A NEW METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION FOR ESTIMATION OF PARACETAMOL IN PHARMACEUTICAL DOSAGE FORM BY REVERSE PHASE-HIGH PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY
Objective: An accurate, simple, reproducible and sensitive method for the determination of paracetamol in pharmaceutical dosage form was developed and validated using a reversed-phase C18 column (250 mm X 4.6 mm i. d, 5 Âµm particle size) with isocratic elution.
Methods: A mixture of Acetonitrile: 10 mM potassium dihydrogen orthophosphate buffer (15:85 v/v), pH 2.5 was used as a mobile phase at the flow rate of 1.0 ml/min and detector wavelength at 210 nm. The retention time of paracetamol was found to be 5.7 minutes (min). The method was statistically validated for the linearity, accuracy, precision and robustness.
Results: The linearity of paracetamol was in the range of 25.00 to 60.00Âµg/ml. This method showed an excellent linear response with the correlation coefficient (R2) value of 0.999 for the paracetamol. The recovery of the drug was ranged from 99.51 to 100.68%. An intra-day and inter-day precision study of the new method was less than the maximum allowable limit (% RSD<2.0).
Conclusion: The proposed method was cost effective, which can be used for the estimation of paracetamol in bulk and in solid dosage forms.
2. Karunakaran K, Navaneethan G, Elango KP. Development and validation of a stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of Paracetamol, Tramadol HCl and domperidone in combined dosage form. Trop J Pharm Res 2012;11(1):99-106.
3. Bale JR, Nicholson JK, Sadler PJ. Two-dimensional proton nuclear magnetic resonance "maps" of acetaminophen metabolites in human urine. Clin Chem 1985;31(5):757â€“62.
4. Hinz B, Cheremina O, Brune K. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) is a selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor in man. FASEB J 2008;22:383â€“90.
5. Anderson BJ. Paracetamol (acetaminophen): mechanisms of action. Pediatr Anesth 2008;18:915â€“21.
6. Chandra R, Verma D, Sharma KD, Kumar S, Naushad Alam MD, Singh S. Comparitive quantitative determination of paracetamol By RP-HPLC and UV-Spectrophotometry from its formulated tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5(3):863-5.
7. Gowramma B, Rajan S, Murulidharan S, Meyyanathan SN, Suresh B. A Validated RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of paracetamol and diclofenac potassium in pharmaceutical formulation. Int J Chem Tech Res 2010;2(1):676-80.
8. Momin MY, Yeole PG, Puranik MP, Wadher SJ. Reverse phase HPLC method for determination of aceclofenac and paracetamol in tablet dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci 2006;68(3):387-9.
9. Phazna Devi TA, Setti A, Srikanth S, Nallapeta S, Pawar SC, Rao JV. Method development and validation of paracetamol drug by RP-HPLC. J Med Allied Sci 2013;3(1):8-14.
10. Shah DA, Rana JP, Chhalotiya UK, Baldania SL, Bhatt KK. Development and validation of a liquid chromatographic method for estimation of dicyclomine hydrochloride, mefenamic acid and paracetamol in tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 2014;76(6):529-34.
11. Pawar UD, Naik AV, Sulebhavikar AV, Datar TA, Mangaonkar KV. Simultaneous determination of aceclofenac, Paracetamol and chlorzoxazone by HPLC in tablet dose. E J Chem 2009;6(1):289-94.
12. International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirement for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human use, Validation of Analytical Procedure: Text and Methodology, Q2 (R1), Geneva, Switzerland; 2005.
13. Nimila IC, Balan P, Chiranjeevi N, Kumar VVM. Development and validation of a reverse phase HPLC method of simultaneous estimation of tolperisone hydrochloride and paracetamol in tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4(5):84-8