LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHIC QUANTIFICATION OF TERNARY MIXTURE OF ANTI-VIRAL DRUGS AND APPLICATION TO ASSESSMENT OF THEIR TABLET DOSAGE FORM
Objective: To establish a validated liquid chromatographic method for the quantification of Tenfovir disoproxil fumarate (TENO), Lamivudine (LAM) and Nevirapine (NEV) in ternary combination and in its tablet dosage form.
Methods: The three drugs were well resolved using ODS C18 column (250 x 4.6 mm, 5Î¼m) with a mobile phase consisting of phosphate buffer, pH 3.0-acetonitrile (60:40, v/v) with a flow rate of 1.0 mL/min at UV detection wavelength 252 nm. The developed method was validated as per ICH guidelines.
Results: The response was a linear function of analyte concentration over the concentration range of 45-105 Âµg/ml for tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, lamivudine and between 30-70 Âµg/ml for nevirapine with a correlation coefficient>0.9997. The % RSD values of precision and accuracy studies were found to be less than 2.
Conclusion: The proposed method was validated as per standard guidelines. The results obtained from assay values were in good agreement with the labeled amount of the marketed tablet dosage form RICOVIR-LN. The method holds promise for routine quality control of this ternary combination in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations.
2. Goodman AG, Gilman LS. The pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 9th ed. Hardman, Limbird JG, LE, Eds. McGraw-Hill Companies, Hightstown, NJ; 1996.
3. Lanka A, Prasad S. New stability indicating a method for simultaneous quantification of related impurities of Lamivudine, Tenofovir, and Nevirapine in extended release tablet dosage forms. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:103-8.
4. Ashok G, Jahnavi B. Method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of Lamivudine and Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in pharmaceutical dosage forms by RP-HPLC. Int J Adv Res Pharm Bio Sci 2013;2:22-32.
5. Sonawane PH, Panzade PS, Kale MA. Simultaneous estimation of lamivudine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in bulk and combined pharmaceutical dosage form by HPLC method. Asian J Biomed Pharm Sci 2013;3:27-30.
6. Chandra P, Rathore AS, Mahadik KR. Application of the high-performance thin-layer chromatographic method for the simultaneous determination of Lamivudine and Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in pharmaceutical dosage form. J Chil Chem Soc 2011;56:702-5.
7. Padma A, Raghuveer P, Swaroopa K, Shravani O. A validated RP-HPLC method for estimation of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate in tablet dosage form and its stress degradation studies. Asian Pharma Press 2011;4:4426.
8. Shweta H, Sunil R. Development and validation of a stability-indicating LC method for the determination of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in a pharmaceutical formulation. Songklanakarin J Sci Technol 2012;34:615-22.
9. Tripti S, Neelam M, Swapank M, Sankar G. A validated RP-HPLC method for estimation of Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:108-10.
10. Jayaseelan S, Suresh S, Sathishkumar G, Sekar V, Perumal P. Bioanalytical method development and validation of Lamivudine by RP-HPLC method. Int J ChemTech Res 2010;2:163-7.
11. Akhilesh V, Singha A. Development and validation of analytical method for the estimation of Lamivudine in rabbit plasma. J Pharm Anal 2011;1:251-7.
12. Prasada Rao CH, Channabasavaraj KP, Lakshmi Aswini G. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the estimation of Nevirapine in bulk drug and tablets. J Pharm Sci Res 2009;1:78-82.
13. Sindhu Reddy M, Ramya Tulasi G, Neeharika G, Swetha M, Agilandeswari D, Dabhi Harshkumar D. Method development and validation of Neverapine by RP-HPLC. Pharm Innovation 2012;1:8-13.
14. Mandloi DK, Rai VK, Dey S, Tyagi PK, Ashada RK, Mohanraj P, e. Method development and validation of RP-HPLC method in the detection of Nevirapine in bulk drug and tablet formulation and application to in-vitro dissolution study. J Glob Pharm Tech 2009;1:54-61.
15. International Conference on Harmonization. Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodolgy ICH Q2B (R1); 2005.
16. Alapati VR, Divya TG, Sunitha G, Rajesh CH, Vamshikrishna L, Panikumar AD. Validated stability indicating a liquid chromatographic method for quantification of Ciprofloxacin HCl, its related substance, and tinidazole in tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:611-5.
17. Venkata RY, Sunitha G, Ashish KP, Haripriya A, Sirisha N, Panikumar AD. Validated stability indicating the analytical method and in-vitro dissolution studies of Efavirenz formulation by RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:572-6.
18. Senthilkumar KR, Meyyanathan SN, Gowramma B. A new validated chiral RP-HPLC method for the determination of stability of Mebeverine enantiomers in the presence of its degradation products. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:112-6.