THE EFFECT OF THE MEDICATION â€œDICLOCORâ€, CONTAINING DICLOFENAC AND QUERCETIN, ON CLINICO-BIOCHEMICAL PARAMETERS IN RATS WITH OSTEOARTHRITIS
Objective: The aim of this study was to evaluate chondroprotective effect of a combined medication Diclocor in comparison with its active mono components (diclofenac sodium and quercetin).
Methods: The study was conducted on the model of steroid dystrophy of connective tissue in rats. Steroid dystrophy was induced by dexamethasone injections. For evaluation of chondroprotective effect, the following biochemical markers were analyzed: serum concentrations of chondroitin sulfate, sialic acids, glycoproteins, N-acetylglucosamines, total glycosaminoglycans and their fractions, as well as clinical features of the animalsâ€™ condition.
Results: The analyzed parameters under the action of Diclocor were significantly closer to the intact control than those after treatment with diclofenac sodium. There were no significant differences between Diclocor and quercetin groups.
Conclusion: The results have led to a conclusion that Diclocor exhibits pronounced chondroprotective effect which is of the same level as quercetin and significantly exceeds diclofenac sodium.
2. Kovalenko VM. NSAIDs: role and place in contemporary rheumatological practice on the basis of evidence-based medicine. Ukrainian Rheumatological J 2006;1:17-29.
3. Aalbers J. Benefit versus risk in the use of non-selective NSAIDs and selective COX-2 inhibitors. Cardiovasc J Afr 2012;23:356.
4. Ross A, Hauser. The acceleration of articular cartilage degeneration in osteoarthritis by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. J Prolother 2010;2:305-22.
5. Korj NA. Osteoarthritis: conservative therapy. Zolotie stranitsi; 2007.
6. Bakhshaeshi M, Khaki A, Fathiazad F, Khaki AA, Ghadamkheir E. Anti-oxidative role of quercetin derived from Allium cepa on aldehyde oxidase (OX-LDL) and hepatocytes apoptosis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:528-31.
7. Chornoivan NG. Optimization of pharmacological effects of NSAIDs by drugs with polifunctional properties. Kharkiv; 2005.
8. Zupanets IA, Korj NA, Deduh NV, Kovalenko VN, Maltsev VI. Methodical recommendations for experimental and clinical study of antiarthritic (chondromodulating) drugs. Kyiv; 1999.
9. Rebrova OY. Statistical analysis of medical data. Application of a software program STATISTICA. 3rd ed. Moscow: Media Sphera; 2006.
10. Kirkwood, Betty R. Essentials of medical statistics. Blackwell Scientific Publications; 1988.
11. Zhang W, Nuki G, Moskowitz RW. OARSI recommendations for the management of hip and knee osteoarthritis: part III: Changes in evidence following systematic cumulative update of research published through January 2009. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2010;18:476â€“99.
12. Askari G, Ghiasvand R, Feizi A, Ghanadian SM, Karimian J. The effect of quercetin supplementation on selected markers of inflammation and oxidative stress. J Res Med Sci 2012;17:637-41.