thyroid. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 2010; 17:437-9.
3. Kahleova H, Matoulek M, Malinska H et al. Vegetarian diet improves insulin resistance and oxidative stress markers more than conventional diet in subjects with Type 2 diabetes. Diabet Med 2011; (5):549-59.
4. Parmar HS, Kar A. Antiperoxidative, Antithyroidal, Antihyperglycemic and Cardio-protective Role of Citrus sinensis Peel Extract in Male Mice. Phytotherapy Res 2008; 22:791–5.
5. Rains J L, Jain SK, Oxidative stress, insulin signaling, and diabetes. Free Rad Biol & Med 2011; 50:567–75.
6. Ajala O, English P, Pinkney. Systematic review and meta-analysis of different dietary approaches to the management of type 2 diabetes. J Am J Clin Nutr 2013; 97:505-16.
7. Karasu C. Glycoxidative Stress and Cardiovascular Complications in Experimentally- Induced Diabetes: Effects of Antioxidant Treatment. Open Cardiovas Med 2010; 4:240-56.
8. Panda S, Kar A. Periplogenin-3-O--D-glucopyranosyl (1?6)-D- glucopyaranosyl- (1?4) -D- Cymaropyranoside, Isolated from Aegle marmelos Protects Doxorubicin Induced Cardiovascular Problems and hepatotoxicity in Rats. Cardiovasc Therap 2009; 27:108–16.
9. Ogbonna SU, Ezeani IU, Okafor CI, Chinenye S. Association between glycemic status and thyroid dysfunction in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2019;12:1113-1122.
10. Mitra R, Mazumder PM, Sasmal D. Comparative evaluation of the efficacy of some Ayurvedic formulations in attenuating the progression of diabetic nephropathy. Pharmacologyonline, 2010; 1:709-17.
11. Agrawal J, Kar A, Panda S. Synergistic action of phytochemicals augments their antioxidative efficacy: an in vitro comparative study. Asian J pharmacy Clin Res 2013; 6:121-26
12. Singh J, Cumming E, Manoharan G et al. Medicinal Chemistry of the Anti-Diabetic Effects of Momordica Charantia: Active Constituents and Modes of Actions. Open Med Chem 2011; 5: 70-7.
13. Luvizotto RA, Conde SJ, Síbio MT et al. Administration of physiologic levels of triiodothyronine increases leptin expression in calorie-restricted obese rats, but does not influence weight loss. Metabolism 2010; 59:1-6.
14. Gutierrez RMP, Guzman MD. Meliacinolin: A Potent ?-Glucosidase and ?-Amylase Inhibitor Isolated from Azadirachta indica Leaves and in Vivo Antidiabetic Property in Streptozotocin-Nicotinamide-Induced Type 2 Diabetes in Mice. J Biol Pharmac Bull 2012; 35:1516-24.
15. Kalra S, Aggarwal S, Khandelwal D. Thyroid Dysfunction and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Screening Strategies and Implications for Management. Diabetes Ther. 2019;10(6):2035-2044.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.