COMPARATIVE ASSESSMENT OF ANTIOXIDANT POTENTIAL OF CASSIA AURICULATA (LINN.) FLOWER, LEAF AND SEED METHANOLIC EXTRACTS
Objective: The present study aimed to investigate the antioxidant potential of the methanolic extract of flowers, leaves and seeds of Cassia auriculata (Linn.) along with the quantification of total phenolics and flavonoids content.
Methods: The antioxidant activity of flowers, leaves and seeds of Cassia auriculata (Linn.) was assessed with the help of various in vitro antioxidant assay systems as 2,2-Diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) scavenging assay, reducing power assay and Nitric oxide scavenging assay. For the determination of phenolic content the Folin Ciocalteu method and for flavonoids Aluminium Chloride spectrophotometric method was adopted.
Results: The flowers, leaves and seeds methanolic extracts of Cassia auriculata (Linn.) were screened for different phyto chemicals present and the major antioxidants polyphenols and flavonoids were quantified. All the extracts showed significant antioxidant activity in all assays with the same trend as in total phenolics and flavonoids content. Flowers show most antioxidant activity in all assay systems due to higher phenolics and flavonoids content. That indicated the direct correlation among antioxidant potential, total phenolics and flavonoids content.
Conclusion: The result implies that the Cassia auriculata (Linn.) plant parts especially flowers can be serving as natural sources of antioxidants and could be used in the treatment of diseases that have free-radical origin and as a substitute for synthetic drugs.
2. Gill SS, Tuteja N. Reactive oxygen species and antioxidant machinery in abiotic stress tolerance in crop plants. Plant Physiol Biochem 2010;48:909-30.
3. Madkour FF, Abdel-Daim MM. Hepatoprotective and antioxidant activity of dunaliella salina in paracetamol-induced acute toxicity in rats. Indian J Pharm Sci 2013;75:642-8.
4. Subedi L, Timalsena S, Duwadi P, Thapa R, Paudel A, Parajuli K. Antioxidant activity and phenol and flavonoid contents of eight medicinal plants from Western Nepal. J Tradit Chin Med 2014;34:584-90.
5. Tavasalkar SU, Mishra HN, Madhavan S. Evaluation of antioxidant efficacy of natural plant extracts against synthetic antioxidants in sunflower oil. Scientific Reports 2012;1:1-5.
6. Abdel-Daim, Mohamed M, Ghazy EW. Effects of Nigella Sativa oil and ascorbic acid against oxytetracycline-induced hepato-renal toxicity in rabbits. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2015;18:221â€“7.
7. Soundharajan SR, Ponnusamy RD. Chemical composition and characterization studies of Cassia auriculata flower extract. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:327-30.
8. Anandan A, Eswaran R, Doss A, Sangeetha G, Anand S. Chemical compounds investigation of Cassia auriculata leavesâ€“a potential folklore medicinal plant. Bull Environ Pharmacol Life Sci 2011;1:20-3.
9. Rajgopal P, Reshmi V, Sreejith K, Kiran S, Aneesha S, Premaletha K, et al. Cassia auriculata-A phytopharmacological review. Am J Pharm Health Res 2014;2:1-20.
10. Kumar RS, Ponmozhi M, Nalini M. Effect of Cassia auriculata leaf extracts on lipids in rates with alcoholic liver injury. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2002;11:157-63.
11. Balakrishna RB, Pate JR, Prabhakaran V. Cassia auriculata-a phytopharmacological review. J Adv Drug Res 2011;1:46-57.
12. Vijayraj PS, Muthukumar K, Sabarirajan J, Nachiappan V. Evaluation of antihyperlipidimic activity of ethanolic activity of flower extract of Cassia auricuata. Indian J Biochem Biophys 2011;48:54-8.
13. Prasanna R, Harish CC, Pichai R, Sakthisekaran D, Gunasekaran P. Anticancer effect of Cassia auriculata leaf extract in vitro through cell cycle arrest and induction of apoptosis in human breast and larynx cancer cell lines. Cell Biol Int 2009;33:127-34.
14. Ayo RG, Amupitan JO, Ndukwe IG, Audu OT. Some chemical constituents of the leaves of Cassia nigricans vahl. Afr J Pure Appl Chem 2009;3:208-11.
15. Devi VS, Ushanandhini R, Kuppusamy A, Muthuswamy U, Andichettiar TS, Puliyath J. Antioxidant activity of Cassia auriculata Linn flowers. Pharmacologyonline 2011;2:490-8.
16. Elayarani M, Shanmuganathan P, Muthukumaran P. In vitro anti-oxidant activity of the various extracts of Cassia auriculata L. flower by UV spectrophotometer. Asian J Pharm Technol 2011;1:70-2.
