IN VITRO MULTIPLE SHOOT REGENERATION STUDIES IN CYPERUS ROTUNDUS L.
Objective: Cyperus rotundus L (Cyperaceae) is one of the highly valuable, potent, multipurpose medicinal herb used in traditional medicine for treatment of several human alignments. To meet the growing herbal needs of pharma industry, we made an attempt on in vitro regeneration of C. rotundus by using rhizome explants.
Methods: Rhizome explants were inoculated on both solid and liquid Murashige and Skoog [MS] media supplemented with various concentrations of Kinetin [Kn], 2,4-Dichloro phenoxy acetic acid [2,4-D], Naphthalene acetic acid [NAA], Indole-3-butyric acid [IBA] and activated charcoal for in vitro regeneration of multiple shoots and root induction.
Results: Efficient multiple shoots induction (88.9%) was observed on MS liquid media containing 3.0 mg/l 2,4-D+3.0 mg/l NAA+0.5 mg/l Kn after two weeks of explant inoculation with an average number of shoots 9.56Â±0.35 per explant. Further, we noticed effective root induction (82.3%) from these in vitro grown shoots on root induction media containing 1.0 mg/l IBA with 500 mg/l activated charcoal.
Conclusion: Overall, it suggests that this rapid and reliable protocol will be useful for mass multiplication of plantlets and maintenance of germ plasm throughout the year without seasonal constraints.
2. Dahanukar S, Kulkarni R, Rege N. Pharmacology of medicinal plants and natural products. Indian J Pharmacol 2000;32 Suppl:81-118.
3. Akin-Idowu PE, Ibitoye DO, Ademoyegun OT. Tissue culture as a plant production technique for horticultural crops. Afr J Biotechnol 2009;16:3782-8.
4. Goetghebeur P. Cyperaceae. In: K Kubitzki. The families and genera of vascular plants: Alismataneae and Commelinanae (except Gramineae). Springer-Verlag, Berlin; 1998. p. 141-90.
5. Archer C. Plant Life; 1998. p. 18, 14.
6. Marwat SK, Khan MA. Biodiversity of sedges in dera ismail khan district nwfp Pakistan. Sarhad J Agric 2008;2:293-304.
7. Chopra RN, Nayar SL, Chopra IC. Glossary of indian medicinal plants, Publications & Information Directorate: New Delhi, India; 1956.
8. Singh N, Kulshrestha VK, Gupta MB, Bhargava KP. A pharmacological study of Cyperus rotundus.â€ Indian J Med Res 1970;58:103â€“9.
9. Lavanya K, Chakravarthy R, Krishna MSR. In vitro flower induction and multiple shoot regeneration studies in Cyperus Scariosus R. Br from axillary bud explants. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2014;1:697â€“705.
10. Murashige T, Skoog F. A revised medium for rapid growth and bio assays with tobacco cultures. Physical Plant 1962;15:473-97.
11. Thepsithar C, Euawong N, Jonghomkajorn N. In vitro propagation of purple nutsedge (Cyperus rotundus L.) for useful chemical extraction. Int J Biol Food Veterinary Agric Eng 2013;8:454-8.
12. Mohamed-Yasseen Y, Splittstoesser WE. Multiplication of Cyperus alternifolius from axillary buds in vitro: instructive laboratory exercise.â€ Plant Growth Regul Soc Am 1992;20:83-9.
13. Benazir JF, Mathithumilan B, Ravichandran P, Jochebed V, Suganthi R, Manimekalai V. In vitro regeneration of nut sedge (Cyperus pangorei Rottb).â€ J Plant Biochem Biotechnol 2009;18:209-15.
14. Lai KC, Pey SL, Mang LC, Pey LB. Establishment of Cyperus aromaticus cell suspension cultures for the production of Juvenile hormone IIIâ€. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol: Plant 2010;1:8-12.