DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF RP-HPLC METHOD FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF TAPENTADOL HCL, ACECLOFENAC AND PARACETAMOL IN TERNARY MIXTURE
Objective: To develop a accurate, precise and specific RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of Tapentadol HCl (TAP), Aceclofenac (ACE) and Paracetamol (PCM) in its laboratory synthetic mixture.
Methods: The optimized method uses C8 Thermo quest, hypersil division, 250*4.60 mm; 5 Î¼ column, mobile phase consisting of phosphate buffer (pH 3) and acetonitrile in the ratio of 40:60, flow rate 0.8 ml/min. The detection wavelength was set at 217 nm.
Results: The developed method resulted Paracetamol, Tapentadol HCl and Aceclofenac in eluting at 4.008 min 4.595 min and 6.073 min respectively. Linearity was observed over the concentration range of 52-130 Âµg/ml for PCM, 16-40 Âµg/ml forACE and 12-30 Âµg/ml forTAP. The percentage recovery was found to be in the range of 98-102% at three different levels of a standard addition. The precision (intra-day, inter-day) of the method was within the limit (RSD<2%).
Conclusion: The proposed method was found to be accurate, precise, reproducible and specific and it can be used for qualitative and quantitative determination of Tapentadol HCl, Aceclofenac and Paracetamol in their combined dosage form in the pharmaceutical industry.
2. Craig RC, Stitzel RE. Modern pharmacology with clini-cal application. 8th ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins Publication; 2004. p. 314.
3. Wade WE, Spruill WJ. Tapentadol hydrochloride: A centrally acting oral analgesic. Clin Ther 2009;31(12):2804-18.
4. Thompson CA. Tapentadol approved as pain reliever. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2009;66(1):8.
5. Budhwari S. The Merck Index. 13th Ed. Merck Research Laboratories, Whitehouse Station: New Jersey; 2001.
6. Mobrouk MM, El-Fatatry HM, Hammad SF, Mohamed AA. Spectrophotometric Methods for Determination of Tapentadol Hydrochloride. J Appl Pharm Sci 2013;3(3):122-5.
7. Babu BS, Pavan KK, Nataraj K, Ramakrishna N. Development and validation of UV-Visible spectrophotometric method for the determination of Tapentadol hydrochloride from tablet dosage form. Pharm Lett 2013;5(2):377-82.
8. Singh PK, Dinda SC. Development and validation of a stability indicating RP-HPLC method for determination of tapentadol in tapentadol hydrochloride tablets. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2013;3(2):123-32.
9. Gandhi J, Shah NJ, Lumbhani AN. Simple, Rapid and cost effective method for routine analysis of tapentadol hydrochloride: a novel analgesic drug in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form By RPâ€“HPLC. Int J Pharm Sci 2012;3(4):2440-53.
10. Marathe GM, Patil PO, Patil DA, Patil GB, Bari SB. Stability Indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of tapentadol in bulk and in pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Chem Tech Res 2013;5(1):34-41.
11. Muzib YI, Reddy JRK, Chowdary KPR, Swathi E. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of Tapentadol hydrochloride in bulk and tablet dosage forms. Int J Chem Anal Sci 2013;4(2):67â€“72.
12. Goud ESK, Reddy VK. RP-HPLC determination of related substances of tapentadol in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharma Bio Sci 2012;2(3):1-9.
13. Shah R, Magdum C, Patil SK, Chougule DK, Naikwade N. Validated spectroscopic method for estimation of aceclofenac from tablet formulation. Res J Pharm Tech 2008;1(4):430-2.
14. Paul K, Nagarajan JSK, Chandan RS. Standardization of RP-HPLC method for the estimation of aceclofenac in dosage form. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2011;1(4):853-9.
15. Sharma S, Pareek A, Joshi R, Bhardwaj YR, Jain V, Jadon G. Development and validation of A UV spectroscopic method for analysis of paracetamol in bulk powder and tablet. Orient J Chem 2013;29(2):787-92.
16. Devi TAP, Setti A, Srikanth S, Nallapeta S, Pawar SC, Rao JV. Method development and validation of paracetamol drug by RP-HPLC. J Med Allied Sci 2013;3(1):8-14.
17. Vinnakota SNA, Deveswaran R, Marabathuni VJ, Bharath S, Basavaraj BV, Madhavan V. Simultaneous estimation and validation of aceclofenac and paracetamol from bulk and tablets using mixed hydrotropic solubilisation. Asian J Biochem Pharm Res 2011;1(1):19-24.
18. Momin MY, Yeole PG, Puranik MP, Wadher SJ. Reverse phase HPLC method for determination of aceclofenac and paracetamol in tablet dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci 2006;68(3):387-9.
19. Gururaj M, Snehalatha L, Yogananda R, Basavaraja HS, Varma LS, Bharathi DR. Simultaneous estimation of aceclofenac and paracetamol orodispersible tablets by spectrophotometric method. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;1:1309-15.
20. Gharge D, Dhabale P. Simultaneous estimation of aceclofenac and paracetamol in solid dosage form by RP-HPLC method. Int J Chem Tech Res 2010;2(2):942-6.
21. Khokhar V, Shah RM. Simultaneous estimation of paracetamol and tapentadol in combined dosage form by derivative method. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;4(5):1777-81.
22. Ramanaiah G, Ramachandran D, Srinivas G, Jayapal G, Rao P, Srilakshmi V. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-LC method for simultaneous estimation of tapentadol and paracetamol in bulk and its pharmaceutical formulations. Int J Chem Anal Sci 2012;4(7):391-6.
23. International conference on harmonization of technical requirements for registration of pharmaceuticals for human use. Validation of analytical procedures: Text and Methodology, ICH Q2 (R1); 2005.
24. http://www.orbitlifescience.com/pdf/pain_ortho.pdf [Last accessed on 20 Mar 2015].
25. http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed [Last accessed on 20 Mar 2015].
26. Rowe RC, Sheskey PJ. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients. 5th ed. Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. London: UK; 2006.
27. Lachman L, Lieberman HA. The Theory & Practice of Industrial Pharmacy. CBS publishers and Distributors PVT. Ltd; 2009.