DESIGN, SYNTHESIS AND ANTIFUNGAL EVALUATION OF NOVEL SUBSTITUTED 1, 3, 4-OXADIAZOLES, AND 1, 3, 4-THIADIAZOLES
Objective: The purpose of this research is to evaluate the antifungal activity of synthesized conjugates of thiophene with 1, 3, 4-oxadiazoles and 1, 3, 4-thiadiazoles using in vitro methods.
Methods: The series of (IVa-e) and (Va-e) compounds were synthesized from thiosemicarbazide (IIIa-e) series by treating with iodine-sodium hydroxide mixture and by phosphoric acid cyclization respectively. Thiosemicarbazides (IIIa-e) were prepared by the reaction of 2â€“amino-4, 5, 6, 7-tetrahydro-benzo[b]thiophene-3-carbohydrazide (II) with substituted isothiocyanates. Carbohydrazide (II) was synthesized by the reaction of hydrazine hydrate with ethyl 2â€“amino-4, 5, 6, 7-tetrahydrobenzeno[b]thiophene-3-carboxylate (I), which was prepared by one pot synthesis method. Finally, the synthesized compound series was characterized by physicochemical and spectral data (IR, NMR and Mass) and evaluated for in vitro antifungal activity against Candida albicans and Aspergillus niger using disc diffusion method. The percentage inhibition was calculated with reference to the standard drug.
Results: The structures of the synthesized conjugates of thiophene with 1, 3, 4-oxadiazoles and 1, 3, 4â€“thiadiazoles were confirmed by IR, NMR, and Mass spectroscopic techniques. The results of bioassay were indicated that some synthesized compounds IVd, IVe, Vd, and Ve exhibited moderate antifungal activities against Candida albicans and Aspergillus niger; whereas compounds IVb, IVc, Vb, and Vc showed prominent antifungal activities when compared to standard drug, Fluconazole.
Conclusion: Present study demonstrates the synthesis of conjugates of thiophene with 1, 3, 4-oxadiazoles and 1, 3, 4â€“thiadiazoles. These compounds were evaluated for in vitro antifungal activity against Candida albicans and Aspergillus niger using disc diffusion method. The compounds IVd, IVe, Vd, and Ve exhibited moderate antifungal activities, whereas compounds IVb, IVc, Vb, and Vc showed prominent antifungal activities.
2. Farshori NN, Banday MR, Ahmad A, Khan AU, Rauf A. Synthesis, characterization, and in vitro antimicrobial activities of 5-alkenyl/hydroxyalkenyl-2-phenylamine-1,3,4-oxadiazoles and thiadiazoles. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2010;20:1933-8.
3. Hasan A, Thomas NF, Gapil S. Synthesis, Characterization and antifungal evaluation of 5-Substituted-4-Amino-1,2,4-Triazole-3-Thioesters. Molecules 2011;16:1297-309.
4. Nogrady T, Weaver DF. Medicinal Chemistry. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press, Inc; 2005.
5. Shivaraj Gouda T, Upadhyaya P, Salahuddin M, Shanta Kumar SM. Synthesis, Characterization and biological activity of some thiophene substituted biheterocycles containing oxadiazoles. Asian J Chem 2009;21:7155-62.
6. George T, Mehta DV, Tahilramani R, Davvid J, Talwalker PK. Synthesis of some triazoles with potential analgesic and antiinflammatory activities. J Med Chem 1971;14:335-8.
7. Sharma S, Srivatsava VK, Kumar A. Synthesis of some newer indolylâ€“thiadiazolyl-pyrazolines as potential anti-inflammatory agent. Indian J Chem 2002;41B:2647-54.
8. Amir M, Kumar S. Synthesis of some 2,5-disubstituted 1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives and their anti-inflammatory activity. Indian J Heterocycl Chem 2004;14:51-4.
9. Almasirad A, Tabatabai SA, Faizi M, Kebriaeezadeh A, Mehrabi N, Dalvandi A. Synthesis and anticonvulsant activity of new 2-substituted-5-[2-(2-fluorophenoxy)phenyl]-1,3,4-oxadiazoles and 1,2,4-triazoles. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2004;14:6057-9.
10. Chapleo CB, Myers PL, Smith ACB, Tulloch IF, Waltar DS. Substituted 1, 3, 4-thiadiazole with anticonvulsant activity. J Med Chem 1987;30:951-4.
