DIFFERENCE SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF MOXIFLOXACIN AND CEFIXIME TRIHYDRATE IN BULK AND COMBINED DOSAGE FORM
Objective: To develop rapid, accurate, reproducible, validated and economical difference spectroscopy method for the simultaneous determination of moxifloxacin (MFN) and cefixime (CEF) in tablet dosage forms.
Methods: The method comprised the measurement of the absorbance of a solution of the tablet extract in 0.1 M NaOH relative to that of an equimolar solution in 0.1 M HC1 at 254 nm for MFN and 292 nm for CEF. The presence of identical isosbestic points for pure drug solutions and tablet extracts indicated the non-interference of excipients in the absorption at these wavelengths.
Results: The method was found to be linear over the concentration range of 10-50 Î¼g/ml for CEF and 4-20 Î¼g/ml for MFN. Accuracy was found to be in the range of 99.91-101.18%. Relative standard deviation for precision and intermediate precision was found to be less than 2%. The developed method was successfully applied for the simultaneous estimation of Moxifloxacin and Cefixime in tablet formulation. The results obtained from the validation experiments prove that the developed method is suitable for routine analysis.
Conclusion: This method is simple, selective, linear, precise, and accurate and sensitive hence can be successfully employed for the routine quality control of dosage forms containing both the drugs in pharmaceutical industries.
2. Hooper DC, Wolfson JS. Mechanisms of quinolone action and bacterial killings Quinolone Antimicrobial Agents, American Society for Microbiology. Vol. 1-2nd Edition. Washington DC; 1993. p. 53â€“7.
3. Claudia CO. Analytical profiles of drug substances, excipient and methodology. An Imprint Elsevier 1998:25:39-89.
4. Dhib M, Moulin B, Godin R. Relationship between renal function and disposition of oral cefixime. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1991;41:579-83.
5. Faulkner RD, Bohaychuk W, Desjardins RE, Look ZM, Haynes JD, Weiss AI, et al. Bioequivalency of solid oral dosage forms of Cefixime. J Clin Pharmacol 1987;27:807.
6. Faulkner RD, Fernandez P, Lawrence G, Sia LL, Falkowski AJ, Weiss AI, et al. Absolute bioavailability of cefixime in man. J Clin Pharmacol 1988;28:700.
7. Faulkner RD, Bohaychuk W, Hayne JD, Dejardins RE, Yacobi A, Silber BM. Influence of an antacid containing aluminium and magnesium on thepharmacokinetics of cefixime. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1988;34:525-8.
8. Markham A, Brogden RN. Cefixime-a review of its therapeutic efficacy in lower respiratory tract infections. Drugs 1995;49:1007-22.
9. Parfit K. Martindale the complete drug reference. 35th edition. Vol. 1. Pharmaceutical press; 2007. p. 59.
10. http://www.medlineindia.com/cefixime. [Last accessed on 05 Jun 2015]
11. British Pharmacopoeia. Vol. I-II. Government British Pharmacopoeial Commission; 2011. p. 1489.
12. Indian pharmacopoeia. Vol. 2. Government of India, the Controller Publication, New Delhi; 2010. p. 1012.
13. Japanese Pharmacopoeia. 15th edition. Society of Japanese Pharmacopoeia, Tokyo; 2006;443:938-9.
14. Attimarad M, Anroop B. Simultaneous determination of ofloxacin and cefixime by first and ratio first derivative UV spectrophotometry. Chron Young Sci 2011;2:144â€“9.
15. Shankar DG, Sushma K, Laxmi RV, Reddy MN, Murthy TK, Rao SY. UV and visible spectrophotometric methods for the determination of cefixime. Indian Drugs 2001;38:617â€“9.
16. Bukhari N, Al-Warthan A, Wabaidur SM, Othman ZA, Javid M, Haider S. Spectrofluorimetric determination of cefixime in pharmaceutical preparation and biological fluids using calcein as a fluorescence probe. Sens Lett 2010;8:280â€“4.
17. Dhoka MV, Sandage SJ, Dumbre SC. Simultaneous determination of cefiximetrihydrate and dicloxacillin sodium in pharmaceutical dosage form by reversedphase highperformance liquid chromatography. J AOAC Int 2010;93:531â€“5.
18. Gonzalez-Hernandez R, Nuevas-Paz L, Soto-MuletL, Lopez-Lopez M, Hoogmartens J. Reversed phase high performance liquid chromatographic determination of cefixime in bulk drugs. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 2001;24:2315â€“24.
19. Hafiz Muhammad A, Shahnaz G, Raheela B, Muhammad IN. Development of HPLC-UV Method for analysis of cefiximein raw materials and in capsule. Jordan J Pharm Sci 2009;2:53â€“65.
20. Khan IU, Sharif S, Ashfaq M, Asghar MN. Simultaneous determination of potassium clavulanate and cefixime in synthetic mixtures by highperformance liquid chromatography. J AOAC Int 2008;91:744â€“9.
