IN VITRO CYTOTOXICITY AND ANTIMICROBIAL EFFICACY OF THEVETIA PERUVIANA SEED KERNEL EXTRACTS
Objective: Whole plant and various parts of Thevetia peruviana were reported to possess several pharmacological properties, due to the vast array of secondary metabolites. The present investigation was carried out to illustrate the cytotoxic and antimicrobial properties of seed kernel extracts on two tumor cell lines and various human skin-pathogenic microbes.
Methods: Cold methanol extracts and successive soxhlet fractions of seed samples were incubated with tumor cell lines in vitro for 3 h at 37 oC, and cell viability was assessed by trypan blue exclusion method. Antimicrobial efficacy was detected by well diffusion protocol against five bacterial strains and two fungal strains at varying concentrations ranging from 10-0.025 mg/6 mm wells, using different fractions from three color variants.
Results: Of the evaluated samples, cold extract of seed kernels has potent cytotoxicity, with IC50 values 0.458 and 0.522 mg/ml on both cell lines than soxhleted ethyl acetate (EA) fractions (0.851 and 0.712 mg/ml). Antimicrobial efficacy against Pseudomonas aeruginosa (18.67Â±1.15 mm), Nocardia asteroids (15.00Â±0.00) and Candida albicans (14.33Â±0.58) strains were effective for EA (10 mg/well) than chloroform (CH) and methanol (MT) fractions, but lower concentrations of CH fractions showed higher sensitivity against C. albicans.
Conclusion: Cytotoxic properties of seed kernels could be utilized against various human cancer cell lines to reduce tumor growth, and the bactericidal and fungicidal efficacy would be helpful in eradicating some common human skin infectious pathogenic microbes.
2. Adhvaryu MR, Reddy N, Parabia MH. Antitumor activity of four ayurvedic herbs in dalton lymphoma ascites bearing mice and their short-term in vitro cytotoxicity on DLA-Cell-Line. Afr J Tradit Complementary Altern Med 2008;5:409-18.
3. Asirvatham R, Christina AJM. Anticancer activity of Drosera indica L. on daltonâ€™s lymphoma ascites (DLA) bearing mice. J Intercultural Ethnopharmacol 2013;2:9-14.
4. Jayaseelan RS, Vijayan FP, Mathesvaran M, Suresh V, Padikkala J. Cytotoxic and antitumor activity of methanolic extracts Desmodium triangulare (retz) merr. Root Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:540-2.
5. Hanafy ZE. Ginger extract antimutagens as cancer chemopreventive agent against ehrlich ascites carcinoma. Acad J Cancer Res 2009;2:61-7.
6. Sini KR, Haribabu Y, Sajith MS, Sreekumar SK. The in-vitro cytotoxic activity of (Orthosiphon thymiflorus Roth.) sleensen leaf extract against dalton lymphoma ascites cell line. J Chem Pharm Res 2012;4:917-21.
7. Li H, Zhou H, Wang D, Qiu J, Zhou Y, Li X, et al. Versatile pathway-centric approach based on high-throughput sequencing to anticancer drug discovery; 2012. Available from: www.pnas. org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1200305109. [Last accessed on 10 Feb 2015].
8. Mijatovic T, Quaquebeke EV, Delest B, Debeir O, Darro F, Kiss R. Cardiotonic steroids on the road to anti-cancer therapy. Biochim Biophys Acta 2007;1776:32-57.
9. Prassas I, Diamandis EP. Novel Therapeutic applications of cardiac glycosides. Nat Rev Drug Discovery 2008;7:926-35.
10. Mc Laughlin JL, Freedman B, Powell RG, Smith Jr CR. Neriifolin and 2'-acetylneriifolin: insecticidal and cytotoxic agents of Thevetia thevetioides seeds. J Econ Entomol 1980;73:398-402.
11. Hassan MM, Saha AK, Khan SA, Islam A, Zaman MMU, Ahmed SSU. Studies on the antidiarrhoeal, antimicrobial and cytotoxic activities of ethanol extracted leaves of yellow oleander (Thevetia peruviana). Open Vet Sci J 2011;1:28-31.
12. Kirtikar KR, Basu BD, An CIC. Indian medicinal plants. Vol. II. Dehra Dun: Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh; 1980.
13. Udayan PS, Balachandran I. Medicinal plants of arya vaidya sala, Kottakkal, Kerala: Department of Publications, Arya Vaidya Sala; 2009.
14. Harborne JB. Phytochemical methods: a guide to modern techniques of plant analysis. 3rd Edn. New Delhi: Springer (India) private Ltd; 1973.
15. Talwar GP. Handbook of practical immunology. New Delhi: National Book Trust; 1974. p. 336-9.
16. Navarro V, Villarreal ML, Rogas G, Lozoya X. Antimicrobial evaluation of some plants used in Mexican traditional medicine for the treatment of infectious diseases. J Ethnopharmacol 1996;53:143-7.
17. Ifeoma O, Oluwakanyinsola S. Chapter 4. Screening of herbal medicines for potential toxicities. In: New Insights into Toxicity and Drug Testing; 2013. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/ 10.5772/54493. [Last accessed on 10 Feb 2015].
18. Hartwell JL. Plants used against cancer: a survey. Lloydia 1967;30:379-436.
19. Kumar A, De T, Mishra A, Mishra AK. Oleandrin: a cardiac glycoside with potent cytotoxicity. Pharmacogn Rev 2013;7:131-9.
20. Decosterd L, Gustafson KR, Cardellina JH, Cragg GM, Boyd MR. The differential cytotoxicity of cardenolides from Thevetia ahouia. Phytother Res 1994;8:74-7.
21. Kareru PG, Keriko JM, Kenji GM, Thiongo GT, Gachanja AN, Mukiira HN. Antimicrobial activities of skincare preparations from plant extracts. Afr J Tradit Complementary Altern Med 2010;7:214-8.
22. Gordon MC, David JN. Natural product drug discovery in the next millennium. Pharm Biol 2001;39:8-17.
23. Hammuel C, Abdullahi MS, Mankilik M, Anyim BP, Adesina OB, Inekwe UV, et al. The phytochemical and antimicrobial activities of oil from the seed of Thevetia peruviana plant. Appl Environ Biol Sci 2011;1:597-601.
24. Panigrahi A, Raut SK. Thevetia peruviana (Family: Apocynaceae) in the control of slug and snail pests. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 1994;89:247-50.
25. Bai H, Koshy G. Juvenomimetic activity of extracts of Thevetia neriifolia Juss to Dysdercus cingulatus F. (Hemiptera: Pyrrhocoreidea). J Trop Agric 2004;42:45-7.
26. Ravikumar Patil HS, Makari HK, Gurumurthy H. In vitro antimicrobial activity of ethanol extract of Thevetia peruviana. EJEAFChe Electron J Environ Agric Food Chem 2007;6:2318-22.
27. Nesy EA, Lizzy Mathew. Studies on antimicrobial and antioxidant efficacy of Thevetia neriifolia, Juss leaf extracts against human skin pathogens. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2014;6:164-8.
28. Nesy EA, Jolly CI, Lizzy Mathew. Assessment of in vitro antimicrobial and antioxidant potential of Thevetia neriifolia, Juss. flower morphoforms. IOSR J Pharm Biol Sci 2014;9:11-6.
29. Nesy EA, Lizzy Mathew. A comparative evaluation of antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of Thevetia neriifolia, juss fruit rind extracts. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2014;6:47-50.