ANTIPYRETIC ACTIVITY OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF LEAF AND BARK OF DIOSPYROS VIRGINIANA IN YEAST INDUCED PYREXIA
Objective: To evaluate the antipyretic effect of the ethanolic extract of leaf and bark of Diospyros virginiana Linn against brewer yeast induced pyrexia model in albino rats of both sexes was investigated.
Methods: The Pyrexia was induced by subcutaneously injecting 20% w/v brewer's yeast suspension (10 ml/kg) into the animals. After the injection, the rectal temperature of each rat was measured. Paracetamol (150 mg/kg) was used as the standard drug.
Results: The results showed that the ethanol extracts of leaf of Diospyros virginiana possessed significant antipyretic effect compared to the bark extract.
Conclusion: This study provides evidences for the antipyretic activity of Diospyros virginiana which could partly contribute to its ethno medical use.
2. Duraisankar M, Ravichandran V. Antipyretic potential of polyherbal ayurvedic products. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:146â€“50.
3. Harborne JB. Phytochemical methods. A guide to modern techniques of plant analysis. 2nd ed. Chapman and Hall; New York: 1983. p. 59-68.
4. Santos FA, Rao VS. A study of the anti-pyretic effect of quinine, an alkaloid effective against cerebral malaria, on fever induced by bacterial endotoxin and yeast in rats. J Pharm Pharmacol 1998;50:225-9.
5. Briand CH. The common persimmon (Diospyros virginaiana L.) the history of an underutilized fruit tree. Huntia 2005;12:71â€“89.
6. Olson David F, Barnes RL. Diospyros virginiana L. common persimmon Seeds of woody plants in the United States. Agric Hand book Forest Service; 1974. p. 373-5.
7. Asima C, Satyesh CP. The Treatise on Indian Medicinal Plant. Editors, Publication and Information Directorate: New Delhi; 1995. p. 149.
8. Snedecor GW, Cochran WG. Statistical methods, Indian. 6th reprint Ed. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co Calcutta; 1976. p. 124-6.
9. Suleiman MM, Dzenda T, Sani CA. Antidiarrhoeal activity of the methanol stem-bark extract of Annona senegalensis Pers. (Annonaceae). J Ethnopharm 2008;116:125-30.
10. Panthong A, Kanjanapothi D, Taestikul T, Wongcome T, Reutrakul V. Anti-inflammatory and antipyretic properties of Clerodendron petasites. J Ethnopharm 2003;85:151-6.
11. Gupta MB, Nath R, Srivastava N. Anti inflammatory and antipyretic activities of beta sitosterol. Int J Immunopharmacol 1996;18:693-700.
12. Spacer CB, Breder CD. The neurologic basis of fever. N Engl J Med 1994;330:1880-6.
13. Wagner H. Immunostimulants and adaptogens from plants. Phytochemistry of Medicinal Plants. Plenum Press: New York; 1995. p. 1-18.