SAXAGLIPTIN LEVELS AND ITS PHARMACOKINETIC APPLICATION IN PRESENCE OF SUCRALOSE IN ANIMALS SERUM BY HPLC METHOD
Objective: It is to develop a simple, valid and rapid chromatographic method for quantification of saxagliptin in rats serum in order to study saxagliptin pharmacokinetics parameters in sucralose fed rats simultaneously to detect any interaction possibility between saxagliptin and sucralose in rats.
Methods: In our developed method of analysis, mobile phase was consisted of phosphate buffer (pH =4) and methanol (70:30) v/v at flow rate of 1 ml/min with UV detection at 230 nm., C8 column of separation was used with the temperature of 40 Â°C using injection volume of 50 Âµl, samples run time was 10 min, and sildenafil citrate was used as internal standard. Saxagliptin was given to rats orally of (2g/kg) dose while sucralose was given with (11 mg/kg/day) dose.
Results: A successful HPLC method was validated and developed to determine saxagliptin in rats serum, overall intra-day precision and accuracy were reasonable with coefficient of variation percentage CV % values range (o.14-4.03) and accuracy % range (99.5-104), while inter-day precision and accuracy showed accepted precision with CV% range (0.15-2.81) and accuracy % range (99.9-116). The coefficient of correlation was 0.99949 with reasonable sensitivity and selectivity. Combination effect of saxagliptin with sucralose on saxagliptin serum profile was demonstrated as strong statistical effect according to Cohenâ€™s d and significant P values too.
Conclusion: A successful HPLC method was validated and developed to quantify saxagliptin in rats serum, combination effect of saxagliptin with sucralose over all time intervals of saxagliptin serum profile was demonstrated as strong statistical effect.
2. Borja-Hart N, Whalen K. Saxagliptin: a new dipeptidyl peptidase 4 inhibitor for type 2 diabetes. Ann Pharmacother 2010;44:1053-46.
3. Gao J, Yuan Y, Lu Y, Yao M. Development of a rapid UPLC-MS/MS method for quantification of saxagliptin in rat plasma and application to pharmacokinetic study. Biomed Chromatogr 2012;26:1487-2.
4. Su H, Boulton D, Barros A, Wang L, Cao K, Bonacorsi S, et al. Characterization of the in vitro and in vivo metabolism and disposition and cytochrome P450 Inhibition/Induction profile of saxagliptin in human. Drug Metab Dispos 2012;40:1356-45.
5. Mohammad M, Elkady E, Fouad M. Development and validation of a reversed-phase column liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous determination of two novel gliptins in their binary mixtures with Metformin. Eur J Chem 2012;3:155-2.
6. Abdel-Ghany M, Abdel-Aziz O, Ayad M, Tadros M. Stability-indicating liquid chromatographic method for determination of saxagliptin and structure elucidation of the major degradation products using LC-MS. J Chromatogr Sci 2014;53:554-44.
7. Evans M. Review: Saxagliptin: a review. Br J Diabetes Vasc Dis 2010;10:20-14.
8. Neumiller J, Campbell R. Saxagliptin: a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2010;67:1525-15.
9. Boulton D, Tang A, Patel C, Castaneda L, Frevert U, Li L, et al. P0586 A comparison of the single-dose pharmacokinetics and safety of saxagliptin in subjects with hepatic impairment and in healthy subject. J Case Reports Internal Med 2009;20:S194.
10. Kumar Arora M. Combination of PPAR-Î± agonist and DPP-4 Inhibitor: a novel therapeutic approach in the management of diabetic nephropathy. J Diabetes Metab Disord 2013. doi: 10.4172/2155-6156.1000320. [Article in Press]
11. Mann S, Yuschak M, Amyes S, Aughton P, Finn J. A combined chronic toxicity/carcinogenicity study of sucralose in Spragueâ€“Dawley rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2000;38:89-71.â€
12. Schiffman S, Rother K. Sucralose, A synthetic organochlorine sweetener: overview of biological issues. J Toxicol Environ Health Part B 2013;16:451-399.â€
13. Abou-Donia M, El-Masry E, Abdel-Rahman A, McLendon R, Schiffman S. Splenda alters gut microflora and increases intestinal p-glycoprotein and cytochrome P-450 in male rats. J Toxicol Environ Health Part A 2008;71:1429-15.
14. Tanis S, Parker T, Colca J, Fisher R, Kletzein R. ChemInform abstract: synthesis and biological activity of metabolites of the antidiabetic, antihyperglycemic agent pioglitazone. ChemInform 1997;28. doi: 10.1002/chin.199716163. [Article in Press]
15. Scheen A. Pharmacokinetic interactions with thiazolidine diones. Clin Pharmacokinet 2007;46:12-1.â€
16. Yoshida H, Morita I, Masujima T, Imai H. A direct injection method of plasma samples onto a reverse phase column for the determination of drugs. Chem Pharm Bull 1982;30:2290-87.â€
17. Matsubara T. Isolation and characterization of a new major intestinal CYP3A Form, CYP3A62, in the rat. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2004;309:1290-82.â€
18. Xu X, Demers R, Gu H, Christopher L, Su H, Cojocaru L, et al. Liquid chromatography and tandem mass spectrometry method for the quantitative determination of saxagliptin and its major pharmacologically active 5-monohydroxy metabolite in human plasma: Method validation and overcoming specific and non-specific binding at low concentrations. J Chromatogr B 2012:86-77.