17. Velavan S, Arivoli P, Mahadevan K. Biological reduction of silver nanoparticles using Cassia auriculata flower extract and evaluation of their in vitro antioxidant activities. Nanosci Nanotechnol Int J 2012;2:30-5.
18. Raghavendra M, Reddy AM, Yadav PR, Raju AS, Kumar LS. Comparative studies on the in vitro antioxidant properties of methanolic leafy extracts from six edible leafy vegetables of India. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:96-9.
19. Kulkarni A, Govindappa M, Channabasava C, Ramachandra Y, Koka P. Phytochemical analysis of Cassia species and its in-vitro antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-Inflammatory activities. Adv Med Plant Res 2015;3:8-17.
20. Terao J, Pi skula MK. Flavonoids and membrane lipid peroxidation inhibition. Nutrition 1999;15:790-1
21. Singh T, Kasture SB, Mohanty PK, Jaliwala Y, Karchuli MS. In-Vitro antioxidative activity of phenolic and flavonoid compounds extracted from fruit of Garcinia indica. Int J pharma life sci 2011;2:613-6.
22. Ratty AK, Das NP. Effects of flavonoids on nonenzymatic lipid peroxidation: structure-activity relationship. Biochem Med Metab Biol 1988;39:69-79.
23. Chang C, Yang M, Wen H, Chern J. Estimation of total flavonoid content in Propolis by two complementary colorimetric methods. J Food Drug Anal 2002;10:178-82.
24. Blois MS. Antioxidant determination by use of stable free radicals. Nature 2009;181:1199-1200.
25. Oyaizu M. Antioxidative activities of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Jap J Nutri 1986;44:307-15.
26. Balakrishnan N, Panda AB, Raj NR, Shrivastava A, Prathani R. The evaluation of nitric oxide scavenging activity of Acalypha indica Linn root. Asi J Res Chem 2009;2:148-50.
27. Anesini C, Ferraro GE, Filip R. Total polyphenol content and antioxidant capacity of commercially available tea (Camellia sinensis) in Argentina. J Agri Food Chem 2008;56:9225-9.
28. Zhao X, Zhang W, Yin X, Su M, Sun C, Li X, Chen K. Phenolic Composition and Antioxidant Properties of Different Peach [Prunus persica (L.) Batsch] Cultivars in China. Int J Mol Sci 2015;16:5762-78.
29. Juan-Badaturuge M, Habtemariam S, Thomas V. Antioxidant compounds from a South Asian beverage and medicinal plant, Cassia auriculata. Food Chem 2011;125:221â€“5.
30. Priyadarshani S, Sujatha D. Comparative study of antioxidant activities of Cassia auriculata and Cassia siamea flowers. Int J Pharm 2011;2:208-12.
31. Yesu RJ, Paul JV, Joy. Chemical compounds investigation of Cassia auriculata seeds: a potential folklore medicinal plant. Asian J Plant Sci Res 2012;2:187-92.
32. Radha R, Prasad M, Lakshmi M, Murthy BR, Kumar RM, Sitaram B, et al. In-vitro antioxidant activity of Cassia auriculata leaves. Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2013;2:597-602.
33. Eleazu CO, Iroaganachi MA, Eleazu KC, Okoronkwo JO. Determination of the physico-chemical composition, microbial quality and free radical scavenging activities of some commercially sold honey samples in Aba, Nigeria: â€˜The effect of varying coloursâ€™. Int J Biomed Res 2013;4:32-41.
34. Gaikwad SA, Kamble GS, Devare S, Deshpande NR, Salvekar Jyoti P. In vitro evaluation of free radical scavenging potential of Cassia auriculata L. J Chem Pharm Res 2011:3:766-72.
35. Jyothi SG, Chavan CS, Somashekaraiah BV. In vitro and In vivo antioxidant and antidiabetic efficacy of Cassia auriculata L. flowers. Global J Pharmacol 2012;6:33-40.
36. Sumathy R, Sankaranarayanan S, Bama P, Ramachandran J, Vijayalakshmi M, Deecaraman M. Antibacterial and antioxidant activity of flavanoid rich fraction from the petals of Cassia auriculataâ€“an in-vitro study. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;2:492-7.
37. Moncada A, Palmer RMJ, Higgs EA. Nitric oxide: Physiology, Pathophysiology and Pharmacology. Pharmacol Rev 1991;43:109â€42.
38. Murali A, Ashok P, Madhavan V. In vitro antioxidant activity and HPTLC studies on the roots and rhizomes of Smilax zeylanica l. (smilacaceae). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:192-5.
39. Doshi GM, Shahare MD, Aggarwal GV, Pillai PG, Desai SK. Evaluation of in-vitro antioxidant methods of Cassia auriculata. Pharm Lett 2011;3:297-305.