A BIOGENIC APPROACH FOR THE SYNTHESIS AND CHARACTERIZATION OF ZINC OXIDE NANOPARTICLES PRODUCED BY TINOSPORA CORDIFOLIA
Objective: The study mainly focuses on the preparation and characterization of Zinc oxide nanoparticles using an aqueous stem extract of Tinospora cordifolia.
Methods: Zinc Oxide nanoparticles were synthesized by a biological method using the stem extract of Tinospora cordifolia using Zinc acetate dehydrate in the presence of Sodium hydroxide. The synthesized Zinc Oxide nanoparticles were characterized using Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Energy Dispersive X-ray analysis (EDX) and Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR).
Results: SEM results reveal that the shape of Zinc oxide nanoparticles was spherical and the average size ranges from 37-42 nm. EDX analysis provides the elemental composition of Zinc and oxygen present in the ZnO nanoparticles. The weight percentage of Zinc, oxygen and carbon was found to be 62.45, 28.82 and 7.51 respectively. Chemical bond formations were confirmed by using FTIR analysis.
Conclusion: Thus the study suggests that Tinospora cordifolia can be used for the synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles in a simple, cost effective and an eco friendly way. It can also serve as an alternative to conventional chemical method.
2. Amir HF, Peter W. Nanoparticles in cellular drug delivery. Bioorg Med Chem 2009;17:2950-62.
3. Mishra V, Richa S, Nakuleshawar DJ, Deepak KG. A review on green synthesis of nanoparticles and evaluation of antimicrobial activity. Int J Green Herb Chem 2014;3:81-94.
4. Matthew AA, Cameron WE, Colin LR. Green chemistry and the health implications of nanoparticles. Green Chem 2006;8:417-32.
5. Moghaddam AB, Nazari T, Jalil B, Mahmood K. Synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles and electrodeposition of polypyrrole/ZnO nanocomposite film. Int J Electrochem Sci 2009;4:247-57.
6. Raj LFAA, Jayalakshmy E. Biosynthesis and characterization of zinc oxide nanoparticles using root extract of Zingiber officinale. Orient J Chem 2015;31:51-6.
7. Sangeetha G, Rajeshwari S, Rajendran V. Green synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles by aloe barbadensis miller leaf extract: Structure and optical properties. Mater Res Bull 2011;46:2560â€“6.
8. Geoprincy G, Vidhya srri BN, Poonguzhali U, Nagendra NG, Renganathan S. A review on green synthesis of silver nanoparticles. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;6:8-12.
9. Priya B, Mantosh S, Aniruddha M, Papita D. Leaf extract mediated green synthesis of silver nanoparticles from widely available Indian plants: synthesis, characterization, antimicrobial property and toxicity analysis. Bioresources Bioprocessing 2014;1:1-10.
10. Garima S, Riju B, Kunal K, Ashish RS, Rajendra PS. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Ocimum sanctum (Tulsi) leaf extract and screening its antimicrobial activity. J Nanopart Res 2011;13:2981â€“8.
11. Sangeetha G, Rajeshwari S, Venckatesh R. Green synthesized ZnO nanoparticles against bacterial and fungal pathogens. Prog Nat Sci: Mater Int 2012;22:693-700.
12. Nel A, Xia T, Lutz M, Li N. Toxic potential of materials at the nanolevel. Science 2006;311:622-7.
13. Wu D, Chen Z, Kangrong C, Dongling Z, Chen J, Jiang B. Investigation into the antibacterial activity of monodisperse BSA-conjugated zinc oxide nanoparticles. Curr Appl Phys 2014;14:1470-5.
14. Xie Y, He Y, Peter LI, Jin T, Shi X. Antibacterial activity and mechanism of action against Campylobacter jejuni. Appl Environ Microbiol 2011;77:2325-231.
15. Haritha M, Meena V, Seema CC, Srinivasa RB. Synthesis and characterization of zinc oxide nanoparticles and its antimicrobial activity against Bacillus subtilis and Escherichia coli. Rasayan J Chem 2011;4:217-22.
16. Vanath P, Rajiva P, Narendhran S, Rajeshwari S, Rahman PKSM, Venckatesh R. Biosynthesis and characterization of phyto mediated zinc oxide nanoparticles: A green chemistry approach. Mater Lett 2014;134:13â€“5.
17. Senthilkumar SR, Sivakumar T. Green tea (Camellia sinensis) mediated synthesis of zinc oxide (ZNO) nanoparticles and studies on their antimicrobial activities. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:461-5.
18. Sarma DNK, Sameksha K, Khosa RL. Alkaloids from Tinospora cordifolia miers. J Pharm Sci Res 2009;1:26-7.
19. Singh SS, Pandey SC, Srivastava S, Gupta VS, Patro B, Ghosh AC. Chemistry and Medicinal Properties of Tinospora Cordifolia (Guduchi). Indian J Pharmacol 2003;35:83-91.
20. Pandey M, Surendra K, Chikara, Manoj KV, Rohit S, Thakur SG, et al. Tinospora cordifolia: A climbing shrub in health care management. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2012;3:612â€“28.
21. Shanthi V, Nelson R. Anitbacterial activity of Tinospora cordifolia (Willd) Hook. F. Thomson urinary tract pathogens. Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci 2013;2:190-4.
22. Sankhala LH, Saini RK, Saini BS. A review on chemical and biological properties of Tinospora cordifolia. Int J Med Aromat Plants 2012;2:340-4.
23. Samir AA, Kalpesh BI. Plant mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using dried stem powder of Tinospora cordifolia, its antibacterial activity and comparison with antibiotics. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2013;4:849-63.
24. Gnanasangeetha D, Sarala Thambavani D. Biogenic production of zinc oxide nanoparticles using acalypha indica. J Chem Biol Phys Sci 2014;4:238-46.
25. Hasna AS, Rajeshwari S, Venckatesh R. Green synthesis and characterization of zinc oxide nanoparticles from Ocimum basilicum L. var. purpurascens Benth.-Lamiaceae leaf extract. Mater Lett 2014;131:16-8.