SIMULTANEOUS DETERMINATION OF CARVEDILOL AND HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE IN PHARMACEUTICAL DOSAGE FORM BY FIRST ORDER DERIVATIVE UV SPECTROPHOTOMETRY
Objective: To develop an accurate, precise and linear UV spectrophotometry method for simultaneous determination of Carvedilol and Hydrochlorothiazide in Co-DilatrolÂ® tablet and validate as per ICH guidelines.
Methods: Derivative spectrophotometric methods: The amplitudes in simultaneous determination of the first order derivative of the resultant spectra at 301 nm and at 278 nm were selected to find out Carvedilol and Hydrochlorothiazide respectively in its tablet dosage form by using methanol as a solvent.
Results: The linearity was found to be 5-25 Î¼g/ml for Carvedilol and Hydrochlorothiazide. The mean % recoveries were found to be 101.13% and 99.02% for simultaneous determination of first order derivatives method of Carvedilol and Hydrochlorothiazide. For Intraday precision, Inter day precision % RSD was found to be 0.0082, 0.6304 and 0.0096, 0.6354 for Carvedilol and 0.0085, 0.6257 and 0.0083, 0.6398 for Hydrochlorothiazide respectively. Limit of Detection and Quantitation was found to be 0.7852Î¼g/ml and 2.2539Î¼g/ml for Carvedilol and 0.7859Î¼g/ml and 2.3571Î¼g/ml for Hydrochlorothiazide. Assay results of market formulation were found to be 100.89% for simultaneous determination of the first order derivatives method of Carvedilol and Hydrochlorothiazide. The proposed method has been validated as per ICH guidelines and successfully applied to the simultaneous determination of the first order derivatives method of Carvedilol and Hydrochlorothiazide in its tablet dosage form.
Conclusion: A simple, accurate, precise, linear and rapid UV spectrophotometry method was developed for simultaneous determination of Carvedilol and Hydrochlorothiazide in Co-DilatrolÂ® tablet and validated as per ICH guidelines. Hence it can be used for the routine analysis of Carvedilol and Hydrochlorothiazide in tablets in various pharmaceutical industries.
2. Rajan V Rele, Prathamesh P Tiwatane. UV Spectrophotometric estimation of carvedilol hydrochloride by first order derivative and area under curve methods in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Pharm Sin 2014;5:29-35.
3. Ansary A, Abdel-Moety MM, Abdel Gawad FM, Ether AM, Khater MM. Simultaneous determination of carvedilol and hydrochlorothiazide in tablets and spiked human plasma using derivative spectrophotometry. Pharm Anal Acta 2012;3:1-6.
4. Belal TS, Shaalan RA, El Yazbi FA, Elonsy SM. Validated stability-indicating HPLC-DAD determination of antihypertensive binary mixture of carvedilol and hydrochlorthiazide in tablet dosage forms. Chromatographia 2013;76:1707-20.
5. Alzoman NZ, Sultan MA, Maher HM, Al-Shehri MM, Ola IV. Validated stability-indicating capillary electrophoresis method for the separation and determination of a fixed-dose combination of carvedilol and hydrochlorothiazide in tablets. J AOAC Int 2013;96:951-9.
6. Patel HM, Pancholi SS, Jivani NP. UV Spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of carvedilol and hydrochlorthiazide in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form by simultaneous equation method. Inventi Rapid Pharm Anal Quality Assurance 2013;1:49-56.
7. LJ Patel, BN Suhagia, PB Shah, RR Shah. Rp-Hplc and hptlc methods for the estimation of carvedilol in bulk drug and pharmaceutical formulations. Indian J Pharm Sci 2006;68:790-3.
8. Hapse SA, Wagh VS, Kadaskar PT, Dokhe MD, Shirsath AS. Spectrophotometric estimation and validation of hydrochlorothiazide in tablet dosage forms by using different solvents. Scholars Res Library Pharm Chem 2012;4:10-4.
9. Venkatesan Subramanian, Kannappan Nagappan. Analytical method development and validation of telmisartan and hydrochlorothiazide in tablets using orthogonal polynomial function method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:73-5.
10. Vrushali Tambe, Vijaya Vichare, Ujjawala Kandekar, Shashikant Dhole. Novel Uv spectrophotometric methods for estimation of ramipril and hydrochlorothiazide by simultaneous equation and area under curve method. Int J Appl Pharm 2010;2:20-2.
11. Sachin Bhagwate, NJ Gaikwad. Stability Indicating HPLC method for the determination of hydrochlorothiazide in pharmaceutical dosage form. J Appl Pharm Sci 2013;3:88-92.
12. T Gopala Swamya, K Nagarajub, A Lakshmana Rao. Rp-Hplc Method for the simultaneous estimation of telmisartan and hydrochlorothiazide in pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Drug Dev Res 2011;3:362-8.
13. Audumbar Digambar Mali. Zero, First, Second order derivative and area under curve spectrophotometric methods for determination of cefixime trihydrate in pharmaceutical formulation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:321-5.
14. Subramaniyanvenkatesan, Nagappankannappan. Development and validation of spectrophotometric method using vierordtâ€™s method for simultaneous estimation of moxifloxacin and cefixime in tablet formulation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:768-72.
15. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) of Technical Requirements for the registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human use, Validation of Analytical Procedures Methodology. ICH-Q2 (R1), Geneva; 1996. p. 1-8.