11. Saksena RK, Puri S, Prakash R. Synthesis of 2-(aryloxy methyl)-5-(2â€²-mercapto acetylamino benzoxazol-2â€²-yl)-1,3,4-thiadiazoles as potential anthelmintic agents. Indian J Heterocycl Chem 2003;13:127-30.
12. Jain SK, Mishra P. Preparation and evaluation of 1, 3, 4-thiadiazole as diuretic agents. Indian J Chem 2004;43B:184-8.
13. Shashikant PR, Rabara PA, Jayashri PS. Synthesis and evaluation of some novel substituted 1,3,4-oxadiazole and pyrazole derivatives for Anti-tubercular activity. Indian J Chem 2009;48B:1453-6.
14. Puratchikody A, GopalaKrishnan S, Nallu M. Synthesis and pharmacological evaluation of some potent 2-(4-Substitutedphenyl)-4,5-Diphenyl-1H-Imidazoles. Indian J Pharm Sci 2005;67:725-31.
15. Karegoudar P, Karthikeyan MS, Prasad DJ, Mahalinga M, Holla BS, Kumari NS. Synthesis of some novel 2,4-disubstituted thiazoles as possible antimicrobial agents. Eur J Med Chem 2008;43:261â€“7.
16. El-masry AH, Fahmy HH, Ali SH, Waheed A. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some new benzimidazole derivatives. Molecules 2000;5:1429-38.
17. Orabi AS, Moneim MA, El-Din Salem E, El-Din Abdel-Fattah M. Synthesis and physicochemical studies of some antimicrobial active triazole metal complexes. Pol J Chem 2000;74:1675-83.
18. Babu V, Saritha M, Sreenuvasulu N, Narasimharao R, Reddy KKK. Synthesis and biological evaluation of some novel tetrahydro Benzo(b)Thiophene analogues. J Pharm Res 2011;4:1553-9.
19. Moustafa MA. Novel analogues of sydnone: synthesis, Characterization and antibacterial evaluation. Arch Pharm 2004;337:427-33.
20. Ahmed GM, Bialy E, Atta SA. Synthesis and antioxidant evaluation of novel sophisticated carboxamides based on 3-(ethoxycarbonyl)-4, 5, 6, 7-tetrahydro-1-benzothiophen-2-amine. Eur J Chem 2014;5:644-51.
21. Alagarsamy V. Synthesis and pharmacological Investigation of 3-Subsituted-amino-2-methylsulfanyl-5,6,7,8-tetrahydro-3H-benzo[4,5]thieno[2,3-d]pyrimidin-4-ones as analgesic and Anti-Inflammatory agents. Arch Pharm 2007;340:352-8.
22. Kamal El-Dean AM. Synthesis of some Pyridothienopyrazolopyrimidopyrimidine and Mercaptomethylpyrazolopyrimidine derivatives. Phosphorus Sulfur Silicon Relat Elem 2009;184:2034-48.
23. Aneja KR. Experiments in microbiology, Plant pathology and biotechnology. 2nd ed. New Delhi, New Age International (P) Limited, Publishers; 2007. p. 580-99.
24. Bhat MA, Al-Omar MA, Siddiqui N. Antimicrobial activity of schiff bases of coumarin-incorporated 1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives: an in-vitro evaluation. Med Chem Res 2013;22:4455-8.
25. Chen CJ, Song BA, Yang S, Xu GF, Bhadury PS, Jin LH, et al. Synthesis and antifungal activities of 5-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-2-sulfonyl-1,3,4-thiadiazole and 5-(3,4,5-trimeth-oxyphenyl)-2-sulfonyl-1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem 2007;15:3981-9.
26. Liu F, Luo XQ, Song BA, Bhadury PS, Yang S, Jin LH, et al. Synthesis and antifungal activity of novel sulfoxide derivatives containing trimethoxyphenyl substituted 1,3,4-thiadiazole and 1,3,4-oxadiazole moiety. Bioorg Med Chem 2008,16:3632-40.
27. Wu J, Wang J, Hu DY, He M, Jin LH, Song BA. Synthesis and antifungal activity of novel pyrazolecarboxamide derivatives containing a hydrazone moiety. Chem Cent J 2012;6:51-8.