21. Manna L, Valvo L. Development and validation of a fast reversed-phase ion-pairing liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous determination of eight cephalosporin antibiotics in pharmaceutical formulations. Chromatographia 2004;60:645â€“9.
22. Rathinavel G, Mukherjee PB, Valarmathy J, Samuel Joshua L, Ganesh M, Sivakumar T, et al. Validated RPâ€“HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of cefixime and cloxacillin in tablets. Eur J Chem 2008;5:648â€“51.
23. Shah PB, Pundarikakshudu K. Spectrophotometric, difference spectroscopic, and high-performance liquid chromatographic methods for the determination of cefixime in pharmaceutical formulations. J AOAC Int 2006;89:987â€“94.
24. Meng F, Chen X, Zeng Y, Zhong D. Sensitive liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method for the determination of cefixime in human plasma: application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2005;819:277â€“82.
25. Pawar SJ, Kale AP, Amrutkar MP, Jagade JJ, Pore NS, Bhosale AV. HPTLC estimation of cefixime and cloxacillin in tablet dosage form. Asian J Res Chem 2010;3:299â€“301.
26. S. Budavari, Eds. In: The Merck Index: Encyclopedia of Chemicals, drugs and biological. 13th Ed. New Jersey: Published by Merck Research Laboratories, Division of Merck and Co., Inc. Whitehouse station; 2001. p. 1097, 1125.
27. Keating GM, Scott LJ. Moxifloxacin: a review of its use in the management of bacterial infections. Drugs 2004;64:2347â€“77.
28. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxifloxacin. [Last accessed on 10 Jun 2015]
29. http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00218. [Last accessed on 10 Jun 2015]
30. Rang HP, Dale MM, Ritter JM. Flower. Pharmacology. 6th Edition. Elsevier publication house; 2001. p. 647-8.
31. http://www.rxlist.com/vigamox-drug.htm. [Last accessed on 10 Jun 2015]
32. http://www.medlineindia.com/eye/moxifloxacin.htm. [Last accessed on 10 Jun 2015]
33. British pharmacopeia. Vol II-III. 6th edition. London: Her Majestyâ€™s Stationary Office; 2010. p. 1460.
34. Motwani SK, Chopra S, Ahmad FJ, Khar RK. Validated spectrophotometric methods for the estimation of moxifloxacin in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2007;68:250â€“6.
35. Patel PU, Suhagia BN, Patel MM. Simultaneous spectro photometric determination of Moxifloxacin and Metronidazole in synthetic mixture by simultaneous equations method. Indian Drugs 2005;2:155â€“7.
36. OcaÃ±a JA, BarragÃ¡n FJ, CallejÃ³n M. Spectrofluorimetric determination of moxifloxacin in tablets, human urine and serum. Analyst 2000;125:2322â€“5.
37. Predrag D, Andrija C, Aleksandra D, Milena Jelikic S. Optimization of separation and determination of moxifloxacin and its related substances by RP-HPLC. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2009;50:117â€“26.
38. Nguyena HA, Grelleta J, Ba BB, Quentin C, Saux MC. Simultaneous determination of levofloxacin, gatifloxacin and moxifloxacin in serum by liquid chromatography with column switching. J Chromatogr B 2004;810:77â€“83.
39. Smet JD, Boussery K, Colpaert K, Suttera PD, Paepe PD, Decruyenaere J, et al. Pharmacokinetics of fluoroquinolones in critical care patients: a bio-analytical HPLC method for the simultaneous quantification of ofloxacin, ciprofloxacin and moxifloxacin in human plasma. J Chromatogr B 2009;877:961â€“7.
40. Pranger AD, Alffenaar JW, Wessels AM, Greijdanus B, Uges DR. Determination of moxifloxacin in human plasma, plasma ultra filtrate and cerebrospinal fluid by a rapid and simple liquid chromatographyâ€“tandem mass spectrometry method. J Anal Toxicol 2010;34:135â€“41.
41. Vu DH, Koster RA, Alffenaar JW, Brouwers JR, Uges DR. Determination of moxifloxacin in dried blood spots using LC-MS/MS and the impact of the hematocrit and blood volume. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2011;879:1063â€“70.
42. Cruz LA, Hall R. Enantiomeric purity assay of moxifloxacin hydrochloride by capillary electrophoresis. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2005;38:8â€“13.
43. Moller JG, Stass H, Heining R, Blaschke G. Capillary electrophoresis with laser induced fluorescence: a routine method to determine moxifloxacin in human body fluids in very small sample volumes. J Chromatgr B 1998;716:325â€“34.
44. http://cdsco.nic.in/writereaddata/Aprroved%20FDC%20list%20till%20november%202014. pdf [Last accessed on 15 Jun 2015]
45. ICH Harmonized Tripartile Guideline. Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1), International Conference on Harmonization, Geneva, Switzerland Nov; 2005.