PHARMACOGNOSTIC STUDIES AND HPTLC FINGERPRINTING OF BLUMEA ERIANTHA DC (ASTERACEAE) LEAVES
Objective: To study the pharamacognostic, morphological, microscopical characters of leaves of Blumea eriantha DC also to carry out the chemical analysis of its leaf powder and establish the chromatographic fingerprint.
Methods: Anatomical investigations and fluorescence analysis were carried out as per the standard techniques. Various quantitative parameters like ash values, extractive values and moisture content can be used as quality control parameters for B. eriantha were determined. The air dried leaf powder was extracted with methanol and fingerprinting pattern was developed by using High Performance Thin Layer Chromatography (HPTLC) technique.
Results: The epidermal study of leaves revealed several stalked glandular trichomes and multicellular uniseriate trichomes on both the epidermis of the leaves. Fluorescence analysis of leaves powder of B. eriantha revealed a range of colours from dark green to brownish black under short Ultra Violet (UV) light. The HPTLC fingerprint of methanolic extract of B. eriantha leaves showed six well resolved components.
Conclusion: The pharamacognostic studies carried out for Blumea eriantha DC and presented here provide referential information for the identification of this crude drug and will also help in distinguishing it from its adulterants.
2. The Wealth of India. A dictionary of indian raw materials and industrial products. Vol. II (Revised). New Delhi: Publication and Informative Directorate, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research; 1988.
3. World Health Organization. Quality control methods for medicinal plant materials. Geneva: WHO Library; 1998. p. 1-115.
4. Khasim SM. Botanical Microtechnique: Principles and Practice. New Delhi: Capital Publishing Company; 2002.
5. Kokate CK. Practical Pharmacognosy. 4th ed. New Delhi: Vallabh Prakashan; 2003. p. 122-6.
6. Lala PK. Lab Manuals of Pharmacognosy. 5th ed. Kolkata: CSI Publishers and Distributors; 1993.
7. African Pharmacopoeia. General Methods for Analysis. 1, 2 ed. (OAU/STRC) Lagos; 1986. p. 123.